Vickers Wellington Mk.IA/C now in stock at Airfix.com

John

I just read the email from Airfix a few minutes ago; I can't wait for it to hit the shelves here in the USA! It looks good in the photos on the site.

Joe

Edited by JPuente54
add word

14 minutes ago, John said:

Mine is arriving on Monday, apparently. Found my Techmod sheet too:

P1020196

J

Snap!

Mine is also due to be delivered Monday (when of course I will be at work) and I found my Techmod sheet, which I had forgotten about, when I was looking reflectively, and a little sadly, in my Trumpeter Wellington's box (which looks increasingly unlikely to get built now) :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Yer tiz! A quick scoot at what arrived shortly.

43148346871_72a28d1fab_b.jpg

42429982874_b2996da500_b.jpg

42429980234_53d3394407_b.jpg

Colour paint and decal guides, A3 size and printed both sides for both decal options in the kit.

28279181027_9a70e3cfed_b.jpg

Nice touch for those of us who might complain. 😉

I have done some sprue shots, but others will do better ones no doubt. I need to go over the frames to check for anything missing or damaged, but first impressions are "when can I start building it!" :yahoo:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, dalea said:

What about those rear windows shown in the ads? Are they there or not ?

You’ll have to enlighten me, I’m afraid. It’s all safely back in its box and in the stash, but I’ll happily dig it out again if you like. 😍

I’ve just had a good look over everything, and now I need a sit down to recover! Lots of very lovely fine detail and interesting little features, and nothing obviously broken or mismoulded. At first glance, this sets a new bar for kits in this scale.

Edited by Heather Kay

1 hour ago, dalea said:

What about those rear windows shown in the ads? Are they there or not ?

Do you mean the roughly triangular windows in the rear fuselage?  If I remember correctly, these are for the Mk III and I'm sure I saw the appropriate blanking plates in a sprue shot somewhere.  Could well mean a Mk III will be along sometime? 

Looking forward to getting th;is one, hopefully my LMS will get stocks soon!

Edited by 593jones

5 minutes ago, 593jones said:

I'm sure I saw the appropriate blanking plates in a sprue shot somewhere. 

I think the blanking plates are on Sprue E, so you are right.

Airfix obviously have their eyes on other marks of this aircraft, which is encouraging.

Edited by Heather Kay

6 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I think the blanking plates are on Sprue E, so you are right.

Airfix obviously have their eyes on other marks of this aircraft, which is encouraging.

I doubt we'll see a BIII as the fuselage halves are only set up for the two gun tail turret and most IIIs had the four gun one which had a shallower fairing underneath.

The engines and horizontal tails are on a separate sprue so I believe a variant with a different engine is planned but I think a BII is more likely as the merlins will give more of a different look.

The triangular windows were used on the Mk VIII and also on the Mk Ic when used by coastal command (check photos of 311 sqn) so perhaps a maritime version is in the offing too.

Just my thoughts

Stuart

Just got mine today and very nice it is too.. Now then, I'm obviously missing something somewhere, but why is the there a sequence of morse code letters engraved into the inside of the tops of the wings?? If you put the letters together it reads TOWNSHEND. (the other way round it just doesn't make sense) 

A quick google search lead me to a Sgt D H Townshend KIA in a 148 squadron Wellington over Crete in 1941 (albeit in a MkII)

I'd love to know the connection between this and the kit....... 

A very nice touch if this is correct.....

Edited by keithjs
Spelling

(albeit in a MkII)

Remember that when Airfix released the first CAD image of this Wellington it was noticed that the mostly hidden port engine was a Merlin, hinting at a MkII release in the future.

Maybe you have just discovered what scheme that one will be released with.

Interesting that the model is made in India. I understood that production had been brought back to the UK. I don't have access to my stash at the moment but I think that the 1/48th Stuka was one that was brought back and that was covered in pin marks. I wonder if the UK supplier got sacked?

Do you mean the roughly triangular windows in the rear fuselage?  If I remember correctly, these are for the Mk III and I'm sure I saw the appropriate blanking plates in a sprue shot somewhere.  Could well mean a Mk III will be along sometime? 

The windows are included in this release, along with the guns and were appropriate for some Mk1C's if the long fuselage windows were covered over, although several had a combination of both! Best check your decals for the correct version as the fuselage code placements are different. 

For anyone who might be interested I built a test shot a few months ago,

Airfix Wellington Mk 1C

I'm also halfway through another Mk1 for the Airfix stand at Telford this year. this time using the kit decals, (which weren't available in time for the test build),

If you're interested in the breakdown here are the kit's basic interior's parts.

2-_DSC_1508.jpg

And with all the detail fitted.

1-_DSC_1538.jpg

Hope this helps,

Cheers :cheers:

Melchie

• Like 3

13 hours ago, keithjs said:

Just got mine today and very nice it is too.. Now then, I'm obviously missing something somewhere, but why is the there a sequence of morse code letters engraved into the inside of the tops of the wings?? If you put the letters together it reads TOWNSHEND. (the other way round it just doesn't make sense) 

A quick google search lead me to a Sgt D H Townshend KIA in a 148 squadron Wellington over Crete in 1941 (albeit in a MkII)

I'd love to know the connection between this and the kit....... 

A very nice touch if this is correct.....

Or it might be the kit designers surname.... who knows....

1 hour ago, snowen250 said:

Or it might be the kit designers surname.... who knows....

Just did a bit more research and you're spot on sir. He's a product designer for Airfix including the 1/24th Typhoon. So one can only assume his 'mark' is on other models too...... 👌