Scratchbuilt 1/144 Avro Bison 1A

43597808345_b8ce5ce24e_n.jpg

I've taken to using very fine brass rod in finer plastic sheet.  Seen here are a set of  (untrimmed) interplane struts and the undercarriage for my Pup.  Granted these are for a 1/48 model they're  0.5mm brass rod  with  0.5mm for the core  and sheeted with 0.2mm plastic sheet, you could probably scale the sizes down to 0.25mm rod (albion alloys do this or at least 0.3mm) and 20 thou/ 10 thou sheet and get a near scale but strong result.

BTW love this build.

Edited by Marklo
added extra stuff
  • Like 1

Good that I found this thread, somewhat by accident! I admit I rather lack the sense of scale for your struttery, but have you thought about steel spring wire? Short lengths (round squares...) are quite rigid even with small gauges. I experimented a bit with it when I was at university and had time to indulge in some „advanced modeling“ attempts. For example, I scratch built Sea Hawk undercarriages from wire in brass tube sleeves (I think...).

Anyway, this is looking great- I certainly wouldn’t have the patience for such a tiny beast. Hope what I sent is helpful in one way or the other. Apart from the Blackburn Squared already mentioned there is also the Dart which is all the equal to Bison and Blackburn with its handsome, gentle lines 🤢😄 Think I have the AvNews drawings of the Dart, too, so if you feel so inclined...

3 hours ago, tempestfan said:

Think I have the AvNews drawings of the Dart, too, so if you feel so inclined...

Please don't go to too much trouble, TF, but if you happen to find the Dart drawings I would love to have a copy.  Maybe I will feel so inclined!  I've never used steel spring wire; it's clearly an option but at least I can put stretched-sprue rod through drilled holes and then sand it flush with the wing.

Marklo: good point about the brass rod pin technique; I decided against pinning simply because the struts would be so small, but as you've managed to do it with a 1/144 Pup I suppose that y argument is a weak one!

Jon

Slowly but surely it's getting there:

20180907_212055

20180907_212017

I think that I've managed to cobble together some decals that will be close enough to allow me to replicate this aircraft:

download

According to the plans that Tempestfan has very generously sent to me, it was N9868 of 423 Flight aboard HMS Hermes in 1926. The plans show a white band on the rear fuselage; it seems to be white in the photo rather than sunlight on the silver finish.  The plans also state that the wheel hubs were white, but it's hard to say for certain from the photo whether they were silver or white. Silver paint next; a Humbrol Polished Aluminium aerosol should do the trick pretty quickly.

Jon

Edited by Jonners
  • Like 4

A bit more painting done:

20180909_160850

Still some bits & pieces to think about, such as a gun mount in the fuselage opening, a suggestion of nose panel lines and, of course, a propellor. Decals might be the next job, though, followed by some simple painting around the exhaust pipes.

20180909_161110

Jon

• Like 5

Well, I've scrabbled through the spare decals and come up with this so far:

20180909_175854

It isn't particularly accurate, and I've ended up with the 2 and the 1 being too far apart, but it's the best I could do with what I had available. The upper wing roundels came from the Revell (ex-Matchbox) 1/72 Hawker Fury, but I had to trim the squadron markings from the roundels which messed up part of the outside edge. I'll live with it. 

20180909_175833

I need to find my black decal stripes so that I can outline the windows, then carry on with the 'fiddly bits' (Seriously? It's ALL fiddly...) mentioned in the last post.

Anyway, that's it for now. Back to the domestic jobs list, and a glass of red.*

Jon

Edited by Jonners
* Or two.
  • Like 8

That is a beauty Jonners - don't know how you find the time  what with hovering over persons in distress and chatting to lost Aussies at Farnborough! I do need to inform you that you left the chaise longe and cocktail cabinet out of the interior!! heh heh! Can't wait to see completion - all power to your arm sir!

1/144 Pup I suppose that y argument is a weak one!

