1/48 P-12E Classic airframes

This was a huge challenge to my modelling skills. From modifying each brace to modifying the landing gear struts the challenges abounded.

l1NEtQZ.jpg

The end result was painted with Vallejo Olive drab and Tamiya Rattle can "Camel Yellow" (decanted)

P850G4U.jpg

Used Steel wire rigging and wish I could have done better

SkmlVAu.jpg

Definitely a different concept than a 1/72nd Tamiya P-51.GavjxFS.jpg

Thanks for Looking 

Comments are Welcome

Cheers

Bill

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

I've heard the CA Boeings are very challenging to build. Looks like you've met the challenge with great success. Beautiful modeling and photography!

8 hours ago, Wdedig said:

This was a huge challenge to my modelling skills. From modifying each brace to modifying the landing gear struts the challenges abounded.

Challenges are what make modelling interesting.  They let you take credit for a good build instead of the engineers who designed the mold.  That's a good build.  It came out really well and I like it.

I got a part started one at a show a while back. Maybe one day...

You have got a fantastic result there Bill and have no need to worry about it. Steel wire for rigging is very hard work, I've gone to knitting elastic (AKA EeZee Line) to preserve my sanity.

I like that a lot.

Thank You all for your Positive comments

Adds to the Pleasure of a finished project, even one as challenging as the P-12

Cheers

Bill

Wow! You have nothing to be ashamed of- that is one beautiful model! My favorite 'tween the wars U.S. biplane, too! The Vallejo O.D. looks spot-on for the era. You need to follow this one up with a P-6E or P-26A!

Mike

To make this beautiful build even better- don't forget to paint the red and green nav lights on the wingtips; it looks like they got missed. You could even add the white nav light that was mounted on top of the tin and faced aft. I have attached a link to a photo that shows it. The P-12 in the photo was the personal aircraft assigned to Hap Arnold, according to the caption. Note the roundel on the top wing!

http://www.aerofiles.com/Hap-P12E.jpg

Edited by 72modeler
added link to photo