Another Bristol Bulldog

Finally got started on my contribution, the venerable Bristol Bulldog, for some reason I have 3 although a few parts are missing so in reality there's enough to do 2. This one will be largely OOB as I am in respite after my Contrail Botha!

The kits...

43020047871_03d65137a1_c.jpg

Decided to open the blister pack but use the decals from the later boxed version as they are the only ones in usable condition.

Here's what you get..

41209922920_99644313d3_c.jpg

Noticed the poor pilot is missing a leg and some engine cowl bits have broken off and gone missing so will raid one of the other kits for replacements.

Added a better seat, instrument panel, framing, control column etc to the cockpit, very little of which is seen once closed up.

41209886960_212cd5cc7c_c.jpg

Closed up and spayed.

29148245418_015a4c6256_c.jpg

The circular block on the lower wing looks at first like a casting mark but does exist on the real thing, there is a corresponding hole in the bottom of the fuselage to take it.

The decals are thick and despite all my best endeavours refuse to sit well. I will replace the roundels with Xtradecal ones and possibly the lettering too. The tail ones are terrible and will be replaced by masking and spraying. I wanted to apply them at the gloss stage so that they don't silver, the fabric areas will be dulled down with matt varnish spray.

29148269608_315b11abd1_c.jpg

All in all I'd say this is a well engineered kit and should go together well...more soon.

• Like 5

I've replaced the upper wing decals with xtradecal which are not as thick as the Airfix ones and work much better. All the fabric areas have ben 'matted' with Humbrol matt varnish, the contrast with the metal areas looks quite good IMHO!

42139553215_c49ff81b38_c.jpg

42139569495_741140cfd5_c.jpg

I have taken the plunge with the tail decals of removing them and will paint them on hence the white tail as a first step.

• Like 9

A little more progress.

The engine supplied is nicely detailed and with a black was has lots of detail.

42246266535_c9846fa270_c.jpg

The way the three parts of the engine fit together is excellent and a tribute to Airfix's craftsmanship. The collector ring was painted metallic silver, then washed with a coat of brown/copper and finally a black oil wash.

29279474108_7c97317689_c.jpg

All for now!

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Spotted the finished Bulldog in the Gallery and it looks terrific - rigged and everything! I've missed sharing the completion of the build - are you able to put any more in this build thread? Cheers. Mike

Ditto the above - smashing job.  I have 4 x 1/48 Gipsy Moths in the stash - don't ask...

...I've still never built a bi-plane - but this is a good inspiration - I must get them out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BIG X said:

Ditto the above - smashing job.  I have 4 x 1/48 Gipsy Moths in the stash - don't ask...

...I've still never built a bi-plane - but this is a good inspiration - I must get them out. 

Buy a set of micro drills, some fishing line and give it a bash, it’s not so hard! Look forward to seeing your WIP! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bristol boy said:

Buy a set of micro drills, some fishing line and give it a bash, it’s not so hard! Look forward to seeing your WIP! 

ooh I've got all the gear - and no idea - as they say...

I have a couple of projects on the go - but I certainly feel inspired to 'give it a go' soon.  :goodjob:

• Haha 2