Tupolev TU-144 Prototype Nitto 1/132

The TU-144 was Russia's answer to the Concorde,although it was plagued with problems and accidents which resulted in only a very limited time in commercial service.

The prototype is very different from the later version that made it into service,comparing the 2 makes you think to look at completely different aircraft.

This is the very old Nitto kit and besides the 1/100 Plasticart kit the only one of the TU-144 Prototype.

Its in a rather unusual scale in 1/132,but close enough to 1/144 so placing her alongside the Concorde would be a nice thing.

The kit is rather simple but quite accurate in shape,it has not many parts and all fits together very well with only some minor areas that need some filling and sanding.

The only downside is that it has no option to build it gear up,although a display stand is included.It would certainly look much more elegant in flight.

Despite its age,the decals were still in good condition and could be used without any problems.

This was a straight out of the box build,to keep the character of this ancient kit.

Paints by Revell and Testors enamels applied with my airbrush.Bare Metal Foil was applied at the rudder on the tailfin

Cheers

20180630_191328.jpg

20180630_191313.jpg

20180630_191258.jpg

20180630_191226.jpg

20180630_191250.jpg

Edited by Alex1978
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

That looks really nice. Your next project should be to build the ICM/Revell Tu144. Having the two side by side to compare would be very interesting.

Not only did the prototype look like a different aeroplane to the producton version - it WAS a different aeroplane.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

That looks really nice. Your next project should be to build the ICM/Revell Tu144. Having the two side by side to compare would be very interesting.

Not only did the prototype look like a different aeroplane to the producton version - it WAS a different aeroplane.

Thank you very much.

I have the Revell/ICM rebox and an original ICM kit in my stash but not found a time slot yet to start them as I have still a lot of half built airliners on my workbench waiting to be finished....

• 5 years later...

Hi - I've dropped back in to your build here for another look today - I have this kit and shall hope to assemble in in 2024. I've been looking for 3rd party replacement decals for my kit as mine look potentially dangerously unusable. 

I recently saw a built model of this kit at IPMS Abingdon's 2023 club show - the modeller had adapted the front end to display her droop snooted - I'm very tempted to try the same - being so basic, there is little to destroy in the conversion process and lends itself to vast improvements up front.

Looking at this 1/144 Nitto kit up against my VBP Plasticart 1/100 kit of the same (i.e. the prototype), I can see that both kit manufacturers built their moulds on areas of assumed detail without access to the real aircraft to have taken accurate dimensions and detail from - in particular the engine nacelle shape and finite underwing location. 

• Thanks 1

I always found the Tu 144 to be a real Curate's egg. On the one hand it was a commercial flop and an obvious attempt to replicate Concorde. But on the other, it had a real beauty of its own. Perhaps not so graceful as Concorde, but stunning nonetheless. And your model really captures this.

• Thanks 1

I once again measured my Nitto/Entex kit and compared it with the dimensions mentioned at http://www.tu144sst.com I still get 1/149 and not the 1/132 that Nitto has on their box. Entex claims it to be 1/144.

I have mine together with the original Airfix Concorde in a prototype livery. As I understand it both kits has their faults. As 1/149 is closer to 1/144 than the 1/132 is, I am satisfied.

• Thanks 1

On 22/11/2023 at 12:47, Gimme Shelter said:

Hi - I've dropped back in to your build here for another look today - I have this kit and shall hope to assemble in in 2024. I've been looking for 3rd party replacement decals for my kit as mine look potentially dangerously unusable. 

I recently saw a built model of this kit at IPMS Abingdon's 2023 club show - the modeller had adapted the front end to display her droop snooted - I'm very tempted to try the same - being so basic, there is little to destroy in the conversion process and lends itself to vast improvements up front.

Looking at this 1/144 Nitto kit up against my VBP Plasticart 1/100 kit of the same (i.e. the prototype), I can see that both kit manufacturers built their moulds on areas of assumed detail without access to the real aircraft to have taken accurate dimensions and detail from - in particular the engine nacelle shape and finite underwing location. 

On 22/11/2023 at 14:30, Airbusboy said:

I always found the Tu 144 to be a real Curate's egg. On the one hand it was a commercial flop and an obvious attempt to replicate Concorde. But on the other, it had a real beauty of its own. Perhaps not so graceful as Concorde, but stunning nonetheless. And your model really captures this.

On 22/11/2023 at 16:03, Orso said:

I once again measured my Nitto/Entex kit and compared it with the dimensions mentioned at http://www.tu144sst.com I still get 1/149 and not the 1/132 that Nitto has on their box. Entex claims it to be 1/144.

I have mine together with the original Airfix Concorde in a prototype livery. As I understand it both kits has their faults. As 1/149 is closer to 1/144 than the 1/132 is, I am satisfied.

On 22/11/2023 at 16:13, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Beautiful Tupolev Tu-144!

Saluti

Giampiero

On 22/11/2023 at 22:49, Carlo1963 said:

Interesting how the four engines seem much closer together, almost in-line, compared to the production versions.

Thank you all.

I am surprised that this build reappeared after all these years.

The scale differences and accuracy issues if this kit are probably due to the lack of real possibilities to measure the real thing.It was still cold war time back then.

The kit is quite old and simple but i liked it somehow.

I also have the Nitto Concorde in my stash with the same ,at least on the box,mentioned 1/132 scale.

I have not yet measured it to confirm it,but it also represents something near the prototype Concorde like Airfix's first Concord kit.

I have not found the time yet to start building it but I might tackle it now that the TU144 has come up again to interest.