Airfix 1:48 PR.9 Canberra 58 Squadron RAF Wyton

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 08:33, Mikey-1980 said:

Sorry for the absence, long weekend away in London for the Film and Comicon as well as house hunting. First viewing yesterday and already scoping out where my work bench would be located. haha! Priorities....

Its simples! No man cave/work bench = no sale!

Reading the thread, I get the feeling you are enjoying this build which is the most important thing of all. That said, she is looking very promising.

Councillor Martian 👽

haha, why thank you Councillor Martin.....We did look at a place yesturday with not only a man cave / office, but also a converted basement.

Only issue was a chain of sale until January next year...thats that one scratched then?

Absolutely yes, loving this build so far. Not fighting me as much as the Red Arrows Hawk, but its shown a few challenges so far. She is a huge bird though, heavy too.....what with all that front end weight..... ;)

As promised, managed some bench time this weekend, though not a great deal....

I'm done with the sanding, filling, more sanding, filling etc. etc.......its as good as I am going to get it I think,

So onwards with the wing.....and first disaster has struck. Some how the wing tip bent clean in half over the seem line.....I have gently bent it back into place with out snapping it off, and glued into place when the wing sections were sealed. I little filler and careful sanding should solve it

43398516104_40a0dc1a87_z.jpgDSC_1687

Remembering at the last minute before sealing up, the exhaust ports for the start up carts needed to be drilled out....I'm not sure if anything needs to go on the insides of the nacells like a mesh of some sort, so closer inspection of the excellet photo's from @canberra kid will help.

30251006858_be7c3e8f8f_z.jpgDSC_1685

44070282112_2705763f14_z.jpgDSC_1686

You can see on the Starbord wing where the wing tip had folded over...it was at this point I had realised the issue.

43212590885_be178bb20c_z.jpgDSC_1684

Glued and sealed in place, based coat painted for the under carriage wells prior to further paint detailing and weathering.

43210267885_7674e7acfc_z.jpgDSC_1688

Dry fit of the wings with a few possible panel lines need filling in underneath. I may position the camera pod in place before adding the sing to give the fuslage some structural stability before attaching the wings. 

You can also see the extensive filler needed to smooth out seal lines

43398521114_c4e47a7261_z.jpgDSC_1689

Thats it so far....though I did make a purchase yesturday that may mean the Canberra is shelved for the time being....

uNGWlpAB4C6WC4Cw0LIwMDEtls=

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the close up pic, much appriciated. I think it may be a little too late to change the vent position now. I noticed that there seems to be a few on the under neath of the engine nacells too.

I was contemplating drilling these out too, but I wanted to be 100% before I did so.

In fact I just looked at the pic of the canberra I have from Cosford, and they are in fact there....more carful drilling and needle filing tonight :)

https://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=143442401

A little more progress.

You cant really see them that well, but I started on some kind of wired grid on the vent ports. Should do the trick?

43465254164_04dd1219a0_z.jpgDSC_1694

I also drilled out the vents on the lower side

42375098260_9831a70af9_z.jpgDSC_1695

The additional vents that are normally seen, I shall paint these in with some shading to give some depth

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers!

Cosford is only 30 mins down the road from me, so I think a few more trips there may be needed.

Work has finally resummed on the PR.9, still spending alot of time sanding and filling...this time the wings! 😫😫😫

The flaps and the exhaust nozzels are a slight bugger to fit, but I think I've got them sorted now. the wing tip fuel pods are just about sanded as smooth as Duncan Goodhews head. I think the seem lines will still show up during paint though? hmm..

I have dry fitted the wings but with the bomb / photo bay still open there is some serious gap issues on the underside.

I have seen builds who have braced the inside of the fuselage that appears to compensate for this, just to figure out how to do it.

Pics to follow as soon as possible.

Small update......managed to get some bench time yesturday.

Wings are 95% finished now, the fuel pods will be left off until final assembly after paint, an idead os scale with the tail section and wings layed out. BTW, this is an A3 cutting pad...

42767795060_a637d5e73f_z.jpgDSC_1712

A light bit of painting for the turbines....though these were a pain as they dont quite fit correctly....I accidentally pushed one back into the engine nacelle causing a minor kuffule...

29639292107_db831881c0_z.jpgDSC_1713

Rudder attached

42767782760_9a81024889_z.jpgDSC_1714

Forward camera and Nav port (sorry to the officianardo's if this term is incorrect) filled in with Krystal Klear and then masked off with Humbrol Maskol...Nav windows also prepped and masked off

30708099578_21b285fef5_z.jpgDSC_1715

I also decided to attach the canopy to protect the cockpit a bit through the rest of the construction. Masked off and ready to go...only issue is that it doesn't quite sit flush together....hmmmm

42767778430_15242030aa_z.jpgDSC_1716

30707326228_d71ba90f05_z.jpgDSC_1717

Alost as if they are 2 different sizes where the canopy sections meet.....

Next up, the camera bay section and to scracth build the main 14" camera where the flare bay would have been.....a challenge, but I'll give it  a bash.

