Canadair CL-44 stretch vs. Britannia

13 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

Please keep us posted with anything more you hear - I'm definitely interested in an Argus!

Will do.

Clearly the Argus would be a real first...👌

XVTonker

• 1 month later...

CL-44D and the Britannia.

The CL-44D is longer, as most people know, but one reason is the engine nacelles are longer too, and effectively the wing was moved back to account for the  length of the nacelles.

The cockpit change was to meet bird strike requirements and although the design is not the Convair 880/990 it is similar, as it was taken from that design, as Canadair was part of General Dynamics, and some of the changes came from GD. This was done to meet possible use by the USAF, as was originally proposed.

One thing to know if you decide to convert the Britannia into a CL-44D is the cockpit change required a very slight, almost unnoticeable break in the curve of the upper profile of the fuselage. The early CL-44-6 had what was essentially the same cockpit enclosure as the Britannia, and if you superimpose the CL-44D cockpit on it, you will see the cockpit fits over the CL-44-6 canopy shape. If you look carefully at photos of the CL-44D cockpit you will see a fairly complicated fairing of the cockpit windows into the original early cockpit. This was probably done to keep the basic structure of the pressurized cockpit intact. All the models I’ve seen of the CL-44D do not show the break in the top profile, but if you look at a good large photo it is apparent.

Why do I know this? I have a full set of the CL-44D manuals, both flight and maintenance. They were sent to me from a former Flying Tiger mechanic. These manuals give many dimensions and lots of detailed drawings of parts of the plane. I also contacted Bombardier, and they kindly called me in California to answer some questions on the Swing Tail; Very nice people. Unfortunately they have no historical documents on aircraft that old. The Smithsonian does have quite a bit of material on the CL-44D, but I'm in no position to pay the research fees, right now. If I win the Lotto, that will be one of the first things I'll do. ;-)

I wish I had access to the “Guppy” in the UK, as I would like to be able to take dimensions off of an actual plane. The wings, and forward cockpit are still pretty much original, and it would be a joy to get the actual details of the nacelles and cockpit. A good drawing or photos of the wing tip would also  be of help.

Now it is possible to make a pretty good model based on existing photos, and drawings, but I had wanted to make a set of good scale drawings of the plane, as none really exist.

I want to make a 1/72 model of the plane, and am working on a very large R/C slope soaring version out of foam and balsa. It will be in Tiger colors.

Anyone interested in the CL-44D let me know.

Tim

Auburn, California

• Like 3

I was chatting with Neil Gaunt of AIM just last week and he mentioned he was doing this conversion set. I have already bought his Argonaut conversion for the Revell DC 4 and that is very good.. hope to finish my model in the next couple of months when I get back to my workbench in Australia.. he is also working on a DC-7C conversion set for me to modify the the Heller Dc-6B..happy days!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wallyinoz said:

I was chatting with Neil Gaunt of AIM just last week and he mentioned he was doing this conversion set. I have already bought his Argonaut conversion for the Revell DC 4 and that is very good.. hope to finish my model in the next couple of months when I get back to my workbench in Australia.. he is also working on a DC-7C conversion set for me to modify the the Heller Dc-6B..happy days!

Bless his little cotton socks! The DC-7C conversion will be streets ahead of the Contrails one - a valiant attempt, but lots and lots of hard work grinding down superfluous resin!

• Like 1

How good is the Brit. kit? I haven't found a review but talked to one guy today who has one and said the wings were horrible, bottom being to short front to back. He also said it cost him about $200 Cdn. Had a couple of other things he didn't lke but forget them now.

It's a Mach 2 kit ...

That said, it's better than some of Mach 2's earlier efforts. There are problems with the wingtips, but Neil is doing a correction set to address that. The positive is that it's the only 1:72 injection moulded Brit. you're likely to get, and there's nothing in the box that I've seen that isn't capable of being put right.

5 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

It's a Mach 2 kit ...

That said, it's better than some of Mach 2's earlier efforts. There are problems with the wingtips, but Neil is doing a correction set to address that. The positive is that it's the only 1:72 injection moulded Brit. you're likely to get, and there's nothing in the box that I've seen that isn't capable of being put right.

good, by the time I get one all theh bugs will be out of it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2018 at 12:31 AM, busnproplinerfan said:

How good is the Brit. kit? I haven't found a review but talked to one guy today who has one and said the wings were horrible, bottom being to short front to back. He also said it cost him about $200 Cdn. Had a couple of other things he didn't lke but forget them now.

I’m somewhat surprised at your colleague’s comment. I spent a lot of time measuring the Mach2 Britannia with a friend who wants to convert to an Argus, and I’ve come to the conclusion that the kit is basically accurate representation of a Britannia 300, given the missing length can be fixed. We used wing station diagrams and dimensioned General Arrangement drawings from Canadair.

as for price, I have 2 kits, and paid approximately $80 CAD for them.

Edited by Tony Whittingham
Remove extra quotes

3 hours ago, Tony Whittingham said:

I’m somewhat surprised at your colleague’s comment. I spent a lot of time measuring the Mach2 Britannia with a friend who wants to convert to an Argus, and I’ve come to the conclusion that the kit is basically accurate representation of a Britannia 300, given the missing length can be fixed. We used wing station diagrams and dimensioned General Arrangement drawings from Canadair.

as for price, I have 2 kits, and paid approximately $80 CAD for them.

$80 for two, wow that's not bad. Where did you get yours through? I could only take him on his comment since I haven't seen the kit. Maybe he had a bad one? You said you looked it over good, I'll take your review as a good one.

12 hours ago, Tony Whittingham said:

Hello busnproplinerfan,

just some clarification. The price was per Britannia, sorry to ruin your day. Aviation World in Toronto had them, but they keep selling out!

TW

Ok, I've come back down now. Kinda figured something was missed. Guess Mach 2 found a goldmine.