Tamiya Razorback Hollywood High Hatter ###FINISHED###

Redstaff

Hi guys

This will be my offering from the Tamiya 1/48  kit, I've gone for the steed of Lt. Paul Conger 61st FS-56th FG out of Halesworth Dec '43

Any tips or links to ref pics welcome :) 

3_150

20180630_123032 (1)

• Like 7

• Redstaff changed the title to Tamiya Razorback Hollywood High Hatter

A couple of pics of the cockpit and a pic of the man himself 

The cockpit needs a little touching up now I see the pics and can zoom in, but you can't see most of it when it's closed up anyway.

Might get magnifier lamp out tomorrow if I don't get distracted by something else like the F1, needs a drybrush as well I think, but if time gets short I'm fairly happy as cockpits have never been my thing really

20180706_201605_resized

20180706_201942_resized

media-24349

• Like 7

Got a little bit more done this morning while SWMBO was out, quite nice downstairs with the patio doors open 😀

Retouched and dry brushed cockpit and first coated a few more bits

20180707_141909

20180707_141932

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Looking good redstaff, it is a fabulous, but quick kit to build though isn't it 

Thank Hewy, it is a great fitting kit that goes together really well. One of Tamiyas best :)

I did the bubbletop a few months ago, that's the same 

16295216_1533256600022613_1712113901_n

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Great job on the bubble top, I'll definitely be getting another couple of these for the stash, I've not built a tamiya mode kit for a while until this, you forget how well they go together dont you, 

Glynn 

• Like 1

Quick update

Most of the main painting complete, just final bits to attach and decals, then how far to go with weathering as I don't normally bother but thought I'd give it a go in this build

I've given the engine an oil wash and bit of drybrushing, not brilliant but a learning curve for me

Nothing heavy, but hopefully subtle with a wash and some chipping then a satin varnish to seal it all 🤔

20180713_095048

20180713_095336_resized

20180713_095352_resized

20180713_095425_resized

• Like 8

Very rapid progress and looking very nice.

Interesting that you got the gear in place, I usually do that near the end otherwise I would break something off while decaling ;) 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Tbolt

Once the cockpit is done the rest of the kit goes together rapidly

I normally put the gear on after, but the Tamiya gear is very solid and the wheels are epoxy glued on as they are resin, so hopefully ok 🤔 (That could be the kiss of death now I have said that) 😂

• Like 1

Quick update and quick question to follow

Started on the decals including the stencils today........

Now the question, I'm going to satin clear coat after to seal decals etc. but should the red nose be satin or gloss?

The old pic from the net is making me lean towards gloss, but I'd rather be sure if poss as the  decal sheet just says red 🤔

20180715_204146_001_resized

hv-cbar

• Like 5

Looking really nice there. Personally I would go with satin. The sheen will obviously depend on the amount weathering and if the aircraft was waxed, when was it last waxed? Gloss on a model like this can look out of place you could always add a little gloss to your satin if you want but I wouldn't go full gloss.

I see you've done an over painted ID stripe on the fin. Did this aircraft not have over painted ID stripes on the horizontal stabilizers as well?

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Tbolt, might just do 1 light quick coat on the gloss and 2 on the rest to see if the sheen stays, if not I'll try a mix

The decal sheet doesn't show anything on the horizontals.

I thought it was a group or ranking marking as some on the decal sheet are white, some black and this one dark green, some have the top half of the tail painted as well 🤔

OK I  realised you are using Sky Models decals which don't have very detail instructions. The ID bands were white on the fin and the horizontal stabilizers, top and bottom, as well as the white nose band. They were markings used by all US fighters at the time to ID them as allied aircraft. Then they did a way with the white nose band and the 61st FS painted the band red ( 62nd yellow, 63rd blue  ) on the nose and over painted tail ID strips with a green of some type and probably a grey on the stab undersides.

The aircraft that had back ID band were just NMF aircraft where obviously white would not show up very well so they just switched to black. The aircraft that had the top of the fin painted are just group colours. The 56th FG later switched to all having red nose bands and there squadron colour were moved to the rudders.

Here's one of my P-47's with overpainted ID bands.

34137957485_d8d87418c5_o.jpg

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Tbolt, you've got it right with the Sky decals :) not very forthcoming with detail

Do you thinks the horizontal stabiliser stripes would have been over painted with the same green and grey underneath then?

If so I can crack on with that and get them done

Ian

38 minutes ago, Redstaff said:

Thanks Tbolt, you've got it right with the Sky decals :) not very forthcoming with detail

Do you thinks the horizontal stabiliser stripes would have been over painted with the same green and grey underneath then?

If so I can crack on with that and get them done

Ian

It's a bit of guess work really. I built mine a while a go and just when for British colours ( dark green and medium sea grey ) but they may have been US colours. Some aircraft look like they might have been OD but painted rather thinly over the top of the white and some appear darker. So without a good pictures of the tail of the aircraft you are doing you'll just have to make a guess

P-47_Thunderbolt_42-75137_of_the_56th_Fi

p47-qp-o-man-monster.jpg

Edited by Tbolt
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Tbolt, I've only found a couple of pics of the aircraft I'm doing and they are front 3/4 shots and not brilliant quality to be able to pic much detail

I'll just use some artistic licence and do the top strips in RAF dk green as tail and find a grey to suit for underneath 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tbolt said:

It's a bit of guess work really. I built mine a while a go and just when for British colours ( dark green and medium sea grey ) but they may have been US colours. Some aircraft look like they might have been OD but painted rather thinly over the top of the white and some appear darker. So without a good pictures of the tail of the aircraft you are doing you'll just have to make a guess

Thanks Tbolt, I've made a guess and painted the horizontals dark green (RAF) the same as on the vertical, I've bottled the underside as I'd already got stencils in the area and didn't fancy risking masking on them, or by strange coincidence when they overpainted the undersides they had the exact match of paint 😉

20180716_213214_resized

• Like 3

Getting on towards the end on this one

But had a bit of trouble with some of the stencils silvering after I gave a light cleaning wipe with white spirits before satin coating, it only caught a few fortunately so I have replaced with a few random ones that look similar ;) I've done it before with no issues

I painted the pitot tube ready for fitting as well and I think the borrowers have come and taken it, either that or the carpet monster 😂

Not totally accurate but the metal tube out of Revell contact adhesive looks the part

Will post some pics tomorrow after I have tried my first attempt at weathering and it is light enough

• Like 2

Right guys

First attempt at weathering and a few quick phone pics to see if you think it needs any more before I take some decent pics for the gallery

A bit of chipping, dry brushing tyres and muddy footprints on wings, soot and oil wash from engine and soot from guns with a bit of panel washing as well, so tried a few techniques with varying results.Any tips or advice welcome

20180721_102349_resized

20180721_102412_resized

20180721_102401_resized

20180721_102425_resized

• Like 9