Takom Chieftain MK 5

Chieftain #3, one can never have too many as I already have a MK 10 and a MK 11 and now the cousin a MK 5.

It's all ready for some paint but so is the Meng Merkava MK IV and the Takom Panther A so a painting session is on the horizon.

Both of my other Chieftains are in the BATUS scheme so this one will probably end up as green with black for something different.

9pda5ug.jpgSz5RVJq.jpgCBkn0d4.jpgET22NV5.jpgiz0F3qz.jpg

• Like 9

LLoyd,

We have such a similar taste in tanks!! I am eyeing up one of these at the moment, fancy this one, but its still too expensive here, need to sell some of my stash to afford it.

Its looking good.

Hi Widow

Amazon.ca had this on sale for Cdn$47 and free shipping so I jumped on it. It sells locally for around Cdn$90 so it was a good deal and now I have 3 Chieftains.

I'm thinking a faded green base color with some black random camo should be about right as my other 2 Chieftains are in variations of the BATUS sand/green.

According to some of the reviews I've read the decals "11B" are actually for a Mk 11 and there are no other choices on the decal sheet. Wish I had kept some of the spare

markings from the Mk 10 and Mk 11 I built previously but I'll have to come up with something different.

Take care,

Lloyd

BTW, going down to Ottawa the last 2 weeks of July and going to spend more time scoping out that Panther A at the Cdn War Museum.  When I was there 2 yrs ago

I was rushed for time that day but this visit I'll take my time. Wish I could sneak a camera in there though.  Need a James Bond special button camera.

There's a Centurion there too that deserves more attention.

Lloyd,

Not surprised you bought 3 at that price!!! thats a great deal. I think the cheapest over here is around £50.....😥, so i've just spent the last couple of hours "recycling" some money by auctioning some aircraft kits that I have but no longer have the time or interest for, to be continued....

I was taught tank gunnery on a Mk11 Chieftain, back in 1988 then moved onto Challenger soon after, but I fancy a Mk5 as this is more of the era I'm interested in, and it will sport European camouflage.

Sneak you camera in with you, its got to be worth it.

Centurion......mmmmm, got one of them, don't want to build it as its an old tamiya one.

Speak soon

Nick

Hi Nick

I only got the MK 5 from Amazon for $47, the Mk 10 and Mk 11 both came from the LHS and they were something like Cdn$90 each if I remember.

I painted the black primer on the Mk 5 this AM and same with the Merkava IV then the air valve in my airbrush seized up and that ended the paint session.

Took my Iwata HPC Plus apart and managed to screw up the o-ring on the air valve piston so now I need parts.  There's Maple Airbrush in Edmonton who

have all of the Iwata parts in stock so I'll get some o-rings and a spare needle and nozzle. Today is Canada Day and Monday is a stat holiday so guess I don't worry about

parts until mid next week.

I've looked at an AFV Centurion a few times and may get one yet as I like the look.  There sure is a difference in the turret on the Mk 5 Chieftain vs the Mk 10 and Mk 11 as

it doesn't have all the add on armour and looks lots slimmer and trimmer. Is that the "Stilbrew Armour" that was added to the later versions?

Got a dandy fine prairie thunderstorm going on at the moment, lots of booms and flashes and rain in torrents but sure hope no hail.  It sort of spoils the Canada Day stuff

at Kin Coulee Park but i wasn't going anyway.

Thanks Soeren

The Chieftain is black at the moment and won't get any green camo or what ever until I fix the blasted airbrush.  I also intended to paint the interior of that Takom

Panther A today but that's on hold too. did manage to get a black primer coat on the Merkava IV though so I'm a little ahead of where I started this morning.

Take care guys

Lloyd

• 1 month later...

Widow 65

Made it back from Ottawa and managed to spend a whole day at the War Museum. Most of the armour is downstairs in a wide open display area.

Ran into a guy who was an Ordnance Tech or some such with the Cdn Forces in Afghanistan and was standing beside a Leopard 2 that was over there before we got

the Leo 4s from Holland. I shot the breeze with him for at least a half hour, he was full of details about the Leo's. Right beside the Leo was a Chieftain MK 11 in the

BATUS sand/green camo so I scoped that out pretty good, huge gun. Beside the MK11 was a something or other 90, British self propelled 155mm howitzer, huge and 

an even bigger gun. The gentleman talked about aligning the sights on the Leo and Chieftain and got quite technical, most of which I missed, gyros and stuff.

They had a Panther A with zimmerit and three color camo, a Jagdpanzer IV with the L70 long gun in basic yellow and a Panzer III in grey with a little dinky 50 mm main gun. then

they had a M3 Lee and a Grant, both ugly with the main gun off to the side, some Shermans, a Firefly with the 17 pounder and that's a pretty big gun too and a Russian T-34 85 which surprisingly

wasn't much bigger than a Sherman.

