This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Alex Gordon

Just had this warning from Mozilla.

Posted (edited)

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/end-support-windows-xp-and-vista?as=u&utm_source=inproduct

I am an XP user.I will not be replacing my machine until it breaks,this has a lot to do with being a cheapskate.

How do I stand as a daily user of this website.Am I potentially problematic or a threat to site,and other users,security?

Edited by Alex Gordon
Dyslexic Keyboard.

As one cheapskate to another, I recommend you try Linux Mint (Cinnamon) or something similar. It is very alike to Windows and it's all free. Some versions run quite well on older systems. If you aren't sure, it's possible to load it while you still have XP on the same PC, then you just select which operating system you want to load at the start each time. Which gives you the chance to try it before you commit yourself to the change full time. There is a little to learn, but I've very glad I made the change.

As to being a threat to the site or other users, I'm not sure, but you will almost certainly be running the risk of your security being compromised.

I had a similar warning from Godzilla; they must be related.

It is partly due to the fact that XP is no longer supported and security patches are now longer being issued for it. If you do not want to upgrade, the one of the many Linux flavours would be the way to go. Some will run on on older gear and as Gorby says it is not too difficult to learn. There is a version of Firefox that runs on Linux and so browsing is not that much different. 

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:48 AM, Darby said:

I had a similar warning from Godzilla; they must be related.

But both had warned their Cheese was off.