RNZAF Strikemaster ++FINISHED++

IanHx

This kit has been sitting on the shelf a bit... hmm, wonder if I can bag two group builds with 1 entry ?  :devil:   [ assuming the answer is a resounding 'no' , so choosing this one as it has longer dates ! ]

Here's the obligatory "look ma, it ain't started" shot :

IMG_20180626_072159130

Edited by IanHx
subject change
  • Like 7

Ian,

Glad to see you took my encouragement, the JP.5/Strikemaster is a nice kit too.

Good luck with your efforts!

The more surprising thing is that the Kiwis stopped flying theirs. Lovely jets and a very good early Airfix kit. 

Looking forward to seeing this done. 

Colin 

On 6/29/2018 at 8:48 PM, Colin W said:

The more surprising thing is that the Kiwis stopped flying theirs. Lovely jets and a very good early Airfix kit. 

Looking forward to seeing this done. 

Colin 

They were pretty antiquated when we got rid of them. Especially for guys transitioning to the Kahu'd A-4.  Plus the wings had cracks which g limited most jets

Quite a few of the ex RNZAF Blunties are still flying in the USA with Attack Aviation Foundation in Las Vegas  

Edited by Calum
  • Like 4

Slow progress due to being distracted by  a certain sporting event.  Worked out that the 4 mysterious lumps under the instrument panel were the pilots' feet....

• Like 2

Know what you mean, they may be in a place where nobody will ever see them, but it's nice to know that they are there 😁

Really I often find myself in the same situation, painting small details and then finding out that they are completely invisible once the model is assembled. Still, as modellers we sometime do things because we feel, even if they are useless...

• Like 1

New & exclusive from "Whatthehell" toys  :     "Pin the light on the Bluntie"

Not fun for all the family !

Use tweezers to insert the impossibly small light into a slightly too small hole !

Comes with free game "Carpet Monster Pingaroo !"   

IMG_20180722_081944904

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Da-dum...... da-dum....

With older kits you can expect a bit of flash. What you might not expect is whole dorsal fin.....   behold the Great White Bluntie in all its blurry glory...

IMG_20180722_104819013

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 8/1/2018 at 4:29 PM, IanHx said:

Just finished adding more liquid gravity to the nose via the front undercarriage hole.... 1 pellet at a time....:wall:

... but it was worth it -  not a tail-sitter !!

IMG_20180804_120855425

• Like 4

I feel your satisfaction ! Keeping a model of something like a Provost on all gear legs means adding a lot of weight, with so much plastic behind the main landing gear it's easy to add less weight than required. At least the Provost has a solid nose, I have horrible memories of trying to cram weight into a B-26 forward fuselage and failing miserably....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Slow progress ( was side-tracked with the 60s GB) ,  currently painting the cammo scheme with hairy stick and deliberating over loadouts. Currently thinking drop tanks on the outer pylon, and bombs on the inner pylon, but haven't  found many pictures to back this up.

• Like 1

Unfortunately it's not easy to find pictures of aircraft with a proper load when the type has never seen combat. The only load I've seen in pictures of RNZAF Strikemasters was either 2 tanks or 2 practice rocket pods.

Looking forward to the painted model !

• Like 1

On 9/10/2018 at 8:29 PM, Giorgio N said:

Unfortunately it's not easy to find pictures of aircraft with a proper load when the type has never seen combat. The only load I've seen in pictures of RNZAF Strikemasters was either 2 tanks or 2 practice rocket pods.

Looking forward to the painted model !

This B/W photo from the Paris Airshow shows the tanks outer and inner pylon

could carry rockets or bombs

RNZAF Strikemaster Paris Airshow

RNZAF Strikemaster with outer tanks and pods in board

RNZAF Strikemaster with tanks and rocket pods

RNZAF Strikemaster with what appears to be practice bomb bomb pods inboard

RNZAF Strikemaster with outer tanks and stores inboard

Bear in mind, even though the type didn't fire a shot in anger, it didn't mean the crews didn't

practice dropping munitions.

The RNZAF has a live bombing range on the Kiapara Coast here in New Zealand, or when

New Zealand participated in Joint exercises with Australia/US as in this photo link below

ANZUS Exercise

Regards

Alan

• Like 2