Mark's 1/48 Tamiya 'Bubbletop' - COMPLETED

MarkSH

Evening all,

A little more progress on the Thunderbolt;

Those that have followed any of my builds in the past and in particular the Beaufighter from the BM10th GB and the Seahawk from the Hawker GB know just how much I hate decals I always seem to encounter some kind of disaster normally self induced! so this time I took exacting steps to make sure that everything was prepped correctly, clean and sealed and took my time and more importantly made sure I kept reciting the "be patient you tw*t!" mantra and to a certain extent it worked the only problem was the MicroSol reacting with the previously aluminium painted cowl flaps which subsequently had to be redone, but I'm not counting that as a decaling issue. Anyway I am relieved to have got that part of the build out of the way.

42561534190_afc47bc2ab_b.jpg

I have attached and set the wings and similarly the tail planes after giving them the same texturing as the main planes. As you can see I have departed from the instruction sequence and fitted the oil cooler bulkhead part to the engine cowling assembly rather than to the fuselage, I thought this might give me somewhere to stick an improvised handle for when I start to airbrush and saves any masking.

44321004852_9e651b0b56_b.jpg

I tried to get some quality images of the 'oil canning' as @Hewy described it but its proving a little difficult which suggests I may have underdone it but that's better that going overboard. I have also run a scalpel blade around the panel lines lifting some of the corners and creating some high spots here and there.

42561534690_5a25f30805_b.jpg

42561535070_b8f794b3bc_b.jpg

I'm going to finish off the Olive Drab top section (Which showed up some seams that required a tiny bit of filler) and then mask and fit the canopy and windshield and finally mask off the olive drab and set to work on the primer and NMF.

Getting there,

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

Have had a day waiting around for a new washing machine to be delivered so what else could I do?.....well lots of things so my Wife reckoned! anyway I set about priming the Jug and various other components. The canopy is just tacked in place with masking fluid. I'll let the primer cure for a while give it a buff up and apply some Aluminium.

44587219752_d1957f372c_b.jpg

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 2

A flurry of activity today, with time ebbing away I felt I had to strike whist the iron was hot so a quick buff up of the black primer and straight on with the NMF I used Vallejo metal colour Aluminium sprayed and then hand painted in some panels with the same darkened just a touch with Dark Aluminium. Overall I'm quite pleased with the finish, but I'm glad I painted the Olive drab first and masked that rather than the other way round as the Vallejo is very delicate and until I get some Klear on it I'm treating it with kid gloves! The skin deformations have worked to a certain degree but the process needs refining and next time I do it I'll be a bit more exacting with the polishing out, The lifted edges of the panels lines however has worked really well and now and then one catches the light and looks quite effective.

44640572291_481b618a12_b.jpg

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 8

Afternoon all,

Been in a bit of a scratching mood this weekend, so I had a go at making the LIFT, BOMB, M1 complete with Field mod packing case bomb support:

44000364904_fbe2fbd581_c.jpg

42908721090_b6c92b5747_c.jpg

Jeez, as if I didn't have enough to do, anyway it'll add some interest to the display....assuming I finish it!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 6

Evening all,

Decaling underway and of course the only one I've had any trouble with is arguably the most prominent one! most have been ok other than being determinedly unresponsive to Micro Sol causing me to switch to Mr. Softer which is a bit more aggressive and it certainly was on the wing top star and bar!! never mind I should be able to touch it up.

29933615787_3656728a26_c.jpg

29933615287_3451f98def_c.jpg

Lots of stencils to apply now.

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 7

Evening all,

At last the jug has legs, most of the of decaling has been done, just the final bits of painting, some details to attach and a decision on how to seal the thing I'm in particular thinking of the NMF. I'm erring on the side of just applying a last top coat of Klear for the NMF and acrylic matt varnish for the olive drab, (I don't think matt all over will work). Also a final light weathering to apply.

29997078037_4e0bd8dd35_b.jpg

I might even make the deadline!

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 5

• MarkSH changed the title to Mark's 1/48 Tamiya 'Bubbletop' - COMPLETED

Thanks for the comments chaps, I really enjoyed doing the base @PlaStix nice and messy and a first time at using scatter, although my Wife says it needs a flower border and a Hedgehog!? :mental:…….anyway it'll be making a re-appearance when my 'Airfix the golden years' GB Mossie is complete.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1