DH Hornet and Sea Hornet correct detail reference

ththtttu7

On 6/11/2019 at 8:54 AM, Christer A said:

A question about the three under fuselage lights.

Were they only available on the FAA machines and not the RAF ones?

You can (barely) see them here, if you squint

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-zFFNFb_tJp6oDZdis1c

I'm guessing that they are the standard downward identification lights of the day, with the interchangeable coloured lenses.

They show in this shot of a Hornet F.1, I think further forward than in your shot, but don't seem to show in many photos.

sh1-A-de-Havilland-Hornet-F.1-flying-at-

• Like 1

Whats the issues with the HpH kit (That I spent an outrageous amount of coin on)

I know the windscreen is off but I've heard there are other howlers in it.

Ta

• Like 1

The Hornet has to be one of the best-looking aeroplanes of all time, just a wee bit late to be of real use. I am looking forward to the rebuild/scratch-build of the real one found in Canada. 

I recall scratch-building one back in the late 60s or early 70s using an article in , I think Airfix or Scale Models magazine, using parts from a bf110 and an ancient Mosquito. Turned out quite Ok and I took it to a local model comp and got a prize  . .  the new FROG Hornet!! I kept this until the Aeroclub(?) NF21 conversion became available and converted it to that. Such memories! Thanks for all the great images which will  come in handy when I get around to the three Special Hobby kits keeping the house warm upstairs.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

If anyone is interested I've put together some of the key dimensions for the deHavilland Hornet F.3. These dimensions are all taken from original deHavilland component drawings circa 1944-1951. Some may be surprised that they contradict those published in Janes', multiple magazines, and some books, but this is mainly due to mixing up "tail-up" and "tail-down" dimensions, and sometimes seeing them quoted against the wrong mark of aircraft. Without a complete airframe to measure since the late 50's its no wonder!

I will add more to this soon chart soon.

The chart is hopefully self explanitory, but please ask questions if unsure. You can see how the various 1/72 and 1/48 scale kits dimensions stack up against the full size aircraft.

If someone could update this with the same dimensions for the Dynavector and Magna kits we will all have the full picture.

48180502951_6613a9d2b9_h.jpgDH Hornet F3 Dimension CHART_v1 by hornet project

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

Hello David,

That's very useful data, thanks.

I suppose the difficulty with model corrections is accurately pinpointing the FSD. Am I right in thinking that it is immediately behind the pilot's seat armour plate?

Nick.

12 hours ago, Worms said:

Hello David,

That's very useful data, thanks.

I suppose the difficulty with model corrections is accurately pinpointing the FSD. Am I right in thinking that it is immediately behind the pilot's seat armour plate?

Nick.

Hi Nick,

The Front Spar Datum line runs along the top of all of these moulded kit wings. No matter which scale, they all have this line.

The Classic Airframes Hornet F3 contains the fewest errors overall, but does have two major issues. Fortunately both can be fixed:

Adding 6.5mm to the rear fuselage.

Moving the u/c bay 6.5mm rearward with the top of the main leg, but leaving the main wheel where it was.

The Trumpeter one be comparison has lots of mid-sized errors all over.

Edited by David A Collins
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, David A Collins said:

Hi Nick,

The Front Spar Datum line runs along the top of all of these moulded kit wings. No matter which scale, they all have this line.

Thanks David, you're right...and coincides with the back of the seat armour on the Frog version!

On 12/06/2019 at 22:59, 71chally said:

I'm guessing that they are the standard downward identification lights of the day, with the interchangeable coloured lenses.

They show in this shot of a Hornet F.1, I think further forward than in your shot, but don't seem to show in many photos.

sh1-A-de-Havilland-Hornet-F.1-flying-at-

Any idea which coloured light is which?

On 02/07/2019 at 17:37, David A Collins said:

Hello all,

If anyone is interested I've put together some of the key dimensions for the deHavilland Hornet F.3. These dimensions are all taken from original deHavilland component drawings circa 1944-1951. Some may be surprised that they contradict those published in Janes', multiple magazines, and some books, but this is mainly due to mixing up "tail-up" and "tail-down" dimensions, and sometimes seeing them quoted against the wrong mark of aircraft. Without a complete airframe to measure since the late 50's its no wonder!