Various APC's and a Soviet BRDM I think it was and even an APC that was converted to a command post and it was big.

On the same floor there was artillery from 37mm German anti-tank up to 155mm more modern and even an 8" howitzer from WW1. The German 88 was a decent sized gun too

and looked rather menacing with the barrel parallel to the floor waiting on a Sherman. A ton of various AA guns from 50 cal mgs, 20mm single, double and even a German quad

and Navy 3", 4" and 5" and a double 5" turret off a destroyer, those 5" were fairly big guns, wonder what an 8" turret or a 16" triple turret looks like. And an old Gatling gun  

that was used against the tribes in our west, the Indians called it a noisemaker and weren't to afraid of it apparently.

Oh yes there is a complete CF-101B Voodoo interceptor hanging from the rafters and it's big. Some of that stuff makes a human feel pretty tiny.

Upstairs in the main display area you go through from the start of the European discovery of Canada all the way up to the current Afghanistan conflict. Of course I spent most of my time

in the WW1, WWII and Korean areas.  They have a shot up Stug III L48 that ran afoul of some British tank crews and is real beat up, wonder it didn't burn, the armour is shredded

and the gun is askew as it was hit several times with some serious stuff. Don't think the crew made it.

Further on there is a Centurion MK5 and a Russian T72 in Iraqi colors and another big tank but I can't remember what it was, too much to take in and unfortunately no camera allowed.

There's a Spitfire hanging from the rafters upstairs and it's not that big but looks pretty trim and deadly. Some beautiful really detailed ship models in what looks like about 1/96

scale of some of Canada's naval evolution, mostly British hand-me-downs but there is a wonderful tribal class destroyer from WW2 I'd like to steal. Then there's Canada's only carrier,

the Bonaventure which was bought from the U.K. also. A two masted what looks like a frigate with the old brass cannons, really well done, must have taken a long time for

the rigging with these hundreds of scale wooden blocks, looks like about 1/48 scale as it's about 4 ft long. All hand laid plank on frame and individual planks on the deck, can't

imagine how long it took to build or what it's worth.

That's my long winded summary of the museum and yes I would go back for the third time as there's always something missed only this time I will have a cell phone for

some pics as the Asian tourists were using them and no one complained.  Don't have a cell but I'll borrow the wife's.

Take care,

Lloyd 

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 1

Thanks Francis

It's been sitting in black primer for the last 3 weeks and I have to eventually get around to the dark green camo and

finish it off. Not much enthusiasm since returning from holiday though.

Take care,

Lloyd

Hi Soeren

The Trumpeter 1/16 Jagdtiger that I ordered last Sept 5th along with the Trumpeter 1/16 King Tiger with the optional Porsche turret

is supposed to be at the LHS next Friday. It is finally at the port in Vancouver so since Monday is a holiday here then I'm hoping

it should show by next weekend.  When they arrive I'll be back in the swing and full speed ahead.

Don't know which I'll tackle first or maybe both at once.

Take care,

Lloyd

15 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Thanks Francis

It's been sitting in black primer for the last 3 weeks and I have to eventually get around to the dark green camo and

finish it off. Not much enthusiasm since returning from holiday though.

Take care,

Lloyd

My humble advice is, that you take your time, and when you really feel the urge / inspiration ... attacks. It is a very nice model (and good, I presume), and with that camo it would be really cool / menacing ...

Cheers Lloyd :thumbsup2:

Edited by FrancisGL

Hi Soeren

No I haven't ordered the 1/16 Panther yet.  I want it and I'll be getting it but if the Jagdtiger and King Tiger finally do show up after I have

waited almost a year for them then I should be good until near Christmas.  Then I'll think about the Panther in the New Year.

Apparently the LHS is also bringing in the 1/16 Trumpeter M1A1 and the T-72 and one of the MRAP trucks, I'll look at them but not really interested. 

I saw some of the Miniart 1/35 T-54s and T-55s when I was in Ottawa and they look like excellent kits but of course with full interiors which I'm

not keen on in 1/35 any more. I may have to order one or both though when I get the 1/16 stuff taken care of.

I will be building the 1/16 King Tiger with the Porsche turret as I already have one with the Henschel. I managed to find a North American supplier

for the ATAK zimmerit for the 1/16 Porsche turret version so I ordered their set ZM-1602 which will match the zimmerit I applied to my 1/16

Henschel version.  That turned out really well and I hope the second kit looks as good.  Also thinking of zimmerit on the Jagdtiger but I

think it looks strange as it only goes part way up the sides of the fighting compartment. Need to ponder that some more.

Take care,

Lloyd

• 4 months later...

Thanks John

Better lay in a stock of Tamiya tape before tackling that BB Chieftain.  I looked at

that scheme on the box for my Mk 10 when I built it and said no, no, life's too short.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Take care, 

Lloyd

• Like 1