1/48 Tamiya Razorback - Cpt. Walker Mahurin - March '44 - update 25/09/18 - FINISHED

PlaStix

This is looking fantastic, you must have incredible eyesight and hands as steady as a rock!

This may be a stupid question but do you prime the surfaces before painting them, especially the Humbrol 81 areas? I can't get a smooth coat like that with the pale colours even when I've primed them, any tips to share?

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

On 08/07/2018 at 21:55, Hewy said:

Cracking job, i like those wheel wells stix, nicley detailed, pit looks ace in situ too. 

Glynn 

Thank you very much Glynn. I have to say that Tamiya's lovely crisp moulding makes these a joy to paint and detail.

On 08/07/2018 at 21:56, Tbolt said:

Progressing really nicely there.

Thank you Tbolt.

On 08/07/2018 at 21:58, modelling minion said:

As Glynn says excellent job on the wheel wells, your painting really brings them to life.

Look like you will have the fuselage together soon.

Thank you very much Craig. Yes I'm hoping the fuselage will be together this weekend. I have been doing a bit of work on the wings and engine over a few nights this week and hope to have more progress with those soon.

On 08/07/2018 at 22:53, giemme said:

I'll echo all others' comments, brilliant job on those wheel wells, Stix :clap:

Ciao

Hi Giogio and thank you. :thumbsup:

On 08/07/2018 at 23:59, Joss said:

Too stuff stix! Love the cockpit and the wheel wells!

Joss

Thank you very much Joss. As I said above - I think a lot of the credit must go to Tamiya for their great moulding of this kit.

On 09/07/2018 at 05:31, Biggles87 said:

Ditto to all the he above.

John

Thank you very much John. 

On 09/07/2018 at 13:40, danielwood5 said:

This is looking fantastic, you must have incredible eyesight and hands as steady as a rock!

This may be a stupid question but do you prime the surfaces before painting them, especially the Humbrol 81 areas? I can't get a smooth coat like that with the pale colours even when I've primed them, any tips to share?

Cheers.

Hi Daniel and thank you. Most kind.

With regards the painting. I know what you mean about the lighter colours - they do tend to be more of a concern. I don't prime any of my kits (with this kit I even forgot to wash it in warm soapy water before I started making it!!!! But don't tell anyone! I was so keen to start making it I just got going!) If you get some time and have the inclination - you could try watching my painting video (for which there is a link at the bottom of my signature, at the bottom of this post). The painting on there is similar to what I do with all my painting although the colour is darker. Be warned that the video is a bit long though. You will see I thin my paints quite a lot with water and, in fact, with this yellow, it was almost like milk in consistency. The first coat actually looked foggy rather than solid colour. But, because it's thin, I can build up the layers without loosing the detail or making the paint too thick.

Kind regards,

Stix 

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, RJ-WobblyHands said:

looking really good !

Thank you very much RJ.

As I mentioned; I have been doing a few bits and pieces in the evenings but nothing really major.

I have drilled out some holes in the wings and fitted a few parts together for the lower wing sections. The photos here show the wings with the upper and lower parts together but without glue:

28499432957_c63bb8e13d_b.jpg

28499433117_ab64e48928_b.jpg

28499432677_cd0ce5755a_b.jpg

I cut the parts for the engine off the sprues but left bits on for me to hold while painting:

28499432187_bf969a728f_b.jpg

And then the two larger sections here were given a couple of very thinned coats of Revell's Anthracite before being dry-brushed  with Revell's Aluminium:

43368578831_48ed24920b_b.jpg

Then a quick test fit:

42651796364_1cf8e849d3_b.jpg

You might also be able to see that I have done a bit of drilling with a micro-drill - so I can add a bit of the wiring.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 13

Agreed, excellent work on the engine :clap:

I tend to paint engines after having added all details, but I suppose the fact you only brush paint allows you to follow a different sequence.

Ciao

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, giemme said:

I tend to paint engines after having added all details, but I suppose the fact you only brush paint allows you to follow a different sequence.

Ciao

I don't, I like to airbrush the major components first before gluing together.

• Like 1

On 12/07/2018 at 21:00, MarkSH said:

Nice work on the engine, very subtle dry brushing, should look excellent with the wiring, I'm intending to add some as well.

Thank you Mark. I have started to get the wiring glued in place as you can see from the photo below. Hope your's goes okay.

23 hours ago, giemme said:

Ciao

Hi Giorgio and thank you. To be fair, where I can, I paint most things separately if possible. I'm pretty sure I would do so even if I had an airbrush. I love making tanks but most other tanks builders assemble just about everything and then paint everything including the smallest details. I like painting as much first, then assembling it.

