Kansas Tornado II (Academy Razorback)

Well despite the issues it looks like an impressive Thunderbolt from where I'm sitting! Decals are always fun aren't they! :fight:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Unlucky on those decals,they're like cardboard at times, i bin academy decals as a rule unless they're cartograph or similar, I've had a 48th f14 and a 48th su27 both ruined in the same way as yours, only i used vallejo paints at the time , (will not sand, and feather in) i only use vallejo for brush painting figures and details now, still you look to have saved the tornado decal, and its still on its way to turning out really good, keep on

Glynn 

Kagero decals, i see , look to be the same thickness  as academy ones though 

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 1

It's a mix, Glynn. The Kagero sheet is printed by Cartograf, but as they have markings for four aircraft in three scales on a single sheet, it covers only the absolute minimum necessary. The only Academy decal I used was the first attempt at the port fuselage star; this was then replaced (and all other stars sourced from) a generic Xtradecal sheet. I don't have many Academy kits; the only other one I can think of right now is their Grey Ghosts boxing of the 1/48 F-4, but I checked, and that has a Cartograf sheet, thank goodness.

• Like 1

Thanks, RJ. It's certainly a more distinctive scheme than I'd first thought when I picked it.

Some limited further progress: canopy and prop attached (though some final tidying work required), and a bit of pastel dirt added.

resized_8e53cbee-4fce-4996-a2f3-a09e3213

resized_658ccaae-e03a-45b7-9ee0-fb12fd65

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 10

Thanks, Steve, and thanks, Stix.

I finished KT2 off last weekend, I think, but non-modelling stuff has taken over most of this week, and I'm struggling to get decent photos to post in the gallery. In the meantime, here's what I've just taken

resized_d575d70e-e7a3-4b68-8b60-af4882a9

resized_eb9b9ef5-e27e-4c99-8cc8-4e07f49e

resized_a68f6688-6c50-4e5e-9c94-c46abf09

As you can see, only some relatively light weathering around the port wing root, and to bring out the panel lines on the markings and the control surfaces.

• Like 10

That looks amazing.

It's odd how our own problems stand out like neon signs more often than not but to others they can be unnoticeable. Even with my very short experience I have encountered some of the difficulties of decals especially those in the inconsistencies between different printings and I assume manufacturers. You've done a wonderful job on this one the paintwork looks incredible.

• Thanks 1

Thanks; that's very kind of you to say. It's one of my better NMF efforts, not that there have been many, though I should really get some more shades so that I can differentiate some panels. The decals are just one of those things. Frustrating because I know better. Ah, well, two Tamiya kits should be arriving tomorrow, so plenty of opportunity to improve!