Wolfpack P-47 Bubbletop --*** Finished ***--

So rather than the Tamiya 1/72 Razorback I thought I would build when I signed up for this STGB , its morphed into a Tamyia P-47d Bubbletop after todays visit to my local LMS which also resulted in the purchase of 3 spitfire kits (Eduard 1/72 Longest day duo and Tamiya 1/72 Vb - I was very restrained , though I believe my wife has ordered something large and very nice for me as an anniversary present ,which could result in me signing up for the grumann STGB ;) )

This build will add another 1st for me , I have ordered the Eduard PE 'Zoom' set and I will fight the Printscale Decals .

This bird will be  Col David Schilling's P-47D-25-RA , he was commander of 62nd FS , then Executive Officer of 56th Fighter Group part of the famous Zemke's Wolfpack , he flew 132 combat missions in two combat tours with the 56th ,  He received this aircraft in mid May 1944 .

Photos uploaded soon :)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Good choice R-J,North East model centre your LMS by any chance?

Certainly is (now I have found it lol) it’s a real gem and only a few miles away.. 😀

6 hours ago, RJ-WobblyHands said:

Certainly is (now I have found it lol) it’s a real gem and only a few miles away.. 😀

Yes,I worship there quite a lot just a mile down the road I was gutted a few year's back when they shut shop and emigrated but It didn't work out

and they returned and re-opened.

16 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Yes,I worship there quite a lot

Nice pun :) - I am a fully fledged follower of the plastic sprue and will be worshipping there ! :) 

If they had a coffee shop in the crypt - I could spend even longer in there !

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RJ-WobblyHands said:

Nice pun :) - I am a fully fledged follower of the plastic sprue and will be worshipping there ! :) 

If they had a coffee shop in the crypt - I could spend even longer in there !

Don't know if you remember but when they first opened they were in the basement a tiny little place no window's at all,they moved up into the

chapel  a few year's later,they are expanding back downstairs again soon.

Back home from a weekend break to Scotland (over our wedding anniversary), now is the time to start my entry in this STGB. The other 1st I forgot to mention is this will be the 1st Tamiya kit I have built in 30 years (the previous 2.5 after returning to this hobby have been airfix) . Here we go, starting with the kit - the lovely Tamiya 1/72nd Bubbletop , Eduard 'Zoom' Set and as in 1st post the decals for Col David Schilling's P-47D-25-RA  62nd FS 56th FG based at RAF Boxted

The Kit and 'extras' - the PE looks fun ;)

fB9KHkE.jpg

51j6Aw0.jpg?1

What a lovely set of sprues the base detail looks excellent !

c3ygTgB.jpg?1

Tomorrow I start  ... what is USAF interior green ! - not X-5 as the instructions says lol :P   (please please this is not a discussion topic hahaha) !

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RJ-WobblyHands said:

replying to my own question ! - I should have known Republic used a Dull Dark Green for their interiors so XF-5 will work , with a little wash and dry brushing :) 

At some point yes they switched to DDG, though I have found no info of when this happened. They started out using ZC (yellow) then switched to tinted ZC and then DDG, but I don't know when any of these changes occurred. I've seen aircraft up to the D-5 painted ZC and a D-27 painted in DDG so until further info appears I would go for DDG for a D-25 or later.

ordered some magnifying glasses - 1/72nd PE in my  big hands - OMG I cannot see half the parts LOL , going to start the other sub assemblies 1st  engine / wings 

On 05/07/2018 at 19:44, Hewy said:

It looks like the 56th is very well represented in this gb, 

We are building the whole Wolfpack  ! :)   , the 56th FG is in my current build theme (US FG/BG's stationed in Essex during WWII) , they were transferred to RAF Boxted (near Colchester)  on 19th April 1944 from RAF Halesworth. Hence my build being Col David Schilling's  p-47d-25-RA  bubbletop which was one of the 1st batch delivered to the 56th -  Zemke and Gabreski  also flew  25-RA's that were delivered in late May 44 - this means I can paint with or without invasion stripes , and light weathering since it would only have flown a handful of missions.

