Building a Heller 1/72 Connie

@Challenger350Pilot, I feel like a bit of a fraud passing any kind of judgement on this brilliant build.

But there's one thing that catches my eye.

And I think I ought to run it past you for consideration....

Β 

I think the tyres are looking too hard.

Fully loaded, you're looking at 65 tons or so, and most of it bearing on the main gear and those 4 balloon tyres.

I think they could do with flatting a bit, just to settle them onto the ground.

Β 

I feel like a Chancer putting this on, and I hope you don't mind my observation!

πŸ‘

• 3 weeks later...
On β€Ž8β€Ž/β€Ž28β€Ž/β€Ž2018 at 5:12 PM, rob Lyttle said:

@Challenger350Pilot, I feel like a bit of a fraud passing any kind of judgement on this brilliant build.

But there's one thing that catches my eye.

And I think I ought to run it past you for consideration....

Β 

I think the tyres are looking too hard.

Fully loaded, you're looking at 65 tons or so, and most of it bearing on the main gear and those 4 balloon tyres.

I think they could do with flatting a bit, just to settle them onto the ground.

Β 

I feel like a Chancer putting this on, and I hope you don't mind my observation!

πŸ‘

Hi Rob;

Β 

Please do NOT feel like a fraud passing judgment. Model building is about as subjective as it gets, and passing judgment is a norm in this hobby. I appreciate your observation regarding the hard tires. I actually thought about going the extra mile and flattening the tires a bit, so she would look "loaded," but I really stuck with the look of being brand new, rolling off the factory floor in Burbank, California in 1958, before she made her delivery flight to Amsterdam and KLM. So the model stands "empty" of passengers, baggage, freight, and fuel. when fully loaded the real "H" model Connie would stand a bit tail down, with her main gear struts barely showing any silver shock, and her main gear tires rounded out a bit, but certainly not flattened...still inside the normal CG envelope forΒ takeoff and flight.Β And she would weigh in at about 72 tons fully loaded; a far cry from only 65.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On β€Ž2β€Ž/β€Ž28β€Ž/β€Ž2019 at 4:34 PM, hsr said:

Superb build.Β πŸ†. Did you have to add weight to the nose, and if so do you remember how much?

Β 

Thanks

Oh yes, I did have to add weight to the nose. A substantial amount, to be sure, but I don't know exactly how much. Its hard to judge scientifically how much to add, especially when the model is modified as much as this one with resin, pewter, zinc, and brass. My rule of thumb when having to add weight to keep the airplane sitting on all three is "add until there's enough." Simple as that seems, it works for me...not scientific by any means, but it gets the job done. The landing gear are all metal, so they can handle the stress of large weights on a large model. I found that once I added what I thought was enough weight, actually wasn't. And I discovered this long after the fuselage halves had been assembled and reinforced, puttied, sanded and primed. To test and see if I had enough, I pressed tooth picks into the gear holes, and set her down on a flat surface...she dropped to her tail! For the remedy, I drilled a small hole in the nose forward of the nose gear bay assembly, and dropped in small round fishing line weights until she sat upright, then I poured in Elmer's wood (water based) glue to hold the little balls in place, allowing it to cure with the open hole for about 10 days. When I was satisfied it had cured hard enough, I closed the hole with Tamiya white putty, sanded and primed, and continued on. What an ordeal...my non-scientific method worked! She's heavy...but she sits upright like she's supposed to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have all the aftermarket part and I have added a bunch of #6 shot. I have the fuselage closed up but without the wings on yet and it is nose heavy. I'll probably add some more before I add the wings just to make sure Β before I attach the wings.

Β 

Thanks

Β 

• Like 1

No not yet. What worries me more are the 2 radar housings, they are heavy resin and the top one is a little aft of the landing gear.

3 hours ago, hsr said:

I have all the aftermarket part and I have added a bunch of #6 shot. I have the fuselage closed up but without the wings on yet and it is nose heavy. I'll probably add some more before I add the wings just to make sure Β before I attach the wings.

Β 

Thanks

Β 

I would echo the suggestion of taping on as many of the parts as you can, in their proper place, if possible, then determine the weight. The CG will move drastically as you add parts...better to know where its located, approximately, before adding the weight. Are you building a C-121? Take a look at these:

Β 

http://nabe3saviation.web.fc2.com/modelc121.html

Β 

https://modelingmadness.com/review/korean/us/usaf/cja121.htm

Β 

Β 

• Thanks 2

I am doing an EC-121. So far I have the Fisher nose and the fuselage halves glued up. The Fisher nose took a bit more work then I expected to get it to match the fuselage, but that is all blended in. I am now working on the wings. I have the Fisher engines and the Plus model engines. I think I am going to go with the Plus Models engines since the fit better with the wing nacelles. I also have the Fisher tanks. I think I have enough weight in the nose, a whole 12 gauge shotgun sell worth og #6 shot, but I will do the taping of the parts on, just to make sure.Β Β 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hsr said:

I am doing an EC-121. So far I have the Fisher nose and the fuselage halves glued up. The Fisher nose took a bit more work then I expected to get it to match the fuselage, but that is all blended in. I am now working on the wings. I have the Fisher engines and the Plus model engines. I think I am going to go with the Plus Models engines since the fit better with the wing nacelles. I also have the Fisher tanks. I think I have enough weight in the nose, a whole 12 gauge shotgun sell worth og #6 shot, but I will do the taping of the parts on, just to make sure.Β Β 

Perfect! Will you post it in the WIP thread? Sure would love to follow your build.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hsr said:

I have the Fisherο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώ engines and the Plus model engines. I think I am goinο»Ώg to go with the Plus Models enginesο»Ώο»Ώ

@hsr, does that mean you want to let those Fisher engines go, or do you have another Connie to do??

I'm interested in getting a setΒ 

1 hour ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

Perfect! Will you post it in the WIP thread? Sure would love to follow your build.

I am a little intimidated to do a WIP I don't think my work matches up to yours orΒ aquatarkus10's. I'll have to think about it.

14 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

@hsr, does that mean you want to let those Fisher engines go, or do you have another Connie to do??

I'm interested in getting a setΒ 

PM sent

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

Will you post it in the WIP thread? Sure would love to follow your build.

Well for better or worse I started one.

Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Absolutely beautiful. I'm sorry if I missed this, but did you use Alclad for the natural metal areas? I assume you used their black primer first? Thank you for the build report!

• 1 year later...
On 4/9/2019 at 6:26 PM, Hobo said:

Absolutely beautiful. I'm sorry if I missed this, but did you use Alclad for the natural metal areas? I assume you used their black primer first? Thank you for the build report!

Please forgive me for being so late...more than a year...in answering you. Yes, I did use Alclad polished aluminum overΒ the Alclad black base coat. Took quite some time preparing the surfaces, as they need to be completely smooth and free of blemish as possible. The base coat and the finish will only accentuate the imperfections, if they aren’t sanded smooth and polished. And since this model is a large 1/72nd scale, it took a lot of spraying to cover the entire fuselage belly.Β 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/9/2020 at 12:58 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Wowed, this is a real beauty,Β  great work.Β  Those U/C bays look amazing and the polished metal paint absolutely stunning.Β  The windows look great to.

Amazing work

ChrisΒ 

Thank you, Chris...kind words much appreciated!Β 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Beautiful model, just today I purchased the Airfix Super Constellation. Just wondering where you obtained the 3D window decals?

Β 

Again, you achieved a magnificent build.

Β 

Inspirational.

Β 

Rgds,

Β 

Β RobΒ