Another tamiya 'bubbletop'

Joss

Thanks for the kind comments everyone! It is keeping me motivated to get this one finished!

So I've painted the top OD coat done some lighting then a mist layer to tie it all back together.

IMG_20180801_084529

I've got abit of tidying up and neatening then on to id bands and invasion stripes!

Thanks for looking

Joss

Edited by Joss
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tbolt said:

Looking really nice. I wish there were more decals for OD Thunderbolt's.

Thanks tbolt. It's a shame really I think the bubbletops looks really good in the OD. And as you say there are very few decals available for ones with OD and good nose art! 

Joss

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Smashing od painting, the variation looks proper good, it'll be a looker this

Glynn 

Thanks Glynn! Im happy with the variation. I was abit worried as I usually to do two highlights but decided to do just one this time and I think its better.

All the best

Joss

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back again with abit more progress :)

got some of the markings masked and painted just got to do the belly invasion stripes

Here's the photos,

IMG_20180810_183601

IMG_20180810_183624

Thanks for looking 

Joss

Edited by Joss
  • Like 8

Cheers stixs getting along with it now!!

All the marking have been painted and now time for the decals

IMG_20180816_160847

IMG_20180816_160919

She's all glossed up now and on the fun part of decals!

More to follow :)

Thanks for looking

Joss

• Like 3

Not many decals on this one the invasion markings, compared to some of the us navy fighters (Eduard hellcat...). The invasion stripes have covered up most of the stencils. I think the tamiya ones arent great very thick compared to the other ones. The amdg ones are very nice then but tough. i like using them a lot!

Anyway here are some pictures.

IMG_20180817_000124

IMG_20180817_000118

IMG_20180817_000103

IMG_20180817_000052

The gloss kills alot of the tonal varitaion in the painting and makes it look dirty even more so around the the cowling, but it should come back with the matt varinsh.

Let me know what you think!

On wards to the weathering and then hopefully finished soon

Joss

• Like 3

12 hours ago, RJ-WobblyHands said:

That is a very nice paint job , good luck with the decals

Thanks Mr RJ, the luck helped as the decals went on well! Just a little crack but nothing major! 

Joss

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great looking Jug :clap2: ... Stupidly I just Realized both of us are doing a 356th F.G. Thunderbolt. Good to see im not the only one that likes the lesser shown units. This really does look great. 

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, I hadn't noticed either! That's what I like about the group builds is that you see a wide range of planes being built.

All the best

Joss

4 hours ago, Hewy said:

Great job joss, i reckon those different tones you got in th od will return with the matt coat too, glad your decals worked ok, 

Glynn 

Thanks hewy! That's what I reckon hopefully it will. They are lovely decals the amdg ones!

All the best

Joss

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Little update, she wallowing at the moment I sprayed the Matt on and it frosted so I've reglossed which worked back to a satinish finish. but I can't bring myself to spray again in abit of a pickle about what to do so she's just sitting waiting...

Joss

23 hours ago, Joss said:

Little update, she wallowing at the moment I sprayed the Matt on and it frosted so I've reglossed which worked back to a satinish finish. but I can't bring myself to spray again in abit of a pickle about what to do so she's just sitting waiting...

Joss

I know what you mean joss, I've had plenty of late in the build disasters  alclad ll clear cote flat, goes on strait out of the bottle, its the most matt finish i know, but its enamel based, not a problem if its all done and dusted