Paul Lucas color conundrums

occa

Hello everybody,

Can anyone please point me to all past issues of SAM that had his articles ?

Of the more recent issues I only own the Feb 2018 issue that had an article about Mitchells

Thanks in advance.

Martin

Thanks Graham,

But I seem to recall you mentioned a two part Malta Spitfire series in the Dec 2015 and in the Jan 2016 issues.

Maybe they weren't called Color Conundrum then ?

Unfortunately these issues aren't available anymore so I depend on a kind soul that maybe scans them for me.

Stevehnz managed to track down jpgs of those two articles from the initial quote, so I guess that was right.  Drop him  a PM.  I still have them still myself but have gutted the magazines and kept the articles in a safe place.  So safe I've no idea where.  What's more embarrassing is that I've found them once... and it's too hot in the loft to spend any time searching.  Those of you from hotter climates can laugh now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

The earliest one I Have is February 2017. Unfortunately, I don't have any 2016 issues. The August 2017 issue has Part 1 of a two part series Another Malta Story. Again, unfortunately, I don't have Part 2.

Chris

• Like 1

I've got parts 1 & 2 of the pair Chris mentions above in hard copy, best I start scanning. I'll make them available on Drop Box or Google Drive, whichever I can get to work. Might be a day or two though.

Steve.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Stevehnz managed to track down jpgs of those two articles from the initial quote, so I guess that was right.  Drop him  a PM.  I still have them still myself but have gutted the magazines and kept the articles in a safe place.  So safe I've no idea where.  What's more embarrassing is that I've found them once... and it's too hot in the loft to spend any time searching.  Those of you from hotter climates can laugh now.

Too hot in Britain? Surely you jest!

Ley

Thanks a lot everybody !!!

And special thanks to Steve, got them.

I've just ordered the latest July 2018 issue that has the article about Malta Blenheims in Dark Med Blue ...

Unfortunately my local book and magazine shop had already sent the remaining issues back.

Strict policy obviously, otherwise they wouldn't get a refund for those not sold, at least so was I told.

12 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I'm not sure when they started, but certainly from December 2016.

More recently there has also been a one page piece in the subscribers-only section.

Is there a way you could copy that and PM me a link ?

No problem if it causes too much trouble ... just asking.

I didn't buy every edition of the magazine so there will be some gaps.

July 2018 US Equivalent Colours for the RAF 1938 - 42 part 1

June 2018 Blenheim MK IVs of Bomber Command 1939 - 41

May 2018 Grey Green 1924 - 45

Feb 2018 2nd TAF Olive Green Revisited

Nov 2017 Late War Luftwaffe Camouflage

Oct 2017 The 18 Group Coastal Command 'Norge' Scheme of 1943

May 2017 The Deep Sky Blue Mystery

April 2017 Brewster Buffalo Far East 1941

March 2017 Deck Colours of RN Aircraft Carriers

Feb 2017 P-38 Pathfinders 5 group

Dec 2016 Undersurface Colours FAA 1945 -55

Nov 2016 Fluorescent Finishes for RAF and FAA Aircraft 1958 - 1977

Sept 2016 ldentification and Disguise for the Royal Flying Corps August 1 91 2-February 191 5
June 2016 Upper Surface Camouflage for the RAF in the Middle East March 1939 - January 1941
May 2016 Under Surface camouflase for Day Flying Aircraft in Middle East Command June to October 1940

April 2016 Brown and Grey Messerschmitt 109Es in the Battle of Britain

• Thanks 4

Search the magazines on ebay and shoot through for years you want….most mag dealers list or scan the index page so you can see whats in them . That's what I do.

What I have in addition to 303sqn's list

January 2018 - Operation Jui-Jitsu: RAF Radar Reconnaissance Overflights of the Soviet Union with the RB-45C Tornado 1952 – 1954

December 2017 - Late War Luftwaffe Camouflage Part 2 - RLM 83

July 2017 - Phantom Finish - Royal Navy F-4K Phantoms FG.1's 1966-1979

June 2017 - Deep Sky Blue Mystery Part 2

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The ones I have that neither 303sqn or Dogsbody have listed are.

