Another tamiya 'bubbletop'

Joss

Hi guys going to build a 1/48 tamiya bubbletop.

Meant to be a nice kit was tempted with Eduard photoset have but don't fancy splashing out plus all the kit detail looks top notch.

Have bought some amdg decals which are in the post.

Going to build this one,

87.jpg

(I just posted the link for the image so hope I'm upsetting anyone copyright wise)

I like colour scheme as it's OD over NMF with the upper wing invasion stripes painted over. So should be good fun with weathering.

There's also a shark mouthed razorback on the sheet so maybe another later...

Look forwards to starting

Joss

• Like 8

Nice choice, I do like OD on a bubbletop.

Being a D-25 the main gear legs were most likely OD not NMF and the magneto block - the part inbetween the turtleback mags ( part G15 ), indicated to be painted X-18 in step 4, needs removing. Once removed I just place a thin piece of plasticard over the mounting point as a blanking plate like the real thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Nice choice, I do like OD on a bubbletop.

Being a D-25 the main gear legs were most likely OD not NMF and the magneto block - the part inbetween the turtleback mags ( part G15 ), indicated to be painted X-18 in step 4, needs removing. Once removed I just place a thin piece of plasticard over the mounting point as a blanking plate like the real thing.

Thanks tbolt I'll do that! Anything else I should look out for?! 

Best regards

Joss

The rear upper fuselage insert is best joined to each fuselage halves before joining them together, that way you can get a perfect join on the panel line. 

The join between the fuselage halves on the forward upper nose is a panel join on the real thing so don't fill it ( apart from the very small bit infront of the windshield which needs filling ). On this and the rear upper fuselage insert I put a light, 45 degree bevel on the edge so these lines match the rest of the kit.

On the oil cooler outlet deflector doors Tamyia has molded 6 raised fasteners, but on the real thing these are countersunk screws and while they are often very slightly raised, in 1/48h scale you wouldn't notice them. I sand them flush and sometimes use a beading tool to add small rings here.

DSC_8608EW

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 2

On 29/06/2018 at 04:35, Tbolt said:

The rear upper fuselage insert is best joined to each fuselage halves before joining them together, that way you can get a perfect join on the panel line. 

The join between the fuselage halves on the forward upper nose is a panel join on the real thing so don't fill it ( apart from the very small bit infront of the windshield which needs filling ). On this and the rear upper fuselage insert I put a light, 45 degree bevel on the edge so these lines match the rest of the kit.

On the oil cooler outlet deflector doors Tamyia has molded 6 raised fasteners, but on the real thing these are countersunk screws and while they are often very slightly raised, in 1/48h scale you wouldn't notice them. I sand them flush and sometimes use a beading tool to add small rings here.

DSC_8608EW

Brilliant thanks! It's little bits of information like these that make a build even more enjoyable so thank you very much!

All the best 

Joss

• Like 1

It is a great kit Joss and I'm sure you'll enjoy making it. Looking forward to seeing it in progress.

Kind regards,

Stix 

On 02/07/2018 at 07:24, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Joss

Good choice enjoy your build

Cheers

Patrice

Good evening Patrice!

Thank you!

Joss

On 02/07/2018 at 18:01, PlaStix said:

It is a great kit Joss and I'm sure you'll enjoy making it. Looking forward to seeing it in progress.

Kind regards,

Stix 

Thanks stix youre one looks the business!

All the best

Joss

Right abit more progress on this 

I've got the cockpit painted up just needs the instrument panel.

IMG_20180704_230024

IMG_20180704_230003

It's not perfect but judging by everyone else's not much will be visible!

No pictures yet but I've got the engine together and added the fillets to the rear fuselage!

More photos soon

Cheers 

Joss

• Like 6

Thanks for the kind comments everyone! Making me very motivated to get this one built! It's a lovely kit so far! 

I do have one question however the seam along the rear fuselage spine is it a panel line or not?

Thanks in advance 

Joss

1 hour ago, Joss said:

Thanks for the kind comments everyone! Making me very motivated to get this one built! It's a lovely kit so far! 

I do have one question however the seam along the rear fuselage spine is it a panel line or not?

Thanks in advance 

Joss

I believe that is correct yes. Also the underside has a couple of longitudinal joins in, check out my pictures in the reference thread of Duxford's P-47 which now hangs from the ceiling.

Also if you haven't noticed the lower cowl has a seam running longitudinally also.

Edited by Tbolt

15 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

I believe that is correct yes. Also the underside has a couple of longitudinal joins in, check out my pictures in the reference thread of Duxford's P-47 which now hangs from the ceiling. 

Also if you haven't noticed the lower cowl has a seam running longitudinal also.

Brilliant thanks tbolt! I didn't want to fill it then find I needed it.

I'm there for the airshow so will have a good look at it and take some snaps!

• Like 1

Kits alot further along now done abit of rivetting as I like how it looks when painted and weathered.

I also removed the part for the engine that tbolt suggested. Here's a few photos just trying to get all the sanding done so the plastc is nice and smooth for the paint.

Here's a few photos

IMG_20180715_002237

IMG_20180715_002307

IMG_20180715_002319

IMG_20180715_002338

IMG_20180715_002549

All the best

Joss

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

I've been making more progress.

I've painted the engine and also paint the nmf for the undersurfaces

I used Vallejo duraluminium (I'm terrible at spelling) and it's really nice when sprayed on a gloss black primer.

I buffed the places where the invasion stripes are going to hopefully help paint adhesion.

Oh and the props on its way with it primed in black and the tips painted.

Wheel wells painted

IMG_20180726_154308

IMG_20180726_170358

IMG_20180726_170404

The photos don't really do it justice even just bit it's a nice bright polished looking shine!

The engine

IMG_20180725_214114

Let me know what you think any comments or suggestions are welcome

Joss

• Like 9