MiG-17, 923rd Fighter Regiment, "Yen The"

Howdy All,

Just taken some pic`s of my latest effort so I hope you don`t mind me sharing them with you

9kboUHR.jpg

My attempt at Heller`s re-boxing of Smer`s 1/48 MiG-17 kit

hUVSkAp.jpg

Completed to represent an aircraft of the 923rd Fighter Reg`, `Yen The` ( no, I don`t know what it means 🙂 ) NVAF

dxYr8Z2.jpg

I`ve had the decals for ages but couldn`t find any pic`s or much info` on the particular airframe so just decided to give it my best shot

0fx1RyL.jpg

The camouflage is described in the instruction as `used for missions at the sea` 

PNqJoUm.jpg

Decals from L Decals Studio LDS 48007, the kit is mostly from the box contents

ZXegTMR.jpg

Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking

Enjoy the sunshine, cheers Russ

• Like 61
  • Thanks 1

Great job on this.  I built this model many years ago and the sink hole were all over it.  If yours was the same you have managed to make them disappear nicely.  Great paint scheme too.  

• Like 1

Very nice MiG 17.  The "Yen The" Flight Regiment is named in honour of Yen The, a district of Bac Giang province in Northeast Vietnam, scene of an insurrection against the French between 1887 and 1913.

Andrew

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Andwil said:

Very nice MiG 17.  The "Yen The" Flight Regiment is named in honour of Yen The, a district of Bac Giang province in Northeast Vietnam, scene of an insurrection against the French between 1887 and 1913.

Andrew

Cheers Andrew, Thanks for the info`, I thought it was probably a motto like the South Vietnamese put on some of their Skyraider cowls.

Lovely job. 

I remember building the Airfix boxing of this plastic and quite liking it. I had an Eduard set for it, which was one of the first if not the first they produced. 

The moulding is reminiscent of a 1/48th MiG-21 and Su-7 that came out from a Czech manufacturer in the late 80s - OEZ rings a bell? 

John 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rich G said:

That's really nice, your Vietnam collection must look impressive now!

Rich

Thanks Rich, had a bit of a `cull` recently, so it`s not too bad, I`ll have to find a way of displaying them vertically 🙂 

• Like 1

Very nice Fresco Russ, very nice indeed.

I built one of these some years ago and actually enjoyed it, its a bit crude in places but certainly looks like a Mig-17. And I really like your camo scheme, probably one of the aircraft used to attack US warships off the coast of North Vietnam.

• Like 1