Sword 1/72nd RF-84F Thunderflash

Wez

In spite of searching in this forum (I did honest)! I can't find any mention of Sword bringing out 2 boxings of the RF-84F Thunderflash in 1/72nd, but the BigH are showing the two options:

Italy, Belgium, USAF and Netherlands

Germany, France, USAF and Norway

All I can say is YEEHAH!

I'll have to give these a try, hopefully they'll follow them up with the F-84F Thunderstreak, fingers crossed!

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

YES! Another Suez grail kit for me.

I'm just pleased a much overlooked, NATO stalwart is getting a modern uplift.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

Redesign Italery with inside panel line, colour photoetced and a little bit resin parts? Thanks, but in that case, I'd rather wait for this model from another manufacturer, not from the Sword. In the end, in my closet with models lies the good old F-84F from Airfix with Microscale decals on atomic Thunderstreak.

B)

B.R.

Serge

5 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

Redesign Italery with inside panel line, colour photoetced and a little bit resin parts? Thanks, but in that case, I'd rather wait for this model from another manufacturer, not from the Sword.

Serge,

Do you know for a fact that this has what's been done? If so, please provide the evidence?

I for one would be very disappointed if this proved to be the case. :(

14 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

Redesign Italery with inside panel line, colour photoetced and a little bit resin parts? Thanks, but in that case, I'd rather wait for this model from another manufacturer, not from the Sword. In the end, in my closet with models lies the good old F-84F from Airfix with Microscale decals on atomic Thunderstreak.

B)

B.R.

Serge

Perhaps a little harsh, we haven't seen sprue shots yet.;) Although not without some merit, all the same - Sword's Cougers did remind me quite strongly of the Hasegawa single seater.:hmmm:Either way, we can't tell one way or the other until we see plastic.

Mike.

Edited by MikeR

6 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Netherland or Norway???

Decisions, decisions...

Easy, both! :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'll have to start my F-4F/ RF-84F collection all over again now   😓... I had at one time built examples of every operator except the Nationalist Chinese ones ! In both F and RF versions using a mix of Airfix( mainly) for the 'Streak and Italeri for the 'Flash. All have been sold on except my PJ Productions Streak in Italian markings and an Italeri Flash in Danish colours.  I reckon the tooling will be new and not a copy of Italeri which had so many issues.

2 hours ago, Wez said:

Serge,

Do you know for a fact that this has what's been done? If so, please provide the evidence?

I don't know! It's my assumption.

But I have M.D.450 Ouragan from Heller & Sword, F-101A from Sword & RF-101C from Hasegawa, F3D from Sword & Matchbox, my friend have F2H Banshee from Sword & Airfix....let's say, the similarity of many details, structural and technological solutions leads to certain conclusions about where the original, and where remastered.

2 hours ago, MikeR said:

Either way, we can't tell one way or the other until we see plastic

+ 146% I agree!

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aardvark said:

Thanks, but in that case, I'd rather wait for this model from another manufacturer, not from the Sword. I

Good grief, your glass isn't even half full!! Rejoice, don't mourn.

Gene K

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aardvark said:

I don't know! It's my assumption.

But I have M.D.450 Ouragan from Heller & Sword, F-101A from Sword & RF-101C from Hasegawa, F3D from Sword & Matchbox, my friend have F2H Banshee from Sword & Airfix....let's say, the similarity of many details, structural and technological solutions leads to certain conclusions about where the original, and where remastered.

Serge,

AFAIK, Sword haven't done an Ouragan or Voodoo, Valom on the other hand have, so unless Sword dod the tooling for Valom, there's no case to answer there.

As for the other subjects mentioned, I haven't seen those but I do have the P-47N still to complete in the stash and as far as I can reasonably remember, that's not based on anyone else's mouldings (although I'm happy to be proven wrong).

I'll wait and see.

• Like 1

You all forgot to mention the top models of these birds. 1/72 F-84F and RF-84 from PJ Production issued in 2005 or 2006. Of course that's resin, but these are little gems !

Now for Sword as long as they revamp oldies but goodies ,and bring them up to date by correcting them, bringing new versions , adding resin or PE details that's O.K. for me. These are very nice kits. Eduard is just repacking other brand kits and just add some PE and resin… and nobody is crying !

Special Hobby is revisiting some CMR models...and people clap and clap ….

I support SWORD models and I will definitely keep on buying these very abordable and nice kits ...

Amen

Madcop

• Like 4

Hi all

According to Scalemates these are new tool

https://www.scalemates.com/products/product.php?id=1148785&p=timeline

And it will replace the Italeri kit I have in my stash for years ..

