Building a Heller 1/72 Connie

Definitly looking good, I have a few of ths to make, much in the same fashion. i just have no whre to put them yet. I only made the XC-69 in 1/72 so far. I'v don a lot of research on the Connie and this looks correct. Are you doing any weathring or leaving her new?

• 2 weeks later...

What a great job on a difficult kit. The metal work looks wonderful and the scheme should be great. I had the EC-121 started many years ago but I just stalled with all of the trouble it was giving me. Maybe I should just pull it out and start over using your build a s a guide. Thanks so much for sharing.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Skyhawk174

Update...

Had to go back and correct the location of the NAV lights on each of the tips tanks. They were originally mounted too far aft, so I removed them, made a repair, and drilled a small "seat" for each lens in the correct position. Thanks to my friend Alan for the recommendations and instructions on correctly seating the NAV lights..."school never stops!" Also completed the decal application on the tail, and applied the fuselage cheat lines, cockpit windows, and PE windshield wipers. The large cheat lines were nearly a nightmare, cracking and splitting, even with Microscale decal film applied. They were repaired with some patience and thanks to an extra repair stripe included with the decal sheet. Next step will be to apply the cabin windows, finish up some detail decals, and apply an acrylic sealant before attaching the engines as the final step. Here are the latest pics from the progress.....

IMG_2122IMG_2131IMG_2129IMG_2130

• Like 20

Antennae rigging...pressed and glued two small pieces of thin styrene together, then cut to shape, sanded until smooth, then drilled a small hole for the cables to attach. There are two small drilled holes in the center and port vertical stabilizers to accept the cables when pulled just slightly taught.

IMG_2148IMG_2146

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Update...

I made a sort of "jig" on the workbench with c-clamps and spare plywood, some foam rubber, and a clamp to hold the model perpendicular to the floor, so that I could mount the engines to the nacelles, allowing the weight of the resin to press against the epoxy. I'm allowing for curing before placing her back on her gear. This is the home stretch! Attach the props, give her a gentle wash, get her staged, and she'll go to the "Ready for Inspection" forum. Almost home........

IMG_2156IMG_2160

Edited by Challenger350Pilot
  • Like 14