Badger's Hasegawa 1/72 Churchill - completed!

Hi all

Latest build - once again this is something from the shelf of shame that I built, painted and decaled several years ago but then stalled with.

I'll reveal the tank later but for now here's a teaser;

SHQ early war British soldier with his overscale and inaccurate rifle removed and replaced with a Hauler resin one with etched strap.

IMG_20180630_221011

Completed base made up of the usual cheap readymix plaster over some sections of foamboard to create the banks.

This was then textured whilst still wet with shotblasting powder and some fine gravel. The fence was scratchbuilt from evergreen strips and the foliage is a variety of makes sold as pre-made clumps 

IMG_20180630_221221

Painting tank crew at the moment, and the tank itself needs some details painting and the weathering applying.

Bragging points will be awarded to anyone who correctly guesses the tank before I reveal it :coolio:

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Could it be a Churchill?  :hmmm:

:P

3 hours ago, Graeme H said:

Great base work there, my guess is Sherman

Thanks for looking in on this.

It is indeed a Churchill!

I built this a couple of years ago and am aware my choice of paint for SCC.2 is the wrong shade (I used some tamiya instructions as a guide). However as I had already decaled it I wasn't going to repaint it

2018-07-01_08-52-12

And almost finished crew figures

2018-07-01_08-55-47

All the best

Ben

• Like 7

Cheers chaps!

I rather like churchills and have a fair few in the stash to build.

This is the Hasegawa kit, built as a Mk I during a training exercise in the UK in 1942.

Considering the age of the kit it built up well with a few small additions, such as metal main gun and mg barrels, 3in howitzer replaced with Albion alloys tube, tow cables added, pads added to inside of hatches and probably some other stuff I have forgotten.

It needs the tools and some other details painting, aerials and sight vanes adding and weathering.

Crew need goggles and headphones painting and badges adding then I need to paint the standing infantryman.

Hopefully should be able to clear this over the next few weeks, then I really need to get back to my airfix pup in the group build.

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

Some progress tonight but no photos as phone battery died - will take some tomorrow.

Standing figure painted ready for shading washes and insignia.

Tank has had the tools and mg barrel painted but just realised I forgot the spare track links.

Tank commander has had his hair and moustache painted.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

As promised - photos of the standing infantryman.

2018-07-02_08-17-322018-07-02_08-17-40

Still needs shading and insignia adding

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

I admire your skill - adding insignia at that scale - your eyesight is better than mine for sure.

• Thanks 1

Wash added and insignia painted to represent a lance corporal of the 3rd Infantry Division

IMG_20180702_211953IMG_20180702_212004

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

1 minute ago, badger said:

Wash added and insignia painted to represent a lance corporal of the 3rd Infantry Division

IMG_20180702_211953IMG_20180702_212004

All the best

Ben

Are these just painted on - or are they tiny decals.  I have seen insignia decals in 1/35 - but not 1/72... 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Are these just painted on - or are they tiny decals.  I have seen insignia decals in 1/35 - but not 1/72... 

Painted on with a very small brush, thinned paint and prayers!

I wish someone did decals, but then I actually rather enjoy it :bangin:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, badger said:

Painted on with a very small brush, thinned paint and prayers!

I wish someone did decals, but then I actually rather enjoy it :bangin:

Maybe an business opportunity there for someone - for nutters like us to wreck our nerves even more whilst trying to apply them...:mental:

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Maybe an business opportunity there for someone - for nutters like us to wreck our nerves even more whilst trying to apply them...:mental:

Indeed and I'd be very happy to support their endeavours!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, badger said:

Indeed and I'd be very happy to support their endeavours!

me too as it happens ;)

Sadly the recent heat wave has stalled this for the present as it is too hot to paint!!

Should cool off later in the week so I can get back to it then.

• Sad 2

With the heatwave abating slightly today and a much cooler evening I've been able to get back to this.

I needed to start the weathering process and apply some streaking and filters using enamel paints so as not to damage the acrylic base coat. I tried this over the weekend but due to the heat they were drying too fast before I could get the effect I wanted.

Tonight has been much more successful with all the washes, filters and streaking applied ready for a final pastel application of dust to blend it into.the base.

I've knocked off the chuffing turret hatch again and the spare track links still need a little work.

Then I have aerials and an etched sight vane to add before the two crew figures are added and its finished.

IMG_20180710_232532IMG_20180710_232538IMG_20180710_232548

Hopefully more tomorrow

All the best

Ben

• Like 5

Looking superb Ben!  :thumbsup: 

TBH I wouldn't add too much to the turret, it looks close to spot on already.  I would maybe take a tiny drill to the exhausts though.....Risky with the soft plastic I know.  :unsure:

• Thanks 1

Cheers Sarge

I did try drilling out the exhausts but it doesn't show too well - will have another go and drop a darker colour in to highlight it.

Just a little pastel dust to add, mostly around the lower hull to blend it into the base.

Almost finished now - would like to get it done tonight but have some meetings tomorrow I'd prefer not to yawning all the way through so reluctantly have had to pack it in.

Really enjoyed this one and have two more to do, courtesy of your stash!!

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

Ben - as said above - brilliant work - this hot weather has been a killer on the painting front.  Looking forward to the final result :goodjob:

20 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Very nice Churchill 👍

13 hours ago, BIG X said:

Ben - as said above - brilliant work - this hot weather has been a killer on the painting front.  Looking forward to the final result :goodjob:

Hi chaps

Thanks for the kind comments - hoping to get a bit more done tonight as I'd like to finish this up.

All the best

Ben