22 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Very nice work. I cheat and just glue the ignition wires behind the conduit instead of drilling it ;)

Thank you Tbolt. I think I'd find just gluing them on more difficult. Trying to get tiny bits of wire to stay in place while the glue sets - even if it’s a fairly quick setting one - I would find a nightmare! Having the holes drilled means I just get CA glue on one end of the wire and stick it in the hole. Job done!

Only one photo. The wires are 0.2mm lead wires glued in place with CA:

41581082170_9758d25aa3_b.jpg

Just two more to add.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 10

23 hours ago, Hewy said:

Great job stix, i see you know your thunderbolt dizzys, unlike me, going to look smashing together mate, nice

Glynn 

Only because Tbolt put me right earlier on in my thread!! It's a good job he doesn't mind sharing his knowledge! :thumbsup:

Today I got some bits and pieces done on this project. Fuselage sides glued together:

43360462062_f7988ed461_b.jpg

43360459982_54d9dfa003_b.jpg

Wings on:

28538935947_634e8d4431_b.jpg

43360461132_7f3f583441_b.jpg

Wheel wells look okay:

43360460412_a669038870_b.jpg

A little bit of filler was required here and there.

I got the wiring sorted for the engine but in my enthusiasm I forgot to take any photos before fitting it inside the cowl - you can just about see them:

43408410521_7f98abd433_b.jpg

Seeing as how this aircraft is basically only two colours I think I will do some pre-shading next to get a bit of variation.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 12

Ha! I didn't realise whose thread this was. I clicked on it because I wanted to know what a 'Razorback' was (apart from being a kind of pig) When I saw the photo above I thought 'Oh an American WWII fighter plane.'

Then I thought 'that's some tidy dry-brushing.... and very reminiscent of Stix's work'.

Silly bottom I am.

Lovely job Stix!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

On 15/07/2018 at 04:22, Hewy said:

Good job stix , i think we're about the stage, my wings went on a treat,aswell never had a better fit, 

Hi Glynn and thank you. Yes I saw you were at about the same stage. The wings did fit really well although I seem to gave got a couple of areas along the join that required a bit of filler. Probably user error rather than anything Tamiya has done!

On 15/07/2018 at 09:54, giemme said:

Steady progress there, Stix :clap:

This kit really looks like a joy to put together :thumbsup:

Ciao

Hi Giorgio and thank you. Yes I think this kit and it's bubbletop cousin are widely regarded as two of the best kits out there - both for detail OOB and in terms of fit.

On 15/07/2018 at 11:46, stevej60 said:

Excellent Stix,coming together a treat.

Thank you very much Steve.

On 15/07/2018 at 14:49, Badder said:

Ha! I didn't realise whose thread this was. I clicked on it because I wanted to know what a 'Razorback' was (apart from being a kind of pig) When I saw the photo above I thought 'Oh an American WWII fighter plane.'

Then I thought 'that's some tidy dry-brushing.... and very reminiscent of Stix's work'.

Silly bottom I am.

Lovely job Stix!

Rearguards,

Badder

:lol: Ah well................ Yes I do tend to have a modus operandi! Thank you. :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Nice progress Stix, really coming together.

It certainly looks like a great kit.

Thank you very much Craig - and yes it is!!

I ended up do work on my Tiger 1 project yesterday in the MTO II GB so no more progress on this one yet. I may try and find some time in the evenings this week.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:29 PM, PlaStix said:

Hi Daniel and thank you. Most kind.

With regards the painting. I know what you mean about the lighter colours - they do tend to be more of a concern. I don't prime any of my kits (with this kit I even forgot to wash it in warm soapy water before I started making it!!!! But don't tell anyone! I was so keen to start making it I just got going!) If you get some time and have the inclination - you could try watching my painting video (for which there is a link at the bottom of my signature, at the bottom of this post). The painting on there is similar to what I do with all my painting although the colour is darker. Be warned that the video is a bit long though. You will see I thin my paints quite a lot with water and, in fact, with this yellow, it was almost like milk in consistency. The first coat actually looked foggy rather than solid colour. But, because it's thin, I can build up the layers without loosing the detail or making the paint too thick.

Kind regards,

Stix 

Thanks Stix, I had a watch of your vid and picked up some really good tips, I'll have to give your techniques a go as you get a really nice finish. Thanks for putting the video together, it was really useful.

This kit looks like it's coming together well too, I really ned to grab on of these for the stash.

• Like 1