Wolfpack P-47 Bubbletop --*** Finished ***--

Looking very good.  :coolio:

Yet another interior colour I notice, this is very confusing for a Trackhead like me!  Your cockpit tub looks very impressive (and very precisely fitting), I think this is probably was what Italeri were trying to do, but they failed.....Dismally.  :unsure:

PS - I note you've painted the area under the closed canopy 'Interior Green'.....Is this normal for a bubbletop or does it vary between aircraft?  :shrug:

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Looking very good.  :coolio:

Yet another interior colour I notice, this is very confusing for a Trackhead like me!  Your cockpit tub looks very impressive (and very precisely fitting), I think this is probably was what Italeri were trying to do, but they failed.....Dismally.  :unsure:

PS - I note you've painted the area under the closed canopy 'Interior Green'.....Is this normal for a bubbletop or does it vary between aircraft?  :shrug:

There was only four colours used in the cockpit throughout the P-47's life, though we don't actually know when most of the changes of colour occurred, simple really ;)

• Confused 1

The weekend update - it was time again to pull out the Hairy sticks ... though these were 3 inch and 1.5 inch in size and the paint of choice was White Gloss, yup I was outside painting doors and the porch , the real fun jobs.

Time was made to relax and break out the airbrush (never thought airbrush cleaning as relaxing!). 

All primed - the 1st time I have used Ultimate's Primer , ooh it is awesome, compared to the Vallejo offering , and doesn't smell like the Tamiya rattle can primer (the other option to decant it and airbrush).

G3xd166.jpg

CkbpeY4.jpg 

And finally 

A lighter grey underside compared to the uppersides, these planes were delivered NMF and painted with what was available at Boxted, these look close enough to my eyes ! 

kHm2akO.jpg

FRCT2UC.jpg

Next tasks Red band on Cowling , Yellow Tail , Dark Green Camo pattern and lower invasion stripes (not full bands)

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 5

So my freehand attempts at the funky camo pattern on piece of plasticard were not to achieving the look I wanted so it was time for some tape therapy !

This is the outcome of a couple of evenings of 'therapy' , when it cools down this evening I will crack open the airbrush and apply some light thinned coats of RAF Dark Green

0WEjXRP.jpg

GjBawG7.jpg

LqJmruQ.jpg

• Like 8

Looking foward to seeing this when the tape comes off. However It might have been a bit easier and less expensive if you had used blutac worms ? I did a similar pattern on my Stuka build and used blutac. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

I tried blutac worms, but did not get some of the smaller curves ,  its only a 1/72nd kit so I did not use much tape ... think it cost more in paracetamol .. it was slighty eye straining and headache generating fun !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's the problem with blu-tack it's great for lazy curve but becomes hard to produce little sharp bits in camo. I'm thinking of getting an airbrush with a finer nozzle so i can produce this sort of camo and some of those Italian schemes.

Its time for the reveal !   I will take that as a representation of 'Hairless Joes' Camo Pattern , its never going to be exact but I like it :)

I would not have attempted that amount of tape if I had used the Vallejo Primer I had been using on my previous couple of models! 

GmB38EY.jpg

ARjEsJC.jpg

shzMNb4.jpg

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 6

Lower invasion stripes added - Lt Col Schilling returned from leave in July  (Missing D-Day) so this bird never had full invasion stripes.  Closed canopy on this model so that is now added and masked ready for a little paint and then the gloss coat before decals.  

I will get better photos after putting the gloss coat on ! 

t1Pf5CT.jpg

kjLcQhN.jpg

• Like 8

A great battle was fought over the weekend - not a fight I think I will venture into again (Print Scale Decals) ... somehow the fight ended up in stalemate and decals were applied !

Outcome is shown below - posting these before the Gloss Coat melts everything into oblivion 😲

t5TXxBn.jpg

lnE58kE.jpg

• Like 4

• RJ-WobblyHands changed the title to Wolfpack P-47 Bubbletop --*** Finished ***--

I am marking this little bird as finished  - otherwise I will break something off or ruin the paint job !

After sealing the decals with a gloss coat , it was time to try another new technique - a pastel sludge wash  for the panel lines and a little dirt  , followed by a final coat of Vallejo Satin Varnish to seal everything.

The final step was adding all the little pieces - a little lullaby to send the carpet monster to sleep first so that nothing was lost !  This completes my 3rd model after my 30 year absence from plastic.

As always comments and advice is always helpful :).

wWNo8R3.jpg

DfvocGq.jpg

KMe1T4e.jpg

and finally with my 2 previous builds.

J3Byg1e.jpg

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 4

Very nice 😁

I wasn't sure about the camo scheme when it was in the gloss stage, but in the satin it looks superb, all that masking has paid off, weathering is nice and subtle as well, top marks

I know the canopy framing was silver on the original, but it looks out of place, wonder why they left it like that and didn't carry the camo over on to it 🤔