Fillercaps Spitfire

Schweinebacke

32 minutes ago, Schweinebacke said:

Hello

What is the best way to replicate filler caps that were sanded away or are not there. Thanks

Tom

You could take brass tubing of the correct diameter and twist it gently at the desired location to scribe a circle to represent the cap; you could also use a circle template (drafting supply house) and scribe the filler cap; in the larger scales, you could drill out the opening and cement a plasticard disc, slightly recessed, but that would be very, very hard to do, I would think, without the little buggar falling into the opening and being lost!  In 1/72 scale, I use a circle template and scribing tool.

Mike

My method requires some drilling and 2-part putty.

22935832375_8dd1dd75e5_b.jpg

After sanding the fuselage seams, drill out the fuel cap location.  Then from underneath, push up a ball of putty.  With the same size drill bit and it's flat end, you can then tamp down from atop to achieve a flat surface for the fuel cap.  You can further detail the cap as the putty has about a 2 hour working time.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

JackG,

Oh, I do like this! Hadn't thought of this method, but where you can get to the opening from underneath like in your example, that's the bee's knees! Thanks for the tip!

Mike