Sword 1/72nd RF-84F Thunderflash

Wez

46 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I have to agree with that.  Sword gets a very big :thumbsup: from me.

Yes, they are really listening to what is asked for! Now, let's see if a new MIG-21UM comes along ;)

Martin

Back to the 'Flash.... My second will be Greek, new build of "37682" that I saw flying at Hellenikon in 1982. I have the Icarus set ready to go! :)

It looks like my current build programme is remaining Republic!

Martin  

On 29 June 2018 at 1:20 PM, RidgeRunner said:

Me too!!!!!! The Italeri is really not worth the bother!

I have to say, though, that the Italeri scores over the Airfix in terms of refinement. It is such a pity the cockpit area looks like it has been "having it large" at the famous Golden Arches restaurant! ;)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

By the way, thanks to the measurements of Michael aka KRK4m in this branch:

we can easily find out whether the model of the Sword of original design or some model was taken as the basis of the Sword. We can also check the geometric parameters of the Sword model for compliance with the original.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:11 AM, RidgeRunner said:

I have to say, though, that the Italeri scores over the Airfix in terms of refinement. It is such a pity the cockpit area looks like it has been "having it large" at the famous Golden Arches restaurant! ;)

Martin

Agree with you , especially in the nose air intake. Airfix is too squarish IIRC. At that time we used to "cannibalize" the two kits. Italaerei nose + Airfix for the rest .

Madcop.

Yes mate, I did the same. To address the width issues around the “office” i reduced  the material at the join ahead of the canopy. Then I used the Airfix canopy set which is more appropriate, although still not perfect ;)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

So how far in to a further F-84F build do I have to get before Sword announce one? ;)

Martin

I think about the second that you finish it.

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

So how far in to a further F-84F build do I have to get before Sword announce one? ;)

Martin

37 minutes ago, Jabba said:

I think about the second that you finish it.

Martin,

I agree with Jabba, so if you could be so kind as to crack on with it, I and many others would be very grateful thanks! :thumbsup:

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Wez said:

Martin,

I agree with Jabba, so if you could be so kind as to crack on with it, I and many others would be very grateful thanks! :thumbsup:

I’d better get on with it then! ;)

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have one on order and I'm not showing any inclination to cancel.

The parabrake housing looks rather chunky but that could merely be a trick of the light etc.

Looks like a fairly standard Sword moulding to me.  That's a good thing, by the way.  Sword kits are never going to be of the same standard as Edacatamigawafix and will always need careful assembly and a few modelling skills, but I like 'em.  I like the looks of this one.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ivand said:

the canopy seems pretty wide, it reminds me of the Italeri one

I can't really tell from that photo...

On 6/29/2018 at 5:22 PM, RidgeRunner said:

Yes, they are really listening to what is asked for! Now, let's see if a new MIG-21UM comes along ;)

Martin

Here you are the RV's kit! :D

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 11:06 PM, Aardvark said:

I don't know! It's my assumption.

But I have M.D.450 Ouragan from Heller & Sword, F-101A from Sword & RF-101C from Hasegawa, F3D from Sword & Matchbox, my friend have F2H Banshee from Sword & Airfix....let's say, the similarity of many details, structural and technological solutions leads to certain conclusions about where the original, and where remastered.

When did Sword do a F-101? Aren't you confusing it with the Valom kit? I have the Cougar kits, recently built the Hasegawa, and they are completely different beasts and not just because one is a single seater and the other a two-seater.

I've built a few Sword kits and they are excellent. Great detailing. Not shake and bake, especially their earlier kits, but you get good results.

Very happy with this release.

On 26 July 2018 at 3:35 PM, sroubos said:

When did Sword do a F-101? Aren't you confusing it with the Valom kit? I have the Cougar kits, recently built the Hasegawa, and they are completely different beasts and not just because one is a single seater and the other a two-seater.

I've built a few Sword kits and they are excellent. Great detailing. Not shake and bake, especially their earlier kits, but you get good results.

Very happy with this release.

I agree. I have built the F-80 and have the RT-33A to build. They easily match some of the more mainstream manufacturers. I'm eager to get this new box of plastic in my pile! The Ouragan (Valom not Sword) is also a good kit, apart from the riveting. 

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

after reading the posts this new kit, my point of concern was the with of the windshield / canopy. I'm able to modify a lot but transparencies are not my field of excellence. When looking at post # 62 you see a round disc in the sprues where the hot plastic is pressed into the mould. Given that Sword has not changed their moulding machines lately, I suspect this disc has always the same diameter. After checking several recent Sword kits, this disc has a diameter of 12mm. Scaling this to the windshield in the same picture, the width of the windshield is 11.1mm which corresponds well against the 11.4mm reported elsewhere on Britmodeller.

This is indication enough for me to buy a copy, as the remaining parts look Ok to me and the bare metal norwegian aircraft from Vingtor decal will be a real challenge ....

Regards,

Martin

Edited by MVW
correcting writing errors
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2018 at 5:58 AM, Aardvark said:

we can easily find out whether the model of the Sword of original design or some model was taken as the basis of the Sword.

"We"? 

I hesitate to disillusion your prolonged negativity:deadhorse:, but there may not be as many people as you think who are as obsessed as you are with the mold design "origins". 

I, for one,  really (!) rejoice in Sword's producing all these early-jet gems. Hallelujah.

Gene K

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MVW said:

This is indication enough for me to buy a copy, as the remaining parts look Ok to me and the bare metal norwegian aircraft from Vingtor decal will be a real challenge ....

For me too, and likewise my Vingtor NMF decals are sat in the files ready for application! :)

Martin