No my Pup is in 1/48. We do have some modellers in our club who favour 1/144 but at  that scale I'd be afraid I'd inhale the thing let alone be actually able to build it :)

Oh and the Bison is turning out absolutely beautifully btw. Starting to wonder if my collection could do with one :)

Edited by Marklo
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

I do need to inform you that you left the chaise longe and cocktail cabinet out of the interior!!

Hah! Don't we know it, HG! No gold taps in this one - Air Harrods it most definitely isn't:

20180427_122620

Nope, that's not the interior of an Avro Bison...

Anyway, getting back on track, the next jobs will be adding a windscreen and what looks to be some kind of sight, finishing the rear gun mount (the gun seems rarely to have been fitted) and finding a suitable propellor from somewhere. My attempts to carve one have resulted in some intriguing shapes, which unfortunately aren't especially propellor-shaped.

20180910_113925

The dimensions are, by the way:

Span =95mm

Length = 75mm

In other words, slightly larger than the average 1/72 WW1 fighter.

Jon

• Like 6

Once again, this has mostly been watching me balefully from the corner of my desk for the last few days while I havs been chasing my tail with real life. 

I've only been able to add some very minor tweaks and the gun mount isn't finished, but here are some quick phone photos in natural light. The simple base is just 9mm ply and is still in primer grey, but will hopefully have a representation of a section of armoured flight deck added.

20180912_105109

20180912_105155

20180912_105215

I found a couple of WW1 props, but they would need trimming to a less 'curvy' shape (not difficult to fix) and turn the wrong way (difficult to fix). Thinking about that one.

I'll finish it one day, honestly...

Jon

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Jonners said:

The simple base is just 9mm ply and is still in primer grey, but will hopefully have a representation of a section of armoured flight deck added.

Not that it makes a lot (any?) difference for modelling purposes but I think Ark Royal was the first British carrier to have an armoured deck.  On previous carriers the deck was just 1" High Tensile steel plate.  But still steel.

I've come across an aerial view of Furious in 1927 (Friedman: British Carrier Aviation, p.94): fairly close-up view of the rear of the flying-off deck and the front of the main landing-on deck.  Might help you for finish, deck markings, etc.  PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you a scan.

34 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

On previous carriers the deck was just 1" High Tensile steel plate.  But still steel.

Copied, Seahawk, thanks; I think I really meant to say "metal deck" - not sure that the nature of the metal would be visible on this base!  I would definitely appreciate any photos showing a period flight deck; I'll send a PM as you suggest.

Jon

• 4 weeks later...

At last, I've been able to find some brief moments to do a little more work on this. Firstly I've carved a tiny prop from a cocktail stick; unfortunately I can't get my smartphone camera to focus on it so no pic yet. I was cheesed off with myself for giving up on hand-carving earlier in the build, so gave it another go with a little more success this time.

The rear gun mount (the gun was, apparently, rarely actually mounted) is simply a bent staple. Basic and lacking in both accuracy and detail, but frankly I'm past caring. (Heretic!)

20181005_082331

The small base as received some attention in the form of a piece of plastic card engraved with what I think represents steel flight deck. It was sprayed with Humbrol 67 then white primer for the lines, followed by light weathering using oil paints. Chocks are tiny bits of cocktail stick, and still need connecting ropes adding:

20181005_082413

Putting it all together:

20181005_082441

Only the prop left to add on the Bison, chock ropes to add and I'm working on a drip tray to put under the engine.

Jon

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Are you going to rig it?

Ha! Very good, Marklo ! That made me smile...

If it was in 1/72 then I definitely would, but as it is 1/144 I definitely won’t!  I’m sure it’s feasible, although 1/144 wires would be extremely thin. Something like EZ Line would look way out of scale and trying to keep sufficient tension on anything to scale thickness (thinness?) would be very tricky.

It’s enough for me that it’s recognisably Bison-shaped. I think.

Jon

• Like 1

Fair enough.  After outings like this-

41633501430_56fc2326d2.jpg

But it did end well (1/72 btw)

43851699692_e71648022a.jpg

Is why I'm moving to 1/48. But there are some masochists on the forum who rig and superdetail 1/144. The wires are .18mm so would be like rope lines in real life. In 1/144 you'd need .001 or the like to be scale.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1