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RJ-WobblyHands said:

ordered some magnifying glasses - 1/72nd PE in my  big hands - OMG I cannot see half the parts LOL , going to start the other sub assemblies 1st  engine / wings 

We are building the whole Wolfpack  ! :)   , the 56th FG is in my current build theme (US FG/BG's stationed in Essex during WWII) , they were transferred to RAF Boxted (near Colchester)  on 19th April 1944 from RAF Halesworth. Hence my build being Col David Schilling's  p-47d-25-RA  bubbletop which was one of the 1st batch delivered to the 56th -  Zemke and Gabreski  also flew  25-RA's that were delivered in late May 44 - this means I can paint with or without invasion stripes , and light weathering since it would only have flown a handful of missions.

Apparently gabreski, flew the silverladey a few times too and achieved 4 kills while flying  in her 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RJ-WobblyHands said:

I bought some a couple of years ago and there are one of the best things I bought. I wear them 90% of the time while modelling now, it makes detail work so much easier.

This weeks update - apart from being too hot to be stuck in the house and the World Cup ,some sprue painting and the 1st forays into using PE sets - occurred this weekend 

6sujd2l.jpg

O5vVQTn.jpg

TguOjNp.jpg

DdHmxYO.jpg

9P9McWB.jpg

• Like 5

Good start.

Am I the only one who removes parts from sprues before painting? Most people in this GB seem to paint on the sprues. I'm always worried I'll mess up my paint work removing and cleaning up the part.

43 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

Good start.

Am I the only one who removes parts from sprues before painting? Most people in this GB seem to paint on the sprues. I'm always worried I'll mess up my paint work removing and cleaning up the part.

I am always wary that the carpet monster , my bear paws or the poltergiest that seems to inhabit my office / modelling room will lose small parts so yes I tend to paint the cockpit and some interior parts still on the sprue 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tbolt said:

Am I the only one who removes parts from sprues before painting? Most people in this GB seem to paint on the sprues.

I dont usually paint on the sprue. i find the glue eats the paint, when i try to attach things that are pre-painted like that. 

Last night I was able to tinker with some more of the PE and dry fitting the cockpit walls together 

EWiYO96.jpg

WhCOele.jpg

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
helps if links are included :)
  • Like 7

Got to spend some more time on this little bird 

Cockpit finished and a dry fit test in the fuselage , starting to look like an P-47D now :) . Eventhough you lose nearly all visibilty to most of the pit details - I know they are there and what fun I had with the PE parts.

SR9y6AL.jpg

X6Ljbhq.jpg 

xpnF6By.jpg

FjgGqfY.jpg

6prc6kd.jpg

• Like 4

Very nice RJ 😀

The cockpit is lovely, I never spend that much time on them as some as like you say, you can't see most of it with the canopy on

I always start off with good intentions then realise my eyes are getting older and a lot of the PE gets pinged far far away with the tweezers never to be found and I lose my mojo and hurry to finish it

Fair play for sticking with it though :) 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Redstaff said:

Very nice RJ 😀

The cockpit is lovely, I never spend that much time on them as some as like you say, you can't see most of it with the canopy on

I always start off with good intentions then realise my eyes are getting older and a lot of the PE gets pinged far far away with the tweezers never to be found and I lose my mojo and hurry to finish it

Fair play for sticking with it though :) 

Thank you , my 1st (and last time)  with full PE in 1/72nd cockpits - seatbelts look great but 99% of everything else disappears - if and when I have a bash at a 1/48 or  1/32nd something , I think after market additions really will help pull out detail.

• Like 1

Not much happened over the weekend - it was too hot ! 

Some more research though most already done for me - 'Hairless Joe' is one of the most researched Wolf Pack P-47D-25's  :) , interesting thought do an early post crash build  - NMF port wing with 'Early' Camo ( light grey undersides , medium grey , dark green uppers)  pattern (or as close as I can get lol

Just buttoned up the fuselage and added wings / tailplane ,  the joy of a Tamiya kit it just fell together !

27oobBv.jpg

nfhqdPI.jpg

gOWfm4L.jpg?1

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 4