I will add more to this soon chart soon.

The chart is hopefully self explanitory, but please ask questions if unsure. You can see how the various 1/72 and 1/48 scale kits dimensions stack up against the full size aircraft.

If someone could update this with the same dimensions for the Dynavector and Magna kits we will all have the full picture.

48180502951_6613a9d2b9_h.jpgDH Hornet F3 Dimension CHART_v1 by hornet project

So, if I read this chart correctly, then the Classic Airframe kits nacelles are too short by 4,7mm, but the spinners are OK?

Assuming the FSD is in the correct position comparing to the nose....

Its very good that you made this chart! It'll be immensely helpful for future builds (and ongoing 😉 )

Edited by Christer A
Just discovered that FSD is front Spar Datum

On 7/2/2019 at 6:57 PM, Worms said:

Any idea which coloured light is which?

I think they were changed and arranged for the day, so a combination of colours (red, green and amber) are possible.   

I just want to reiterate that it is a guess on my part of what they are.  Also, I don't know when this visual IFF went to an audio system (think mid 1950s) so that might explain why visible on some aircraft and not others.

Edit,

This shot shows them well,

avmoss_3_04.jpg

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm a bit late to the party here, but I've found these two in the virtual shoe box under the bed, To me it looks like clear lenses with coloured bulbs? unfortunately no clue to the orientation of the colours. 

spacer.png

and from the inside

spacer.png

and finally, not Hornet but Canberra, I have no idea which way around this goes, you have a 50/50 chance of being correct with any guess, would it be logical to go with red to Port? or would that be too logical? 

spacer.png

John

• Like 4

On 04/07/2019 at 11:03, 71chally said:

I think they were changed and arranged for the day, so a combination of colours (red, green and amber) are possible. 

Effort!

More likely they remained in one fixed place and the sequence of colours changed on a daily basis.

The lights are too close together and at distance, it would be extremely difficult to tell their relative positions.

Edited by Wez

• 1 year later...
On 6/30/2018 at 7:43 PM, David A Collins said:

I've created this thread to show reference photos and descriptions, for the Hornet and Sea Hornet airframe detail.

Some absolutely fantastic photographs David.

As the Special Hobby F.Mk.20 was at Hal Far when dad was, and as he was also at Sanderling after that he would have at least touched a Sea Hornet, amongst other bits and pieces 😉 

All I will say is a big thank you, especially for the cockpit clarifications...wot you see is exactly wot you get. Doh!

All model manufacturers please note. Research is actually required!

Happy Bunny! Well it is Easter; Covid or no Covid Egg! 

On 7/6/2019 at 11:25 AM, canberra kid said:

I'm a bit late to the party here, but I've found these two in the virtual shoe box under the bed, To me it looks like clear lenses with coloured bulbs? unfortunately no clue to the orientation of the colours. 

spacer.png

and from the inside

spacer.png

and finally, not Hornet but Canberra, I have no idea which way around this goes, you have a 50/50 chance of being correct with any guess, would it be logical to go with red to Port? or would that be too logical? 

spacer.png

John

All I can say is that somebody would have had hot pants long before Rod Stewart! Nice to see the internals of the gun bay though! 🙂

• Haha 1

On 7/6/2019 at 12:41 PM, Wez said:

Effort!

More likely they remained in one fixed place and the sequence of colours changed on a daily basis.

The lights are too close together and at distance, it would be extremely difficult to tell their relative positions.

Have you sent that to the Misidentified...sorry The Discovered Channel at all? All I seem to get lately in their programming are ex Military Acid Heads bleating on about some kind of fashionable theory that any coloured flashing light in the sky can't be man made? And they have the proof to boot! Oi Vey! 

On 7/6/2019 at 11:25 AM, canberra kid said:

spacer.png

and from the inside

spacer.png

spacer.png

John

By some miracle of modern technology, the text is omitted.  It asked which light was to the front.

For what it's worth, the Airfix Spitfire 22 has these same lights, in the same order, with red to the front.

• Like 1