Whatever happened to Airframe Silver?

Stein Meum

Around 1969-70, Humbrol released a series of Authentic paint sets. The RAF set included, amongst others, a colour named Airframe Silver. Haven't heard about it after the set went out of production.

Would this have been the silver used for the tubular constructions in the cockpit of Hurricanes and Typhoons. Also landing gear wells, doors and gear struts of these types as well as Tempests?

Stein M 

If memory serves, Airframe Silver was a bright true silver, and so would have been unsuitable for elements like Hawker cockpit frames (not that that would have stopped it being specified in instructions).  If you don't want them painted, the better approach would be a duller metallic colour such as aluminium.  Same goes for the undercarriage door parts.  On airframes, bright silver's most useful for oleo struts, and for selected panels on a natural metal finish.

I remember those. Dearer than normal paint. No way was I ever going to buy "Night" black or the usual greens and browns, no matter how authentic. What my childhood mind couldn't cope with was, "if these special and dearer paints are 'authentic' then what does it make the regular range"? just vague guesses at Brunswick green or admiralty grey maybe? I did buy Sea Grey Medium for my Merlin Beau conversion though. Very matt and went on like a dream, even with my 3d (denares) paintbrushes bought from the hardware shop round the corner.

The existence  of a Cockpit green was entirely new to me, as was, to be fair, actually taking time to paint the interior before slapping the fuselage halves together.  German bombers were different though, the extensive 'beetles eye' glazing demanded painting so I bought Humbrols' Grau 02. How was this colour supposed to be also used as an exterior shade, alongside all the fuselage mottling? It took me years to realise that they got the shade totally wrong and it was an attempt at Grau 66. It took Almark's 'Modelworld' series to put me right. "A bit of dark grey mixed into Sky."   

I'm still under therapy.