Paint removal

Redstaff

13 minutes ago, Steve Noble said:

It strips the paint but as already stated it dries out the plastic and makes it brittle to the point where it can snap

I must just have been lucky all the times I've used it then. Which is most unusual....!! :)

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

morning all, have not tried tamiya paint remover but i use revell  colour mix thinners,(the one with the dark blue lable not the light blue)  i brush it on then wipe off,do small areas at a time,i have also found that polyclense brush cleaner also works and can be washed with water,i keep a small bottle of cleaner for cleaning humbrol paint off my brushes and the "dirty" cleaner is a bit milder so takes a bit longer.as i say this works for me if you try it do so carefully

hope this makes sense

Willie

On 6/28/2018 at 5:21 PM, keefr22 said:

@MAD STEVE stupid question, when you say "don't be tempted to use water to wash off the paint when you take it out of the Dettol", what do you use if not water?

Hey Keith.

After experimenting with the Dettol quite a bit, I found the easiest and best way for me is to take off the stripped paint with a toothbrush and old rag, just wipe it all off and use a tooth pic to get into all the shutlines etc. Once the entire body is clean of paint residue, then clean it off with some soapy water and let it dry off in the sun.

If you use water to try and get the paint off the body, it turns into a sticky gloop that is twice as hard to get off and stains the plastic. 

Edited by MAD STEVE
  • Thanks 1