Lightning F.6 XS903/BA 11 Sqn Pilots Name?

Blacktjet

The name of the Pilot or the name painted on the side of the Aircraft, if there was one ? 

However, OC 11Sqn was Wg Cmdr D R Hamilton at this time, I would have a punt that if a name was on the side of the jet it would be his... although that does not mean he was the pilot when it flew.

2 hours ago, Darth Vader said:

Almost certain it was Wing Commander Jake Jarron . It did have his middle inital but it escapes me

If you can't make it out on the photo, his middle initial is 'C'

• Thanks 1

Thanks all, WG CDR JC JARRON it is. Problem with museum a/c is that you can never be 100% sure that the pilot name is correct or even real. Now I know the name, you can just about make it out on this pic

https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/2282/xs903-uk-air-force-english-electric-lightning-f-6/

Edited by Blacktjet
Stupid Smartphone!

J C Jarron flew the aircraft into Elvington from Binbrook in 1988 not sure which month probably spring time. The aircraft had his name on it when it arrived. Pretty sure it landed with overwing tanks on it too. My father went to see it arrive.

I have the Squadron Prints image of the Lightning (XS903 BA) in those markings (No 273) and it is indeed Wg Cdr J C Jarron as the pilots.  Not a photo but almost as good

George

13 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

On http://www.xisquadronassociation.co.uk//old-site/ OC's are

08 Apr. 1982Wg Cdr J H Spencer

14 Dec. 1984Wg Cdr S N Bostock

10 Jun. 1987Wg Cdr J C Jarron

01 Jul. 1988Wg Cdr D R Hamilton

28 Mar. 1991Wg Cdr J A Cliffe

Jarron did just over a year then, did he become a Groupie ??

No - he was promoted a few years later (early 90s) and went to Cranwell as the Staish on that promotion; he ended up in Moscow (IIRC) as the Defence Attache.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, XV107 said:

No - he was promoted a few years later (early 90s) and went to Cranwell as the Staish on that promotion; he ended up in Moscow (IIRC) as the Defence Attache.

Cheers XV107.

David Hamlton was a Sqn Ldr on 5Sqn he was posted to Mod London. He was promoted to W/C later on but never Commanded 11F Lightnings he was the W/C of 11F Tornado F3. his books a good read too.   11F Tornado F3's were the 4th sqn to be equipped with the type the had the tail letter "D" David Hamlton forgave the A jet (most Sqn commander haver the "A" ident in there Aircraft ie BA) David took the H prefix so his jet became DH.

Edited by tweeky

That, of course, was the reason for Jake Jarron's tenure being shorter than normal - the Lightning was retired from service, which rather set the end date for his departure...