1/48 Tamiya Razorback - Cpt. Walker Mahurin - March '44 - update 25/09/18 - FINISHED

PlaStix

Hi Stix,

Just playing catch up after being away for the site for a while. Looking rather wonderful so far. I'm off to hunt down your other builds now!! :wink:

Cheers

Nigel

• Thanks 1

On 17/07/2018 at 08:52, danielwood5 said:

Thanks Stix, I had a watch of your vid and picked up some really good tips, I'll have to give your techniques a go as you get a really nice finish. Thanks for putting the video together, it was really useful.

This kit looks like it's coming together well too, I really ned to grab on of these for the stash.

Thank you Daniel and I hope it is of some use.

The Tamiya Thunderbolts do seem to be very nice kits - good fit and crisp details.

On 19/07/2018 at 02:01, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Damn that paintwork looks sweet.....I had real issues with my Humbrol acrylics turning to jelly in the heat, even with retarder!  :unsure:

Thank you Sarge and I know what you mean. Some of my paints were drying far too quickly on my mixing plate. I'd only get a bit painted before the paint was just crumbling in the water. Bring back winter!! ❄️

19 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Hi Stix,

Just playing catch up after being away for the site for a while. Looking rather wonderful so far. I'm off to hunt down your other builds now!! :wink:

Cheers

Nigel

Hi Nigel. Nice to see you back and thank you.

I was on holiday last week so no progress was made on any of my current projects. Hopefully I will get something done in the evenings this week or at the weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hope you had a good holiday. I know what you mean about the paint and the heat, it's happening with thin liquid cement also. I'm using Plastic Magic at the moment, it seems to be the only thing that works with Hobbycraft plastic, but it's just vaporising before I can get the parts together. No sign of any break either in the next 10 days, but I wouldn't go so far as to wish for winter yet.

John

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 31/07/2018 at 06:22, Biggles87 said:

Hope you had a good holiday. I know what you mean about the paint and the heat, it's happening with thin liquid cement also. I'm using Plastic Magic at the moment, it seems to be the only thing that works with Hobbycraft plastic, but it's just vaporising before I can get the parts together. No sign of any break either in the next 10 days, but I wouldn't go so far as to wish for winter yet.

John

Hi John. Hope you are well. Yes we did have a lovely holiday, thank you. For the past couple of weeks it's been getting cooler so I decided that this last weekend I needed to get back to the painting of this kit - especially as there is now only a month left until the end of this STGB!

I started with getting the pre-shading on. I know some people don't like the idea of pre-shading but, because I brush paint, I need something to give some variation in the paintwork. I used thinned Revell's Anthracite applied by a fine pointed brush:

29495634847_d6ac026722_b.jpg

44433794731_dde0cd67ab_b.jpg

Then the main colours were applied - thinned Revell's Light Grey on the undersides - applied with a wide, flat brush:

30565090958_28ec124a13_b.jpg

Thinned Humbrol Matt Olive Drab on the upper surfaces applied in the same way:

30565091838_3cb2241f25_b.jpg

Looking at photos of the original it looks like there is a soft edge between the upper and lower colours. Not having an airbrush I had to try and do this using a stippling brush - I used the Light Grey, thinned, going over the Olive Drab as it seemed to have a better consistency:

30565090288_a569deb470_b.jpg

29495633227_2ca491cd19_b.jpg

If I am going to get this finished in time I am going to have to do some work on it in the evenings.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 14

Brilliant brush painting as usual, Stix! :clap: 

Love the idea of stippling brush to reproduce the feathered paint edge :worthy: 

And I'm strongly in favor of pre-shading, FWIW :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/09/2018 at 12:59, giemme said:

Brilliant brush painting as usual, Stix! :clap: 

Love the idea of stippling brush to reproduce the feathered paint edge :worthy: 

And I'm strongly in favor of pre-shading, FWIW :winkgrin:

Ciao

Hi Giorgio and thank you. I have started using stippling a bit more these days to create a variety of effects - as you can see below. It's a technique I started using mostly on my tank builds but It can be useful on aircraft too. With regards the pre-shading - as this Thunderbolt had just one upper colour I felt it would look a little bland unless there was some variation. The photos I have seen of this aircraft don't appear to show it in a particularly bad state at any point so I'm not going to over weather it. 

