Douglas DC 7C Revel + corrections

17 hours ago, bzn20 said:

the wing insert comes straight off the Torque Box and the Dihedral starts inside No1 / 2 engines

Got you now, @bzn20 🌟

• Like 1

"Calling Doctor Lyttle for surgery, Dr. Lyttle E.R. Please......... "     Geez Rob, this is a real tutorial , and I'm enjoying ever second........ masterful job so far.....and for the record, I am trying your idea of the 'bare metal' on my C47 and it isn't perfect, but it is certainly working out VERY well, many thanks for the great idea... IF i can figure out how to post it when done I will .....might just send you a pm with a pic.... I'm watching this with great interest.....like a surgeon  LOL!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biggu said:

trying your idea of the 'bare metal' on my C47 and it isn't perfect, but it is certainly working out VERY well,

Delighted to hear it, @Biggu .

I'd love to see what you're doing with the C47 .

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

make things clear

Well done for finding these drawings and putting them on , where did you get them ?

19 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

Well done for finding these drawings and putting them on , where did you get them ?

Glad to help. As to source of drawings, it's been so long I can't recall where i got them. They were probably sent to me by another modeler.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

As to source of drawings, it's been so long I can't recall where i got them

I'm just glad you've got them, and shared them with us.

🌟🌟 Hi Nik @Nikolay Polyakov

This is going to take a while...!

I started working with some spars and 1/2inch strips of poly.

10ft additional wingspan= 5ft each side = 60inch

Scale is 1/122.... That looks pretty much like 1/120 to me.

And 60/120 = 1/2. Ta-Dahhh... 

Here's what I've got so far,

IMG_20180703_224009

IMG_20180703_223821

IMG_20180703_224126

I'm removing the flaps from the wing undersides, with a view to possibly being deployed.

Still feeling my way on that one.

• Like 4

Port wing coming together..

IMG_20180704_114420

IMG_20180704_165622

IMG_20180704_165700

The rivets moulded on the surface are huge, too big for 1/72 never mind this.

Rivet details are raised, but the panel lines are recessed and much too deep and heavy.

It's all getting filled or removed in the filling/ blending process.

• Like 6

Starboard wing coming on.

It's always a bit easier the second time around, when you have some idea what's going on.

IMG_20180704_234729

Here is an attempt at checking the dihedral angles match each other.

IMG_20180704_234710

Those big tabs are designed to overlap, one over and one underneath, inside the fuselage.

Should make for a good strong joint if it works- and it's looking okay at the moment.

• Like 2

Zooming in on the front elevation drawing, I'm seeing little protrusions under the wings, and I think they are at the stations indicated for the flap actuator assembly...

IMG_201807186_113058

They're indicated on the plan view although they're on the underside,

plan view. DC 7C

There's no indication of anything on the model moulding, of course, but I'm wondering if there is any images or refs showing what should be there.

I know from experience that these kinds of pictures are hard to find, but if anyone SHOULD happen across anything.....😀

I'm off to search through the DC 6 in the walkarounds, see if there is any thing there to give me a steer.

Trouble is, these guys are always obsessed with the wheel-wells!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow,OK. Thanks for that, Dennis!

Looks like I'm on the wrong track here.

Those are looking like big plain trailing edge single flaps.

I was expecting fully mobilised extending Fowler flaps coming out and then dropping.

This airframe must be just a little too early for that kind of thing?

Great find!

Looks like same thing on the DC 6 in the walkarounds

Oh well...

Edited by rob Lyttle
DC 6

On 7/3/2018 at 4:07 AM, Space Ranger said:

I think he's trying to say that the dihedral break is inboard of the inboard nacelle, which is correct. This front view should make things clear:

DC-7C Front View

And this exactly how it should be, Douglas just made a pretty simple insert for the wing of this plane in order to get it fly further.

Nice project and you are going the long mile on building it..

By the way the flaps on the DC7c are double slotted ones!!

https://www.deviantart.com/roaklin/art/DC-7-flaps-676302294

The pic is one of DC7b...but it stayed the same on the Seven..

They where allready in use on the A26 invader which was allready far ahead of the competition..

A26_Av_4505_flaps_open_p161_W.png

https://hiveminer.com/Tags/dc7%2Cdc7c/Recent

For me a good plane is a Douglas, sad that they lost the battle as they made very good planes...

Good luck,  Jan

Edited by janneman36
Info added
  • Like 2

I saw this thread some days ago, so I think I can be of some help, since I built a 1/72 DC-7C back in 2011. (Converted fron two Heller DC-6s and lot of scratchbuilt)

Unfortunately due to Photobucket issues I have no more pics on line, but from the back up I upload one photo of the finished model where you can see how the flaps system is.

65629b40-c2ba-436a-b294-40220340afe5.jpg

In this link, you find some interesting details.

Some further notes:

- the fairing you see under the wing are not the actuators: they cover the hinges and the actuators are inside the wing

- there is a little flap over and rigidly linked to the main one that disappears into the wing at "zero flap". Here how it works

- as you see in the drawing posted by Space Ranger, the flap sections are 4, and those short in the constant-chord-section partially retract under the wing-to body-fairing

Something more to note: both in the Alitalia DC-7C and in the Airliners.net photos, is visible that the outer engine nacelle protrudes a litlle over the flap, but it doesn't move with it.

It seems that Revell overdid this detail, and in the real thing, this protrusion in far shorter.

So that's it. If you need some further information, please ask and I'll rummage in the backup photos.

Regards

Eugenio

PS. Sorry if my technical english is not so correct. Hope you have got the point.

Edited by 72linerlover
typo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@Eugenio Revell is pretty correct about the outer nacelle fairing..

The last part of the fairing is in two parts, there is still some fairing on the flap itself.

Not always good to see but the 1/100 drawing shows this and when you look at the picture of N6000V you can see it as well..

I am familiar with your build and i found you a brave man  for doing it!!

Cheers, Jan

Edited by janneman36
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

@Eugenio Revell is pretty correct about the outer nacelle fairing..

The last part of the fairing is in two parts, there is still some fairing on the flap itself.

Not always good to see but the 1/100 drawing shows this and when you look at the picture of N6000V you can see it as well..

I am familiar with your build and i found you a brave man  for doing it!!

Cheers, Jan

Ah yeah Jan, you're right! I forgot I had to build up the part sitting on the flap. Age acts as a memory rubber.

Eugenio

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Top class gold star info on the DC7 C and the flaps arrangement.!

🌟🌟🌟

I'm familiar with the slatted type from doing the BAe Hawk...

IMG_20171227_205142

IMG_20171227_205247

Although they have a pivot point out on pylons to give more extension.

I have to weigh up the options here, but right now I'm thinking, put it back the way it was!

I've kind of got enough mods on the bench right now....😀

• Like 3

8 hours ago, 72linerlover said:

I built a 1/72 DC-7C

You sure did, that is fantastic . Well done .

• Like 1