Airfix 1:48 PR.9 Canberra 58 Squadron RAF Wyton

AS-11 purchased and 3 rods of brass rod too.......1.5mm as I think 0.8 (this is all they had in my local hobby store) should be about right.....

All I needed was 1cm at best...now almost a meters worth...ack well. will give it a bash later on

• Like 1

So the brass rod was too thick, but the trusty paper clip was just about right..

44235599014_3bf00f800e_z.jpgDSC_1754

And the winning paint combination is?......

44235597894_c8646351c8_z.jpgDSC_1750

Only issue is that I need to go back to eModels to pick up some more AS-30 as there is very little left....oops....

Bit of an update,

I managed to fashion some rudder power actuators and add them as close to the pic kindly saupplied by @canberra kid

I hope they look ok?

44294801154_366010358c_z.jpgDSC_1773

44294813004_50a827599b_z.jpgDSC_1772

Once painted, they should look ok....I hope?

Undercarriage is slowly coming along, though I am a little unsure on whether they arepainted alight grey colour with some light wear and tear weathering, And I am pretty sure the under carriage bays are white in principle, with oil, grim and general weathering.

FLAPS!!!!!!! chortle**......prepped and ready for paint!

31209276658_2c3a454833_z.jpgDSC_1776

Well, she's masked up and ready for a new dress. She'll probably going into paint over the weekend too.

30145508097_6a1a8944f6_z.jpgDSC_1775

Edited by Mikey-1980
  • Like 2

Hi Mikey

She's looking good! One thing before you start painting, the rudder power actuator is only on the port side. As for u/c it is all white with as you say verious shades of grime, the colour of the lower part of the nose wheel could very though with ether light grey or black. 

John

• Like 2

I could kick myself, but I’d probably miss.  I had an all-too-brief opportunity to get up close with XH170 on Wyton’s gate last Sunday but didn’t get any detail shots.  What can be seen of her legs are finished in aluminium.

• Like 1

Thanks chaps!

I'm only parially painted the legs at the moment, but can easily be changed to the Aluminium finish.

I'll take off the starboard side actuator tonight and clean up the surface too, thanks for the John. :) that side was a bit ropy anyways haha!!

Nice scratch work on that actuator. Plus you've got one for the spares bin now! Looking forward to seeing this beast painted. Such a beautiful aircraft.

• Like 1

The underwear will wait until the fuselarge is painted and weathered accordingly. Thanks for the pics though John, I did scour through your fine archive but there wasn't much that I could find.

One question regarding paint though.....and it relates to the high gloss finish of the Canberra.....As I am using Tamiya's AS range of paints, and acombination of the original Airfix and Hannant's Xtra decals, I am concerned as to which gloss to actually use so that I do not ruin the paint and the decals.

The chaps at eModels recommended this. Mr Super Clear Gloss

https://www.emodels.co.uk/mr-super-clear-gloss-513.html

Any ideas if this would be suitable? if not, and recommendations with be appriciated :)

Hi Mikey

I've had a look at my photos and as always with a Canberra there is no definitive answer, I've found all Aluminium and or black for early ones, white well's with aluminum wheels  and all white, and then there is always this if you want to pimp your Canberra.

xnG3VW.jpg

John 

This is perfect John, thank you.

This is pretty much the scheme I will go with I think. The undercarriage bays can be easily repainted, and the gear doors and legs a bronzed gold. It looks like the mud guards are also the bronzed gold too? 

Would the same anti corrosion paint be used for the wing flaps too or would they be white with aluminium? From some of the images I've seen they look white? 

Haha!! Well I have been told I'm an awkward sod at times! 😂 😂 

I'll go with the aluminium finish, seems about right and in keeping with the Hunter too. 

How's the Big Wing coming along? 

Mike

52 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

Hi Mikey

I've had a look at my photos and as always with a Canberra there is no definitive answer, I've found all Aluminium and or black for early ones, white well's with aluminum wheels  and all white, and then there is always this if you want to pimp your Canberra.

xnG3VW.jpg

John 

Thanks John: my (very hazy) memory of XH165 is of black wells, door interiors and bays but I couldn’t be 1000% certain that her legs were also black.  I’ve an idea that those of PR. 3 WE168 when on display at Manston we’re also black.

• Like 2

Oooooo shiny!! 

I'm very tempted that go to the Telford show as it's only 30 min drive away from me. Plus it's my birthday weekend too, excuse to buy a prezzie or two for my self too 😂 

Mike

2 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

I'm very tempted that go to the Telford show as it's only 30 min drive away from me.

Mikey your having a laugh.... !

People travel from the far end of Europe, Canada and USA to do Telford!!

By the way, that picture has just reminded me, you ought to make a couple of wheel chocks- either for the main gear or for the nose wheel.

I like em! 

IMG_20180411_141840

No parked plane should be seen without them!

Here, help me down off this pulpit, somebody.... anyone..... Hello??...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Mikey your having a laugh.... !

People travel from the far end of Europe, Canada and USA to do Telford!!

HAHA!! Have you ever been to Telford?

The influx of people will help stir up the gene pool a bit!

Nice works with the Chocks there, something to consider when I place on display. :)

• Haha 1

I haven't made it there yet.

Not sure about this year.... It'll be a last minute opportunity if I do.

I met none other than Mr and Mrs Belcher a couple of years ago on their way to the show.

Belchersbits is a Canadian outfit, with an excellent reputation in the after-market world. I often wonder what all they had in their luggage!!