Appliance a white, Airliner modelling

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

If I may take this slightly off topic for a moment, a quick question for any Kiwi or Australian modellers, do Repco's or Suprcheap's spray can ranges do a similar product to appliance white? I'm getting a few airliners I want to build.

Steve.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Export-Aerosol-Paint-Enamel-Appliance-White-250g/13102

and also

https://www.bunnings.com.au/white-knight-300g-gloss-appliance-white-squirts-paint-and-prime_p1566063

Nothing that I could find from Repco.

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Thanks Rob, any personal preferences with them? The SC one is not a bad price so I may buy some & try on my paint hulk.

Steve.

I've used both brands on various (non-modelling) projects and neither are top class. If I had to pick, I'd probably lean towards the White Knight brand as being 'better', but please do bear in mind that neither are Dulux quality. They're cheap, so try one of each and see.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Okay @PhantomBigStu , the thing is... Don't Panic!

It's the under side of the wing.

Real planes have flaws and imperfections.

It's only a plastic model.

Solutions will come.

It needs time to dry, and you need time to think.

From the picture, it looks fillable to me.

People are talking about Perfect Plastic Putty... ever come across any? Suppose to be great.

Rub down and carry on.

But give yourself a minute to think and regroup.

All is not lost!

👍

• Like 2

On July 7, 2018 at 1:57 PM, Rob G said:

I found the White Knight paint was a bit too industrial, the auto paint is your better option. Though I recommend either Tamiya or Gunze white primer as a base coat at least even though I use it as a top coat too. 

On 8/7/2018 at 10:43 AM, bentwaters81tfw said:

Leave it a few days to harden, sand, a bit of filler, depending on how deep it is, and another light coat. No sweat.

Saw your post and slept on this, decided to try to fill it with superglue, it worked, thanks for the inspiration. now for the bit I’m really dreading, masking the curved wing fuselage join...

2 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Saw your post and slept on this, decided to try to fill it with superglue, it worked, thanks for the inspiration. now for the bit I’m really dreading, masking the curved wing fuselage join...

Tamiya flexible tape, the thin white stuff. Great for curves. More than one width.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TA87177

• Like 1

Just my tuppeth worth, I must admit to getting great results with Appliance White from the can, or my prefered method of decanting and applying through the airbrush. If I'm using a rattle can then I tend to apply 'medium' coats, (mist coats can orange peel if you're not careful) about 6-8 inches away in short sweeping bursts, over a Halfords White Primer base, sanded back using Micro Mesh until silky smooth. The secret with applying, for me anyway, is shaking the life out of the can, pre-warming it and spraying outside, preferably in direct sunlight and out of any wind, (the same applies to Humbrol's Matt clear acrylic varnish). I move it to a warm place, in my case the conservatory and place a clear plastic container over the model to prevent any airborne debris landing on it. This also helps speed up the drying process as the paint shrinks back slightly to give the super smooth gloss finish. Everyone will have their favourite method but this has always worked for me, 

• Like 1