Upper wing roundel sizes for Martinet and Reliant

Seahawk

As per title: does anyone know the outer diameter in inches of the upper wing roundels on British Martinets and Stinson Reliants please?  The types seem to be missing from the excellent list I have from an old Modeldecal sheet.

Thanks in advance.

Hmm.  I seem to have defeated the combined wit and wisdom of the entire BM member ship with this one.

Let's come at this from a different direction.  The diameter of WW2 uppersurface roundels was specified as equating to the maximum wing chord at 2/3 wing span allowing a 1" clearance between the leading edge and ailerons.  Using that guidance, the wing of a Magna Martinet and the photo of an 722 Sq EIF Martinet on p.42 of Sturtivant's FAA Squadrons (2nd ed), I conclude that the diameter of the (or that) Martinet's wing roundel was about 45".

Unfortunately I do not have a Reliant kit in any scale.  Could someone please tell me what dimensions the above formula throws up when applied to a Reliant wing.  I am happy to take raw dimensions off the kit,regardless of scale and in inches or millimetres.

Many thanks for your help.

Here is a Wikipedia  link to W8825, a Master sporting upper wing roundels in two different sizes.  One can speculate as to the reason - a shift in standards or perhaps damage repair - but it would make an interesting model.

Edit:  I also see a non-standard A1 on the fuselage.

Aircraft_of_the_Royal_Air_Force_1939-194

Edited by RJP
typo
  • Like 2

Very interesting.  Could believe that the smaller roundel is 32" as per the Modeldecal instruction sheet but the other looks like the 45" roundel on the EIF aircraft I referred to.

Any Stinson Reliant fans out there?

On 7/4/2018 at 2:35 PM, RJP said:

Edit:  I also see a non-standard A1 on the fuselage.

That‘s rather more a D1...

I have some rather old Skrzydlata Polska book about aircraft used by the Polish AF in WW II at home, containing a host of camouflage drawings, IIRC some with measurements. Master should feature in there - I‘ll have a look if I find the time this evening.

• Like 1

Had a look - no Reliants, but there are some sideviews of Master III and Martinet.  Plus a scrap outer wing including the roundel, but I‘ll have to work out to which it belongs, as there are several other types shown in profile but only one wing. Stay tuned...

• Like 1

Thank you.  I think it does.  It appears to be a genuine period shot of a FAA Reliant and it shows that the official instruction about 1" clearance from leading edge and aileron was not followed.  From comparison with the known 36" size of the C1 roundel I reckon it's 40", the same size as stipulated for other aircraft like the Harvard and Kingfisher.  But counter-opinions very welcome.