On 03/09/2018 at 14:15, Biggles87 said:

I agree entirely with Giorgio. How many coats did that take?

John

Hi John and thank you too. Not sure how many coats TBH. If you've seen my video at all you'll know I tend to start somewhere, work so far and then start going back over areas as they are drying. I would imagine in real terms there's perhaps about three thinned coats overall.

On 03/09/2018 at 17:55, MarkSH said:

excellent paintwork the variation is working a treat.

Thank you very much Mark.

On 03/09/2018 at 20:17, RJ-WobblyHands said:

that looks great , very nice brush painting!!

Thank you for your comments RJ.

On 04/09/2018 at 07:44, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning

Very good painting job 👍

Cheers

Patrice

Thank you very much Patrice. Most kind!

On 04/09/2018 at 22:12, Hewy said:

Great job stix, love that panel preshade, superb

Glynn 

Thank you Glynn - I was quite happy with it this time. Sometimes I have over-painted over pre-shades until it wasn't worth doing them! This time I stopped a little sooner!

On 07/09/2018 at 01:29, Thom216 said:

That paint looks great!

Thank you very much Thom

14 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

The pre-shading really stands out on the build, Stix. Looks fantastic!! :clap:

Thank you very much Nigel.

I had planned on doing a couple of updates this weekend but gardening and other bits and pieces got in the way - but I did manage to get some stuff done on this project. I have also managed to get some modelling done in the evenings over the past week.

First of all I have been working on the various other parts that will be added later:

44517381602_d7feff20a9_b.jpg

There's still quite a bit to do on some of these.

I was quite pleased with the legs for the landing gear though - I added the break line from lead wire:

44517380852_ec8a080ea6_b.jpg

44517381142_46b0ce22e2_b.jpg

I decided on Saturday that I wanted to get the white area on the front of the nose painted. It was bugging me as to how I was going to do it. I ended up masking off the area with Tamiya tape and then using a stippling brush to apply the very thinned Humbrol matt White. Before I apply the thinned paint with the stippling brush I dry the brush off a bit on kitchen roll paper. This stops the paint from running or leaking under the Tamiya masking tape. It takes a while to build the colour up but I think the result is better than actualy trying to brush the paint on. This is the result:

44517380602_29452dfcaf_b.jpg

29628861377_b1bc10c07b_b.jpg

Once the paint was dry the panel lines were painted in with very, very thinned Revell Greenish Grey - applied with a fine, pointed paintbrush. 

By the time I took the photos I realised I should have taken a photo to show how the nose looked with the tape on and being painted but I realised I could instead show how I paint the stripes on the rear of the aircraft using the same technique:

30704784318_7b9849608a_b.jpg

This is the brush I use!!!:

43856831894_ac06d50c47_b.jpg

....and this is the result:

42765397170_e0d32f7d7c_b.jpg

30704783318_7be4b8a363_b.jpg

I also got the machine gun barrels painted using thinned Revell's Aluminium:

42765397900_540b424fc9_b.jpg

Since taking the last photos I have done some work including adding some decals on the bombs and external fuel tank. I will try and get some more work done before the weekend to try and make sure it's finished before the end of the GB.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 10/09/2018 at 12:55, giemme said:

Impressive! :clap: And you gave me a great idea about white parts over camouflaged areas :thumbsup:

Ciao

Hi Giorgio and thank you. If you do decide to try the stippling white paint I would suggest you practice on some scrap first. It took me a while to get the effect how I wanted it to work but I was doing it on a Russian tank, the first time I did it properly, so I could cover it with heavy weathering/mud if it all went horribly wrong! As I mentioned I thin the paint quite heavily and then dry the stippling brush off somewhat before using it.

