DC-10-30 Garuda Indonesia Revell 1/144 with heavy surgery work

I received this kit from a modelling friend who got it from someone else too.

It was already started,although in very bad condition.It must have been started some 20+ years ago with some parts already glued and terribly painted.

My friend was unsure what to do with it,so he gave it to me,hoping that I might have some use for it,being as a parts donator for my other DC-10s.

I thought I try to save it and repaint and finish the build.But as the Revell kit has its issues,I tried to correct some areas and enhance the overall look of  the kit.

Changes / corrections I made;

- Correcting the nose,cockpit area

- Rework the engines ( extending the mountings and rework the intakes and exhausts)

- adding the APU

- extend the wingbox to match the DC-10-30 (kit is more a DC-10-10)

- lowering the slats like they were when the DC-10 was on the ground

It took quite a while to get all as it should be,the wingbox was the most time consuming area.

The decals come from 26,NAZCA and Authentic airliners.

I am not completely satisfied with the outcome but it was a good exercise for my other Revell DC-10s

I might do a WIP on my next Revell DC-10 to show the conversions

Enjoy,

20180630_191813.jpg

20180630_191908.jpg

20180630_191845.jpg

20180630_191937.jpg

20180630_192200.jpg

20180630_192217.jpg

• Like 22

HI Alex, thats a nice job you have done there,I am currently building one of these myself and they are definitely a challenge.Well done.                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Cheers Michael.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice work as usual Alex,

:thumbsup:

What sort of work did you do to the wing box? I have one of these in the stash and will build it one day. I like the APU exhaust, nice piece of detailing

Thank you very much.

With a pen I scribed the outlines of the wingbox.Then I used masking tape to cover the surrounding area and built up the wingbox with putty that was then sanded to shape.

For the APU I drilled a hole and inserted a small plastic tube.

• Like 1

Excellent job rescuing an old part-built Alex, it looks like it came from a sparkling new kit. The work on the engines certainly paid off as well.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Viking said:

Excellent job rescuing an old part-built Alex, it looks like it came from a sparkling new kit. The work on the engines certainly paid off as well.

Cheers

John

Thank you very much.

Hi Alex,

Nice one!

I agree with Chris you've really improved this old kit with your work around the nose as this was one of the weakest areas of the old Revell kit.

What's next out of your hanger?

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Alex,

Nice one!

I agree with Chris you've really improved this old kit with your work around the nose as this was one of the weakest areas of the old Revell kit.

What's next out of your hanger?

Cheers,

Ian

Thank you very much Ian.

Currently I am working on several kits.Among them are a Revell Concorde a Heller Concorde in 1/125 scale and the Eastern Express Boeing 717 which I must admit is a very nice kit

9 hours ago, phil1 said:

fantastic work, absolutely loving this one! you'd never think that this was salvaged as shes a beauty!

Thank you very much mate.