Spanish ERF truck *Finished*

richellis

While on a ‘lads’ holiday in Benidorm last year I spotted a couple of ERF trucks while on the coach, I managed to get over and have a look and came home with one. 

ERF was a British truck builder until MAN swallowed it up and ended production in Britain, finally binning the badge a few years later. ERF exported to Australia and New Zealand with good sales, and set there eye on the European market, selling in France, Holland and Spain.

I plan to do a copy of my rig, a very European spec 4x2. It’s hard to get a 1/24 ERF EC, only one company did a single run of transkits, and they are as rare as hens teeth. I managed to get a fifth hand kit that is well battered! This while build will be recycled using an old DAF chassis I have kicking about!

first job will be fix the cab, the door has been badly cut away and the screen pillar is broken! Just for starters! Then convert to LHD, then repair and convert the chassis! Hope to get it done in the time frame for the GB, no promises!

29193463768_d6d915d9c4_b.jpg

• Like 4

I remember seeing ERF trucks back in the day, never realised they'd gone by the wayside...

...glad to see something different in this GB, good luck with your plans and hope you can complete it in time

Thanks for the invite in the vehicle section!

Made some progress today, I made some interior panels from plasticard following the pressings in the real truck, this meant I could re-fit the door and overlapping the interior parts allowed be to cover the gaps as the door has been butchered by previous owners!

I have also dug my donor chassis out of the shed, the front axle is broken and needs replacement from the spares box. The cab is resting on the chassis for the pics. Happy with the cab repairs I chopped the dashboard, the kit is a right hand drive and I needed a left hooker for this. Lots of cutting with the saw and then re-assembleing gave me a mirror copy. I’ve also altered the cab floor moving the cup holder and box to the opposite sides. I’ve shown another kit I’ve in to re-build to show how it looked

43103750452_3b9ac6c393_b.jpg43103751302_b87a735448_b.jpg43103750442_1d53072803_b.jpg43103750102_e08d0c807c_b.jpg

• Like 3

Found a pic of the truck in service, it’s had all the livery striped off but I have ordered the decals for this and a few other builds I’ve got planned.

42456065254_c34fe30aca_b.jpg

The dash and interior is now looking a lot better and almost ready to paint and detail

43174106881_7da7e4193b_b.jpg

with the cab coming together nicely I popped the air deflectors on the side and the grill in place as its all white. A few points to repair and work on yet but it’s coming together well. It’s been 4 years since I brought it and thought I’d never be able to rescue it so I’m happy with progress 

43124465502_099c263696_b.jpg42456066854_a0d42bf506_b.jpg

• Like 4

Great job on the modifications ! Converting from RHD to LHD alone sounds like an "interesting" job...

Glad to see that you've managed to repair all the damage to the parts, I hadn't asked but I guess these are in resin, right ?

Enjoying my week off,  done some on the chassis, paint stripped, I had to replace the rear end as it wasn’t salvageable, spares box to the rescue again, and I’ve added a second diesel tank to the chassis

41403801480_2143756f2c_b.jpg42495350464_3a32f375ff_b.jpg41403801390_97086ec623_b.jpg42495350354_6d1b29b054_b.jpg

• Like 7

Thrown a bit of paint at this today, white on the bumper and steps (primer) and grey primer on the chassis to show where I need to work on the diesel tanks. Rockwell hubs have come for the back axle from KFS also today so they are on also

42417276135_016d3e2e97_b.jpg42417276335_ac98c09693_b.jpg

• Like 4

It is coming along very nicely.

I just remembered when I saw your post, 

I saw an ERF last week, an EC11? On British plates,

but I think it had a European name on the trailer.

Thanks for the comments, moving this forward, I’ve done a bit to the chassis, air tanks and lights are in place at the back and I’ve added the straps for the 2 diesel tanks and started some plumbing detail.  Letting the glue dry for a bit then I’ll add more wire to the chassis. Next job after that will be the susie gantry.

28599725307_420a81b11b_b.jpg28599725287_2a0b354a76_b.jpg

• Like 4

Another truck newbie joining in if I may?

I suppose the range of truck kits is rather more threadbare than the endless line of Spitfires etc!

By the way, what’s a susie gantry??

Trevor

Coming along very nicely Rich, far nicer than the one I drove for 3 weeks in the mid 70s, a broken down 6x4 logger with stuffed power steering. 3 weeks carting logs from log dumps to ship side around the harbour area was the best work out I ever had, lost over a stone & gained about 4 " across the shoulders.  :D  The cab architecture of yours looks somewhat similar though

Steve.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

I suppose the range of truck kits is rather more threadbare than the endless line of Spitfires etc

By the way, what’s a susie gantry??

Trevor

Yes, the availability of British trucks is limited, companies like KFS and Kingdom did/do resin conversions like this for us to use.

susie gantry, it’s the air and electrical connection lines between the cab and trailer (coiled leads you can see, normally black)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not much progress, wheels are painted. Took a few pics with another ERF EC I’m building, that’s a low roof version, shorter wheelbase and on steel suspension all round! The pics show the plumbing on the chassis. Need to think about some paint on the chassis now, Tamiya tank grey is a very close match, and I need some gloss white for the cab and bumper.

28706127527_325c3ca9ae_b.jpg28706128427_c206181e32_b.jpg43546591072_553b769649_b.jpg43546591492_07ae86c216_b.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is moving forward slowly, it’s being build alongside the red version too. Anyway, the cab is painted now, and my decals are done and on the way to me, and the ref plates I had custom made are also here and I couldn’t resist putting one on the bumper! The chassis is also complete, and painted grey and will be detailed next week when it’s dry!

small details are also in process, with the mirrors made up and in paint, same as cab grab handles and the air intake. Next on the to-do list is inside the cab! Needs painting and some clutter adding.

43755469632_ea2a80c61d_b.jpg43755469802_037089d0ee_b.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/KYWBnH

• Like 1