• Like 4

Whilst the ladies of the house entertained themselves with Bake Off, I scuttled to the work bench to have a crack at scratch building the camera for the PR.9

With a lot of help from @canberra kid 's vast photo gallery I had a crack at it!

The main components were a disassembled works pen (shamless plug there) buy using the tip cover and a few of the bezzels to tray and form the appature lense and surround.

42813057740_827d55d185_z.jpgDSC_1718

A little more work I think is needed on the frame and haness I think, but it's not that bad I dont think?

42813051410_b6f5a90935_z.jpgDSC_1719

A blob of Krystal Klear on the centre lense as well as the rest of the camera "lenses" will be applied to them once painted and details as best I can, then the fuselage cover placed over the protect and them masked off.

Any thoughts and tips are again always welcomed :)

• Like 9

I think I should be ok with the canopy, it sits a little offset, but I think with a little bit of Krystal Klear strategically placed, and some very careful sanding I think I may be able to save it. But thank you very much for the offer though @canberra kid

I think it may be do to with all the faffing I was doing with the bang seat and the cockpit tub. The pilot seat I did have to saw down the base of it 2mm to allow the canopy to close, and not it dosen;t quite line up. I'll sort it though. :)

As for the other camera pods, I was thinking of using some cut to size straws to extend the leneses slightly, then again a blob of Krystal Klear to simulate a glass lense under the cover. The main one needs a little more work, but once painted up I think it will look half decent :)

I have to say as well, your Big Wing Project is just epic!! Really looking forward to seeing the finished bird.

11 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

I think I should be ok with the canopy, it sits a little offset, but I think with a little bit of Krystal Klear strategically placed, and some very careful sanding I think I may be able to save it. But thank you very much for the offer though @canberra kid

I think it may be do to with all the faffing I was doing with the bang seat and the cockpit tub. The pilot seat I did have to saw down the base of it 2mm to allow the canopy to close, and not it dosen;t quite line up. I'll sort it though. :)

As for the other camera pods, I was thinking of using some cut to size straws to extend the leneses slightly, then again a blob of Krystal Klear to simulate a glass lense under the cover. The main one needs a little more work, but once painted up I think it will look half decent :)

I have to say as well, your Big Wing Project is just epic!! Really looking forward to seeing the finished bird.

No problems Mikey, t's there if you do need it. I did something like your idea for the camera's for my RB.57E I think they looked ok? RB.57E build thank you for your kind words on my big wing build :)

John

• Like 1

More than welcome my friend, it's an impressive build to undertake, and from the work I've seen you do already it willlook superb!

Cracking build for your RB-57E thetre, and I do like your scratch built camera's too. I had a slight ephiphony during my hour commute to work, via the M6.....Q-tip's cut to size should be about the right gauge for the 5 additional cameras.

Something to try when I get back home tonight :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

More than welcome my friend, it's an impressive build to undertake, and from the work I've seen you do already it willlook superb!

Cracking build for your RB-57E thetre, and I do like your scratch built camera's too. I had a slight ephiphony during my hour commute to work, via the M6.....Q-tip's cut to size should be about the right gauge for the 5 additional cameras.

Something to try when I get back home tonight :)

Q-Tip's a man after my own heart! :) 

John

Luckily I haven't fitted them yet, I'm waiting until the main body of paint is completed before attaching them. I couldn't see any type of adpator within the kit instructions, unless I'm missing something?

They look like they just glue into place?

Big weekend on the build report too,

Camera bays done and glazed over. I hope they look OK?

43982040444_fac26d2bbf_z.jpgDSC_1721

Lower fuselage buttoned up and glazed sections masked up. I also placed a baffel in the fuselage o slight bolster it structually and also to allow the camera bay to fit slightly better. Only minimal amount of filler and sanding needed....RESULT!

42890458990_f0953be86c_z.jpgDSC_1722

So with that....onwards to attach this birds wings....I did cheat a bit but using a combination of liquid poly and clear Gorilla glue. within secods the wings were fixed in place. Great stuff!

29782927627_af2666cc89_z.jpgDSC_1724

Even with an initall dry fit prior to glueng into place, there weas minimal seam issues...a bit of filler and sanding and they now looks presentable. This is the before picture.

44670150952_6ec575a086_z.jpgDSC_1726

Tail section needed a bit too, but it is now all sorted. a little bit of re-scribing needed prior to paint. but we're getting there...

30849098248_1594f25468_z.jpgDSC_1727

Next up, just some of the finer details of anteners and bits n bobs. Then to prepair flaps etc ready for paint......

• Like 2

Thanks chaps!

So if I have this correct, the adapter is like a spacer / gasket ring that goes around the attachement section and then onto the wing?

On the diagram you have poster, the component labelled "Rubber Ring"?

13 minutes ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Thanks chaps!

So if I have this correct, the adapter is like a spacer / gasket ring that goes around the attachement section and then onto the wing?

On the diagram you have poster, the component labelled "Rubber Ring"?

Hi Mike the rubber ring is just a seal that sits on top of the adaptor collar, I will have a look for some photos to give you a better idea of what it looks like. Tip tanks were not normally used by the PR.9 so if you wanted to leve them of it would be fine.

John