1/35 South African Rooikat AFV

It's not often that I venture across to the dark side but Trumpeter's 1/35 Rooikat appealed to me. Built out of the box with some brass wire aerials, front reflectors and tail light lenses. The suspension units were a bit tricky to clean up and assemble, so pay careful attention to the instructions !

Camouflage was sprayed freehand using three of the colours in Hataka's "South African Army Paint set (highly recommended)

o7lSi59.jpg

bOQTAqR.jpg

SAQePST.jpg

qPLPGVL.jpgbXkBG6c.jpg

mLwbzrL.jpgISYuk8K.jpg

Thanks for looking.

mike

• Like 36

Ugly beast (the tankie thing not you Mike... :laugh:

Cracking finish, those paints do look good - as does the weathering. Ken will be disappointed there's no cheatline though...!!

Going to make a base for it?

Nice work! :thumbsup:

Keith

• Like 2

No wings ,no cheat lines,no bright colours and its got guns are you ill?🤮 Sorry Mike could not resist.😛 You should venture over to Darkside more often,your tank thingie is well tidy.:clap2::goodjob:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Going to make a base for it?

Cheers Keith, but making a base for it would mean that I couldn't attend club meetings for another month !

.....could there be any malice in your suggestion ??? 😛

13 hours ago, celt said:

No wings ,no cheat lines,no bright colours and its got guns are you ill?🤮 Sorry Mike could not resist.😛 You should venture over to Darkside more often,your tank thingie is well tidy.:clap2::goodjob:

Thanks Celt - the fever should pass in a week or two. 😁

10 hours ago, Jim Wasley said:

Great looking build,just be careful building these can be contagious 😊,Cheers.

Thanks Jim. I'm afraid that you may be right ! No meesing about with gloss paints and very few decals - what's not to like ? 😀

Rooikat with Rhino :

XlZ7S8l.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, mitchem said:

Rooikat with Rhino :

XlZ7S8l.jpg

Good grief that other one is even uglier...!! 

4 minutes ago, mitchem said:

.....could there be any malice in your suggestion ???

Not much point if there's a fair chance I'm not likely to be there as well....!! :bleh: :laugh:

K

• Like 3

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Good grief that other one is even uglier...!! 

Not much point if there's a fair chance I'm not likely to be there as well....!! :bleh: :laugh:

K

I see a pattern developing.😛

Looking great.They however do get PLENTY dirty in use as our armour guys like to abuse them.Who makes the G6 rhino kit?It looks a bit too small in relation to the rooikat....

Regards:

Shaun

Excellent paint job. I have a Rooikat ready to go but my airbrush skills are not up to your standards. Very nice. I have also built the Takom Rhino but took the easy way out and painted it overall brown.

Great looking vehicle. I had a look at some Trumpeter wheeled afvs as well. Some interesting topics there. Yours is just perfect. 

Can you compare the Hataka paints to other brands in terms of performance?

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, celt said:

Just saw this in the flesh at a club meeting tonight,the photos dont do it justice,it is a superb piece of modelling.Well tidy mun.:worthy::clap2::gobsmacked:

:ditto: - really cracking paint job too!

Keith

• 1 month later...
On 7/2/2018 at 8:12 AM, the South African said:

Looking great.They however do get PLENTY dirty in use as our armour guys like to abuse them.Who makes the G6 rhino kit?It looks a bit too small in relation to the rooikat..

The G6 Rhino is a Takom kit

http://www.finescale.com/product-info/kit-reviews/2017/07/takom-g6-rhino-build-review

• Like 1

• 3 years later...