But I would be very happy if Airfix would retool their old F84F 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/148786-airfix-03022-9-f-84-thunderstreak

Patrice

Well the Sword FJ-2, 3 and 3M kits are certainly not copied from anyone, and all are very good indeed. If the standard is the same for the RF-84Fs, what's not to like?

As ever, it would be a good idea to buy the thing and then start the critique, rather than spending time on what is pure whimsy. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Well the Sword FJ-2, 3 and 3M kits are certainly not copied from anyone, and all are very good indeed. If the standard is the same for the RF-84Fs, what's not to like?

As ever, it would be a good idea to buy the thing and then start the critique, rather than spending time on what is pure whimsy. 

Well I've decided to put my money where my mouth is and put one on order.

I was thinking too about Sword's mouldings they did for Xtrakit, AFAIK, they were originals too (Hunter T-bird as well as the two Supermarine fat boys - the Swift and the Scimitar).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wez said:

Serge,

AFAIK, Sword haven't done an Ouragan or Voodoo, Valom on the other hand have, so unless Sword dod the tooling for Valom, there's no case to answer there.

You right, I'm wrong. Of course I have a Ouragan and Voodoo from Valom. (At night, my still need to sleep, and not always write to Britmodeller. :):))

But what does this fundamentally change?

If You need stories about prototype for Sword model's I have it!!!!

P-47N from Sword??? It's  remastered  Tamiya. Reading  this translate: (Sorry, but translated Google)

"About eight years ago I collected both the "hunchbacked" and "babltop" from the snowballs - Matchbox and Frog. They still stand on the shelf, although they will soon be replaced by more advanced models from Tamiya. But a big "pitcher" of modification N, I did not come across anyway ... For a long time I was hunting for the Italian model, but it somehow did not turn up. Already, even in despair, I wanted to buy an aero set, but suddenly I was prompted about the existence of the Sword model and offered to get it. I immediately agreed, without even knowing what is in the box ... Before that, I had to collect the Czech short-wounds more than once, so I did not have much hope for the quality of performance ... And what was my surprise and delight when opening the box, I saw there is almost a full copy of my familiar Tamiya model with modifications for the late modification!

Although the docking of parts and the "clumsy" modifications of the Czechs somewhat complicated the assembly of the model, on the whole it was not bad and in two weeks it was possible to bring it almost to the pre-color state."

Resource (and built P-47N from Sword):

http://scalemodels.ru/articles/5782-Sword-1-72-P-47N-Thunderbolt.html

And remastered P-47N from Sword not bad various.

Czechs from Sword honestly tried to spoil the model from Tamiya, but they did not succeed!

:) :) :)

So petty mischief! Then the game on big has already gone! From the discussion about

article "Review  Sword 1/72 F2H-2P Banshee(#7376)":

"100%, that the Airfix at the base of the Sword lies, so if the fix is already there, then it's better to just buy an after-market to buy it and collect it."

there you can see all the shortcomings:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_52249.html

From discussions:

"New  Sword: 1/72 J2M3 Raiden (Jack...(#3958)":

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_35665.html

"Hello !
Sword's website has new photos.

With a kind of nothing, "mom" apparently Hasegawa"

"- Detailing Hasegawa. It looks like fixes - minimumminimore ... uniquely disappointing ...

-Lish, but what exactly disappoints?

-First of all, become the brand Sword, not clear panel  line. The low detailing unambiguously did not change (individual blinds are not taken into account). Wheels bay tried to finish, but they remained small. The most important thing is that the hood is not fixed!"

e.t.c, e.t.c......

In all this discussion only one general principle, the Sword-principle is taken, some old model is being reworked, often not only together with the existing errors, but also with the addition of new ones from the Sword, and all this adds photoetching and resin set.

Maybe, of course, with RF-84F will somehow be different, but my intuition tells me that everything will be the same.

;):)

B.R.

Serge

Thanks for that summary Serge, oh well I'm familiar with the Italeri kit so we shall see what comes along.

Even if it would be a 'reworked copy' of the Italeri (which I doubt, really), I would take it, as there would certainly be improvements and it wouldn't cost more than an Italeri rerun, anyway!

Edited by ivand

One thing about the main difference between the Airfix and Italeri kits ais the size of the cockpit transparencies ...Italeri one looking very big. I think the AFX one is much better and also closely matches the size in the Daco resin kit. So if Sword have done it right the cockpit covers will and should be miles different to the Italeri ones.