1/72 Spitfires! The good, the not so bad, and the ...

Hi All

After a brief flirtation with Real Life, I returned to find the cleaning fluid hadn't done as much damage as I'd feared, and I was able to get the Tamiya XF-81 Dark Green 2 (RAF) onto the Hawk. However, it seemed quite a brownish green, almost an Olive Drab type of shade

DSCF6630.jpg

Must admit I was expecting a more greeny green, but meh, the least of the deviations from the actual norm of this build.

Canopy masking turned out ok though

DSCF6631.jpg

So, on with the decals.

Nice and smooth on the Mk.22

DSCF6635.jpg

Micro Sol took care of the carrier.

DSCF6638.jpg

DSCF6639.jpg

And even the rivets on the Hawk (scale size of espresso cups?) succumbed to chemical softening

DSCF6633.jpg

DSCF6640.jpg

DSCF6641.jpg

Still a couple of bubbles in there, I'll get a pin and more solution on them.

However, the PRXIX was having none of it

DSCF6642.jpg

The decals had refused to come free of the backing paper, even after three hours soaking. Eventually I had to carefully peel them from it, and so far they are steadfastly resisting any form of conforming.

I'll give them all a couple more days of sporadic applications of 'Sol, then see how they bed in.

DSCF6637.jpg

Comments and suggestions welcome

Cheers

Steve

• Like 8

Nice paint and decal work! :)

A pity the decals for the Swedish one didn't work as they should.

Håkan

• Thanks 1

Nice work Steve, they're all looking very smart :) 

Were the Swedish transfers thicker than the others? When I had a similar problem I got hold of some 'Daco Strong', the nuclear option for melting the things down. It's great stuff (if handled with care) and has helped me out on a number of occasions. 

• Thanks 1

Hi All

On 7/15/2018 at 6:50 PM, Beard said:

Nice work. Regarding the 19's transfers, I had some Airfix transfers which did much the same... odd.

Hi Beard, were they old transfers? These kits looked quite recent, although they did have some slight damp signs.

On 7/16/2018 at 7:24 AM, CedB said:

Nice work Steve, they're all looking very smart :) 

Were the Swedish transfers thicker than the others? When I had a similar problem I got hold of some 'Daco Strong', the nuclear option for melting the things down. It's great stuff (if handled with care) and has helped me out on a number of occasions. 

Hi Ced, they were quite thick, but so were the Mk.22 ones (as can be seen on the underside of the Hawk 22) and they reacted really well to the Micro Sol. Very impressive bulging rivet detail coming through on the Hawk!

I'm going to invest in some of that Draco Strong as I've quite a few aged kits in the back.

Thinking about it, several of them are water damaged to some extent, from signs of slight mildew to obvious submergence. Some instructions are mush, but the plastic is generally fine, just needs a wash. It's the decals that tend to suffer most.

Where's the best place to get budget after market decals? I've seen sheets that supply multiple markings for a specific aircraft, and specific role markings for multiple aircraft, but can I get a single aircraft marking set cheaply (after all, I'm building 50 year old kits...)?

Perhaps I should invest in a mask cutting contraption?

Anyhoo, I got the remaining sticky-out bits on them and here they are

DSCF6643.jpg

DSCF6644.jpg

DSCF6645.jpg

DSCF6646.jpg

I'll get some RFI snaps when it stops raining.

Thanks for all your help and encouragement, back soon.

Comments and suggestions welcome

Cheers

Steve

• Like 5

22 hours ago, ProfSparks said:

Where's the best place to get budget after market decals? I've seen sheets that supply multiple markings for a specific aircraft, and specific role markings for multiple aircraft, but can I get a single aircraft marking set cheaply (after all, I'm building 50 year old kits...)?

Tricky.

You're right that the 'multiple marking for a single type' sheets let you choose a subject from a number of options, but often they only include one set of 'common' markings like roundels so you end up with a lot of 'spares'. Annoying.

I usually stick to RAF WWII and have sheets for the three types of roundel (Xtradecal X72043, 4 & 5), sizes of idents (Xtradecal X72189 Sky and Kitsworld KW172154/5 Sea Grey that also include black 8" serials) and grey serials (Ventura V7253). That's seven sheets to cover the options and they range from about £3-7.

For about the same money you could get yourself a printer / scanner (around £30) and some clear and white decal paper. Assuming you're OK with software of course ('Inkscape' free and recommended to me by others. Bill also does great things with MS Word). Make sure you get good quality paper though - the cheap stuff may be OK for mugs (applying transfers to, not silly people) but they curl with small transfers.

AND / OR...

22 hours ago, ProfSparks said:

Perhaps I should invest in a mask cutting contraption?

I love my Silhouette Portrait2 (as you probably know) because it allows so much flexibility - with the possible exception of 8" serials (yet to be tried but probably dodgy) you can cut your own masks AND templates. I've done a few and so have Cookie and Giorgio. Tony (TheBaron) also uses his to produce metal foil detail with great results.

Getting expensive, sorry... but I think they're a good investment, especially if you're saving on the kits by buying older examples?

Let me know if you'd like some links to my pathetic efforts and I'll put something together...

HTH :) 

• Thanks 1

Hi All

On 7/18/2018 at 9:44 AM, CedB said:

Let me know if you'd like some links to my pathetic efforts and I'll put something together...

HTH :) 

NO WAY CED! I've followed your Silhouette experiments with much admiration and awe, but I've yet to reach that level of patience and dedication :worthy:.

(I've also yet to settle on a period or type to concentrate on. I'd like do WWI+II fighters, bombers, post war jets, civilian, whatever I can get cheap to experiment on.)

Looks like I'm going to juggle what I have with what I can salvage/replace.

Much fun!

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, very kind :) 

I'm with you on your choices, except maybe the civilian... after a certain point, to my eye, things got a bit 'samey'.