Cold War US Navy/Marine Corps jets. What Am I missing?

I'm developing a bit of a "thing" for US Navy/Marine Corps jets of the coldwar.

Tomcat - Done

P6171594.jpg

Phantom - Done

P2110374.jpg

Vigilante - WIP

P6231609.jpg

Intruder - In the stash

Hornet - In the stash

Crusader - In the stash

What am I missing?

Edited by Harry_the_Spider
  • Like 3

Nice models ! What do you miss ? Depends on how far back in the Cold War you want to go.

Starting from the latest types, the Corsair and Skyhawk are IMHO compulsory in any similar collection, they served for many years with distinctions and crossed from the high-vis era to the tactical greys schemes.

If you want to go back in time, then the various fighters of the '50s are quite interesting. Types like the Demon, the Tiger, Fury, Cougar and Skyray are fascinating subjects, even if they served for quite short times. Going farther back in time will bring you to the Korean war types, like the Panther, Banshee and Skyknight.

Then there are those types that may have not seen much frontline service but remained in use for many years in other roles, like the Skywarrior or the two-seat Cougars. Thinking of it, the Skywarrior is maybe another type that should be in any collection

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 3

There's the original McDonnell FH-1 Phantom

also

AV-8B/B+/NA

North American T-2A Buckeye

Vought F6U Pirate

Vought F7U Cutlass

F-35B & C Lightning II

Ryan FR-1 Fireball (well it had a jet engine)

• Like 1

Don't forget

Grumman E-2 Hawkeye

Grumman C-2 Greyhound

Grumman S-2 Tracker

Grumman E-1 Tracer

Grumman C-1 Trader

Sikorsky Seaking

Sikorsky H-34 series

Douglas A-1 Skyraider

Recce versions of F-4 (for marines)

Just a few more!

Also, for me, Cold War USN/Marines means Light Gull Grey upper and Insignia white undersurfaces

Terry

• Like 1

As a slight departure from topic, but not too far...

The Revell Osprey.  I know it is an older kit and the Hasegawa is more representative of the service aircraft, but is it any good?

Edited by Harry_the_Spider

On 6/29/2018 at 6:30 PM, Giorgio N said:

Nice models ! What do you miss ? Depends on how far back in the Cold War you want to go.

Starting from the latest types, the Corsair and Skyhawk are IMHO compulsory in any similar collection, they served for many years with distinctions and crossed from the high-vis era to the tactical greys schemes.

If you want to go back in time, then the various fighters of the '50s are quite interesting. Types like the Demon, the Tiger, Fury, Cougar and Skyray are fascinating subjects, even if they served for quite short times. Going farther back in time will bring you to the Korean war types, like the Panther, Banshee and Skyknight.

Then there are those types that may have not seen much frontline service but remained in use for many years in other roles, like the Skywarrior or the two-seat Cougars. Thinking of it, the Skywarrior is maybe another type that should be in any collection

Skyknight also saw service in Vietnam, so might move up the list.

Has anyone mentioned the Corsair yet? Stubby brother of the Crusader. Last examples fought in the Gulf IIRC. Then there's the Savage, currently only available as a Mach 2 rough and expensive kit.

Edited by Bonehammer

On 7/7/2018 at 9:39 AM, Harry_the_Spider said:

As a slight departure from topic, but not too far...

The Revell Osprey.  I know it is an older kit and the Hasegawa is more representative of the service aircraft, but is it any good?

It's the so-so Italeri kit:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234992571-bell-boeing-mv-22-osprey-172-revell/

Cheers,

Andre

Hello Harry,

At the start, choose a role, as fighter, anti sub, mud movers or so….

Then dive in… It's a great collection ! and today it's well represented… Well almost depending of the scale you choose !

Grumman Guardian both hunter and killer… The same stand for the Avenger… Then tracker's and vikings

F11f Tiger, and so on… Mainly a blue and grey affair :guitar:

Keep going on ! it's a great idea, I mean huge idea !!

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

If your interests also encompass the USN/USMC Aggressor units of the Cold War era, then the following are options to explore:

A-4 Skyhawk (E,F and TA-4F versions are good for Cold War era Aggressors)

F-5 E/F Tiger II

T-38 Talon

F-16N

F-21 Lion

You could work on an air group at a time. Micro/Superscale did sets of decals for a number of the CAGs.

Or you could go into a theme - all the a/c since 1950 flown by VF-84 (and its predecessors/successors.

I have every USN Phantom squadron represented on my shelves.

Don't forget the A-3, a very important type for Carrier Air wings with decades of service as a bomber, tanker and EW platform.

Also worth noting is the F4D Skyray, probably the prettiest of the early Carrier fighters.