Feb 2016 The best Laid Plans- Supermarine swift sqns that might have been.

Oct 2016 Low Level camo for HP Victor B.2s 1954=68

Jan 2017 Shades of Sky , FAA under surfaces 1945-55

Aug 2017 A Malta Story Continued pt 1

Sept 2017  A Malta Story Continued pt pt2

March 2018 Prelude to an Air Force 1908-13

April 2018  Prelude to an Air Force 1914-18

Paul Lucas has obviously contributed this seriesbto Scale Aiorcraft Modelling since some tome in 2015 as witnessed by the 1st of his Spitfires to Malta storys in the Dec 2015 issue.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Paul Lucas has obviously contributed this seriesbto Scale Aiorcraft Modelling since some tome in 2015 as witnessed by the 1st of his Spitfires to Malta storys in the Dec 2015 issue.

Steve.

Goes back earlier than 2015 I think. I stopped buying the magazine after I started subscribing to AMW around 2012 and I recall articles on Fortress I colors and another on what color was used on RAF late model B-25s after the USAAF had gone to unpainted exteriors

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Chuck1945 said:

Goes back earlier than 2015 I think. I stopped buying the magazine after I started subscribing to AMW around 2012 and I recall articles on Fortress I colors and another on what color was used on RAF late model B-25s after the USAAF had gone to unpainted exteriors

I'm sure I've got a 'Paul Lucas looking' RAF B-17 article, however if I'm not mistaken this article was published in Model Aircraft Monthly magazine.

Perhaps Paul jumped ship from one mag title to another? I'll try to confirm this when I get back home.

Cheers.. Dave

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I've been having a furkle around on ebay for back issue SAMs & this popped up, Sept 2001 & a rosette on the cover saying :Colour Conundrum New Colour scheme series"  Not sure if this is Paul Lucas too but assuming that's his by line, they've been about for a fair while.

Steve.

They certainly have - I can recall these popping up up now and then well over 10 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2018 at 9:08 AM, stevehnz said:

I've been having a furkle around on ebay for back issue SAMs & this popped up, Sept 2001 & a rosette on the cover saying :Colour Conundrum New Colour scheme series"  Not sure if this is Paul Lucas too but assuming that's his by line, they've been about for a fair while.

Steve.

Yes, he wrote for SAM when Neil Robinson was editor, then followed Neil to MAM when Neil left SAM.

• Thanks 2

He wrote an article in the "Airfile" series in MAM in Jan 2009 on Sunderland III colours, Apr 2009 on Spitfire 22/24, Jul/Aug 2009 on Spitfire IX, Sep 2009 Spitfire XIX, Feb 2010 on Mosquito FB.6 post war as well as the Fortress one in August 2007 and one on Special Night in Feb 2007 and Intruder Hurricanes in Jan 2008 which weren't part of any particular series of articles.

There's also a July 2008 Airfile on Meteor F8 camouflage and markings that has no name attributed but which is in his style.

These are just what I've found with a quick browse of my index, doubtless there are more including the infamous PRU Mauve one, especially as earlier issues haven't made the computerised index yet.

• Thanks 2

The first CC was, as noted above, in the Sept. '01 SAM although Paul Lucas had written articles previously; for example, "Civil Aircraft Modelling - Do Civil Colours Really Matter?" in April '01.

The early CCs are as follows:

Sept 01.  2TAF Green.

Nov 01.   Shades of Olive Drab. (Interestingly listed as "CC 3" in the index although l can't find a #2!).

Dec 01.  The Hawaiian Operation.

Jan 02.   Merlin-engined Seafire Colours.

Feb 02.  Olive Drab.  (Written by Dana Bell).

Mar 02.  Spitfire Experimental Colours.

Jan 03.  Avro Lincoln Spinner Colours.

Feb 03.  Marseille's Bf109Fs.

Edited by bil
Edited to correct auto-correct.
  • Thanks 2