Douglas DC 7C Revel + corrections

17 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Nice project and you are going the long mile on building it..

Thanks, Jan.

I could see there wasn't much point in building the kit the way it was!

And a good opportunity to get some experience in bigtime freestyle mods.

• Like 2

Gradually progressing, with priming, filling and rubbing down.

I'm not going to get the thing perfect, but then it's not that grade of kit, is it?.

Here is the general proportions of the airframe...

IMG_20180705_235300

Done as much with the fuselage as I'm up for.

I did have a go at the forward fuselage windows.

I formed the opinion that Revell squeezed 3 Windows in to the space where 2 had been, without lengthening the fuselage.

And they were too close together.

IMG_20180708_184816

And here's the original...

IMG_20180708_184838

I'm not sure!

Of course it's going to have issues with the supplied transfer décor, but I think I can paint my way past that hurdle.

So, final round of preparation and on with a good dose of rattle can primer after fitting the rudder.

IMG_20180709_230658

And a blast of Halfords Appliance White.

IMG_20180709_225333

The thing is, I haven't worked over the starboard side windows, and I don't know if it is effective, or even correct, to re-space them.

But having them different on either side would be a bit wierd...

But you can't see both sides at the same time....!😕

• Like 6

Outstanding work Rob, this is an excellent tutorial....AND for such a small kit... a question slightly off topic.... does that chrome tape take paint very well?? I have to paint front of the engine covers on the C 47, and it got me to wondering........

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Biggu said:

does that chrome tape take paint very well?? 

I don't have any problems with paint on the Ali.

I usually get some primer on-- if it is a spray can job then rattle can primer first.

With a brush painting item, I like to get a fairly close Matt undercoat on first to give the gloss some traction, but really that's to achieve even coverage rather than adhesion issues.

You might want to give decals a bit of extra help.

I use Decalfix on the metal, and if it looks like it's " refusing" and retracting with surface tension, I find just smearing it about with a finger helps it cover, ready for a transfer.

• Thanks 1

Now then, here's the thing....

As is mentioned in other threads, the Pan American side Stripes supplied have no white background-- it's just blue on clear.

But beneath the lower line of blue, I need a line of white showing before I get to the bare metal.

dc7c-3

Right back to under the tailplanes.

So what I'm doing here is trying to plot precisely where the decal line will go, and foil the fuselage underneath to give that white line showing.

And project the curve around underneath the nose, to give a white background behind the nose Stripes.

Did I mention that the nose contours have been considerably altered?😰

IMG_20180710_225617

2018-07-10_10-57-30

And of course, the Stripes are now 8mm short.

I can't leave this lot till the final "decorations".

I need to take my best shot now, while I've got the fuselage in hand and accessible.

I'll let you know...!!!

• Like 4

Thanks, Rob......I can't believe you are foiling already.....you are ripping through this..... ok, the primer makes sense, I am planning ( as I'm an enamel guy) using Testors Model Master Paints, and I will be using the excellent Leading Edge decals I also use Micro Sol etc......so I am cautiously optimistic this will work....... If it all goes down the pan, I'm sure I can take to foil off and paint the airplane..... maybe I shouldn't have used the expensive new too Airfix C47 eh? LOL......I am watching the Master at work here and taking notes........sorry, as I'm trying not to hijack you build or take it off track.......I watch you and I learn....I'm eagerly waiting for the next installment...

• Like 1

On 05/07/2018 at 23:46, rob Lyttle said:

walkarounds, see if there is any thing there to give me a steer.

Trouble is, these guys are always obsessed with the wheel-wells!!!

I was right, though, wasn't I @stevehnz....!??😀

• Haha 1

@Biggu, I took my Italieri Air France DC3 along to the Tangmere model show for the club table, and next to us another club with a very nice example of the new Airfix Dakota, RCAF I think, and with skis.

Made for an interesting comparison and chat with the builder.

There was much praise for the new Airfix kit. For contrast I was telling him about the old 1973 Airfix gunship I was trying to beat into becoming a Lufthansa DC3 Airliner!

So enjoy the build and if you want to stick some pictures on this thread, go right ahead!

Edited by rob Lyttle
  • Like 1

Thanks Rob, that's VERY generous...... I will see what I can come up with.... never posted pics anywhere so that may be a bit of a learning curve..................

