Building a Heller 1/72 Connie

Thought I'd share a work in progress...this is the Heller 1/72 scale Super Constellation; planning to finish this one as a blue window striped KLM "The Flying Dutchman," scheme flown circa 1958, though I have not decided on a specific aircraft reproduction. The project is coming along, and beginning to look like a Connie...but lots more to do. I am using quite a bit of detailing parts not included in the kit: Fisher engines and props, Scale Aircraft Conversions metal landing gear, and Plus Model wheel bays. Enjoy......

IMG_1962

IMG_0850

Had to do quite a bit of puttying and closing of seams, with tons of sanding. I closed the windows, because I'll use 3D window decals in the final version.

IMG_1408 - Copy

Here you can see the pre-prime "chop-job" of the outboard engine nacelle, so that the Fisher engines fit properly to the model. I'm pretty new at sawing and hacking major parts off the original model, and in this process, managed to damage the nacelle...but nothing that more putty and more sanding couldn't solve.....

IMG_1452

Here's an underbelly pic of the main landing gear bays prior to detail installation.

IMG_1407 - Copy

This is the left main landing gear wheel bay, with details installed, prior to priming and painting. Hydraulic and electrical lines added using small gauge wire.

IMG_1594

Main landing gear detailed and primed.....

IMG_1895

Nose gear detail....

IMG_1936

Main gear detail...

IMG_1934

Engines, props, and gear all primed....

IMG_1603

Prep for Alclad airframe aluminum....

IMG_1894

Engines almost completed...need to attach cowl flaps, which I mount slightly open...

IMG_1928

Fuselage and wings primed, gray wing panels and radome painted....

IMG_1942

• Like 38

HOLY !!!!! This is NICE !!1  Those wheel wells are gorgeous, is all that P/E ?/ Any resin?   Those engine nacelles look great too....... I am following from just north of you  and a long way west here in British Columbia.......this is great, I'm looking forward to the next update...

cheers

Jeff

Thank you, EVERY one for your kind encouragement.

I've gotten the upper fuselage white painted, allowing it to cure for a few days before masking it for the Alclad black base coat on the bottom and wings. I did discover a major blunder while painting...that the left outboard engine nacelle was cut unevenly (by me) when removing the original kit flashing. Left as is would result in the left outboard engine drooping when mounted, so the preliminary thought for a fix will be to add a small shim to the nacelle before painting to lift it, thereby making it even and level with the inboard. I'm planning to use leftover PE brass cut to fit. I'm nearly positive it won't be noticed at all, and won't be seen when painted.

IMG_1967

Upper fuselage painted with Tamiya TS-26.

IMG_1969

Also finished the engines with attaching the cowl flaps in the slightly opened position.

IMG_1965IMG_1964

• Like 32

Thanks everyone for your comments encouragement. I do enjoy sharing the progress here, because everyone is so positive and encouraging.

So here's the latest update with the latest pics....I've repaired the uneven nacelle mount for the left outboard engine, using Tamiya modeling putty and a small piece of styrene plastic glued in for support. Finished sanding and priming for Alclad airframe aluminum, and applied. The pics below show the completed major painting. I have not begun to polish the natural metal surfaces yet, nor have I touched up overspray where the masking tape leaked, or sharpened lines around the landing gear door mounts. Final application of the decal cheat lines will cover a multitude of sins...like raised paint lines where the aluminum and the white meet, and where some of the complex curves are not even. Overall, I am pleased so far...no major catastrophes in spite of dropping the whole assembly onto the floor while masking small curves, tipping over and spilling half a bottle of Alclad onto the workbench, and a pressing tool slipping along the upper wing surface creating a huge scratch in the primer. Oh well...its just a hobby!!!

The last items to be attached, after landing gear and all the apparatus that goes with them, will be the solid resin Fisher engines. I am open to suggestion and advice from all as to how to attach them...should I use plastic cement, Zap Gap super glue, quick drying epoxy?? Ideas are welcomed!

IMG_2004IMG_2005IMG_2007IMG_2009IMG_2012

• Like 30

Using aftermarket is a proper way to build this model. Especially the engines provided in the kit are useless and, I am very interested in this build progress. I love how you done the engines and detailed undercarriage. I also salute the decision for using 3D decals depicting windows, since I am also not very satisfied with the look of the transparencies. Looking forward to see it finished it will be great sight!

• Like 1

The fuselage is looking brilliant.

That's an impressive paint job, for sure!

The light coloured nose band behind the black cone caught my attention. White is often given in instructions and schemes, so what's the story on this?

Obvs quite different to the fuselage white.... is it the grey that is painted on the wings?

Or something particular to your choice of scheme?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

The fuselage is looking brilliant.

That's an impressive paint job, for sure!

The light coloured nose band behind the black cone caught my attention. White is often given in instructions and schemes, so what's the story on this?

Obvs quite different to the fuselage white.... is it the grey that is painted on the wings?

Or something particular to your choice of scheme?

Thanks, Rob. Actually, the entire radome on the Connie was often painted...the forward section was non reflective black, and the band behind the black was often light gray or sandy color. The gray I used to paint the band behind the black is the same gray used on the wing panels. Its Testor's Modelmaster enamel Japanese Navy Gray, mixed with some lighter stock gray I had in my paint stash to closely resemble the KLM livery.

Hello All...

Here are some update photos. Finished the landing gear, and attached them...she's standing on her own 3 legs! Taking a great shape so far! The gear doors are completed, but as yet unattached. I'll get to those this week sometime. Finished the touchup around the gear bays, and the aluminum polishing, but sill a long way to go on the finishes required before she can accept her colors and livery. probably won't post for a while, until she's made some progress putting her "clothes" on. Engines will be attached as the last step....

Thank you again for your encouragement and kind words...

IMG_2084

IMG_2046

IMG_2067

IMG_2060

IMG_2071

IMG_2074

IMG_2059

• Like 25