20 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

+1

John

Thank you John. :thumbsup:

17 hours ago, daront said:

once again stix your brush work amazes me. Fantastic wrk so far and i admit i really do love following your work. great job buddy

regards 

daron

Hi Daron. You are very kind, thank you.

While doing a bit of research I came across this photo online:

44602272991_580d6be38d_b.jpg

I have seen the image before but it's usually looked to be of a much poorer quality than this one and sometimes appears to have been coloured. It might originally be a colour photo but it's difficult to tell. Anyway I thought it shows the aircraft and it's pilot quite well.

Last night I did manage to get a few bits and pieces done on this project but nothing worth any photos yet.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Giorgio and thank you. If you do decide to try the stippling white paint I would suggest you practice on some scrap first. It took me a while to get the effect how I wanted it to work but I was doing it on a Russian tank, the first time I did it properly, so I could cover it with heavy weathering/mud if it all went horribly wrong! As I mentioned I thin the paint quite heavily and then dry the stippling brush off somewhat before using it.

Thanks for the heads up, Stix :thumbsup: I use a very similar process when weathering piston engine exhausts, I just never thought of using it for white and on big surfaces. I'll definitely run some tests on some expendable plastic part 😉:thumbsup2: 

Great pic, BTW!

Ciao

• Like 1

6 hours ago, giemme said:

Thanks for the heads up, Stix :thumbsup: I use a very similar process when weathering piston engine exhausts, I just never thought of using it for white and on big surfaces. I'll definitely run some tests on some expendable plastic part 😉:thumbsup2: 

Great pic, BTW!

Ciao

Hi Giorgio. I look forward to seeing the results!

This evening I have managed to take some photos of the progress over the past two evenings. First showing what I have done with the bombs and pylons:

30751703018_ff412faa4b_b.jpg

44572159532_f7a039520e_b.jpg

I have also been working on the wheels and landing gear:

30751701738_2eba4a1181_b.jpg

30751700758_9f0273caf1_b.jpg

30751699918_54cdf540d3_b.jpg

Finally the results of the painting and assembling of the prop:

43903065744_96d6331182_b.jpg

I may not get much time tomorrow evening to work on this but hopefully later in the week will see some more progress.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 6

On 11/09/2018 at 20:58, giemme said:

Brilliant, and spot on weathering! :clap:

Ciao

Thank you very much Giorgio.

On 11/09/2018 at 23:10, amblypygid said:

Very nice, Stix. Those bombs look proper business-like.

Hi amblypygid and thank you. I was quite pleased with how they turned out.

On 12/09/2018 at 17:22, modelling minion said:

Superb work Stix.

The bombs look real, I have never managed to get such good lines around bombs and fuel tanks.

Thank you Craig. The line decal around the middle was okay - I just cut away all the carrier film and then kept nudging it with a small paintbrush as it dried. The one on the sloping end was a pain to do, to be honest. The decal for the ends is designed as a curve so I couldn't cut the film away from around it but, even though it's designed to go around the round slope it does not sit flat and meet up with the other end. I ended up getting the ends to meet but with the bottom edge of the decal sticking out. Once the top edge of the curve had set in place I ended up drenching the whole decal with Humbrol Decalfix. After a while the decal became pliable enough to get it to sit flat on the curve's contours. It took a while and a lot of.....grumbling.

On 12/09/2018 at 19:16, Tbolt said:

Some great painting and weathering there.

Thank you very much Tbolt.

A couple of update photos.

I have done a bit more on the undercarriage:

44661061241_3d0285d604_b.jpg

The whole aircraft has been given a couple of coats of Pledge (new version of Klear) and then, once dry, I applied the decals - including the stencils - to the undersides. These were then given another coat of Pledge:

29723364037_f31bbc8f79_b.jpg

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 8