• Like 1

I've painted the window recesses dark grey, and then put PVA glue in the openings, on the starboard side, in an effort to glaze them.

IMG_20180712_190055

IMG_20180712_190114

Should dry clear and go some way towards filling up the holes.

Tell you what, though... Gloss white is a cruel paint finish when it comes to showing up any flaws !!

• Like 2

I can't complain about that!

IMG_20180712_213414

IMG_20180712_213433

A little hard to photograph clearly, but definitely an improvement on the empty recess look.

I'm going to do the other side, and then I think I'll tackle the cheat-line transfers while I've got maximum access.

I can protect them with a coat of clear gloss lacquer for the rest of the build.

One thing about Ali tape foiling is the black residue produced on fingers, tools and polished metal surfaces. It does tend to appear everywhere on paint and décor.

• Like 3

Tentative first efforts with the decal sheet were a little less than perfect...

IMG_20180713_223434

It's the thin blue lines that are the weak points- there's no carrier between them.

But I think I was a bit clumsy when the paper was still curled.

Obvs great care will be required!

I have a pretty good paint mix to match the blue, and I can cut blue lines from the other decal option which uses the same blue.

I tried the paint between the modified front windows on port side...

IMG_20180713_223449

Well, our Club annual show tomorrow, so building will have to take a rest for a minute.

Apparently we're in the Airfix magazine and the IPMS magazine this month, getting a win for Best Table display at the Tangmere Model Show, and there's the wee Air France DC 3!

• Like 5

Ok, major setback on the PanAm décor situation...

IMG_20180714_230541

Having had a savable mini crisis on the port side yesterday, I tried the other side with a similar sized rear section, with the utmost care.

Catastrophic failure of the decal is what I got.

I think it is fair to say the whole sheet is a wipeout.

I'm going to need a Plan B.

Not sure what.... I definitely don't have any thing else in 1/122 scale!

Ideas?

• Sad 3

Hope so @Space Ranger.

Bit of an odd scale, but somebody might have something going.

26Decals maybe?

Probably loads of makers I don't know about.

What I have got is a MATS Connie in 1/144, with USAF and Navy options on the sheet.

IMG_20180714_234204

If I keep the Navy MATS scheme, that leaves the USAF décor for the DC 7C.

Just need a few more srars-n-bars.

Well, it's an idea.

I'll keep looking see what's online!

• Like 2

While in attendance at the Club show, I did peruse the stalls, tables and boxes.

Look what I found...

IMG_20180715_002832

And there's an Aer Lingus option included.

The early style.... Should look like this...

EI-ANE Hurn Apr 1965 BAe Systems 1

So that's a nice happy conclusion, despite the previous setback!😉

Edited by rob Lyttle
spell check knows better! Aer Lingus
  • Like 3

Hi Rob,

Big four engined Douglas taxied by at Duxford yesterday.  Buffed to a chrome like finish and all four radials ticking over nicely. Sweet, thought of your build. 

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2

Dennis................ a real Big Doug? That's fairly rare these days isn't it? I know it sure is here in Canada..... Rob if you have hankerin to do another Dakota, my buddy Dave Koss at Leading Edge decals has re-issued, albeit temporarily I would suspect, his EXCELLENT Canadian Forces C 47 decal set in 1/72 and 1/48     lemdecal.com    I have a few of these sets, but I picked up a few more just in case....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biggu said:

...... a real Big Doug

Big enough, four engined.  Apparently it was a DC-6B from the Red Bull’s collection. ( How much of that darned stuff do they sell anyway?)

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rob.............. no Dave only has the regular scales, and mostly Canadian Military stuff, but has some civilian things, may not just be readily available........Jim Botatis at Jbot might have something  www.jbot.ca  and or he 'may' be able to rescale something he has?

Dennis, they must sell LOTS of stuff, if they can keep those pristine warbirds flying, I love that...... I haven't had my eyes on a big Doug since being in Alaska a few years ago, and a DC6 of Everts had just taken off from the airport in Fairbanks, and flew right over my head folding up the gear .... it was SO cool.....

• Like 2

Rob: Look here: http://www.vintageflyerdecals.com/index.html

He's on this side of the pond, if that makes a difference, and his decals are printed to order, which means a delay in getting them to you, but the products are excellent and so is his customer service. He has decals for Revell's 1/122 DC-7C (unmodified), but I'm sure there's something there that would work for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1