Airfix 1:48 PR.9 Canberra 58 Squadron RAF Wyton

Nice one Mikey, she's shaping up well, I know you've had a few issues here and there but over all, looking good! The SAAF Canberra that is at the museum, if she's the ond I'm thinking of is a very interesting Canberra, but aren't they all! 😊

John

Edited by canberra kid
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Hi @Ex-FAAWAFU I am indeed, Thank you :) 

I would happily give you some cash for the kit as well as the postage. which airfix kit is it please?

I’m away from home today, so I will confirm over the weekend, but I’m 90% sure it’s A05102.  I bought it ages ago to serve as the donor kit for the Heritage T4N conversion set [I was lucky enough to hold over on 899 NAS for a few weeks at the start of my flying training, and managed to blag 4 trips in a T-bird, along with several in a Hunter T8M]; eventually I want to build at least one example of every type in my log book.  But I now have the Kinetic T4/8 kit in 1/48, and realistically that’s the one that will eventually be built.  The conversion set has gone to a friend, so I have an untouched Airfix 1/48 Harrier.

Instead of clogging up your build thread, I’ll PM you over the weekend.

• Thanks 1

You sir are an awesome chap! 

That is the very kit I am after. Please let me know if you want anything for the kit. 

I'll give you my postal address for carriage and PayPal account on return to your PM. 

This weekend was mainly taken up with sorting out the spare room to become a crafting / work bench room for me and my lady.

The entrance, which should be eventually be covered with more nerdy stuff....possibly a stencil with "Weapons Locker 1701D" (Battlestar Galactica & Star Trek fans should get the connection)

46138232155_84b48e4df1_z.jpgDSC_1943

The view, it's much better when it's not dark....mainly the back yards of the neighbors 

33176686878_f56849b559_z.jpgDSC_1940

Unfortunately I have to share the room with the boiler.....why they put it in here I have now idea.....Stay Shiny!

46999894912_671a70c3ae_z.jpgDSC_1941

Temporary home for the Hunter, and the Typhoon class sub I built a few years back...sadly the conning tower took a hit in the move.

46138233365_43fcda7d98_z.jpgDSC_1942

More to follow with the build log

• Like 2

On 07/02/2019 at 21:04, Mikey-1980 said:

Right then...it's been far too long for an up date on the Canberra, so I've managed to squeeze in a bit of bench time.

First thing to do was to dust off the inch layer thick of duct that had accumulated on the old bird.

The lean-to on the new house has already proven to be a makeshift paint booth. Armed with Tamiya's TS-13 clear semi-gloss.

46106279705_0ff51dbb15_z.jpgDSC_1932

33144764198_88657b10e0_z.jpgDSC_1933

So far I'm impressed by the application of the TS-13. It has dried incredibly quickly. the lower half of the fuselage is drying as I type.

Flaps are coated too and are drying. Hopefully I may get the under carriage done over the weekend or at least before I head of Johannesburg with work for a few days.

Incidentally there is the South African Air Force museum in Pretoria I'm going to try to get to whilst I am there. Apparently there is a Canberra there too.

https://saafmuseum.org.za/english-electric-canberra/

Hopefully more to follow in the coming days to finish the PR.9

This is looking superb!

The gloss laquer you used, how easy is it to apply, do you just paint it on? It doesn't leave brush lines does it?

I'm about to start this kit in the very same markings, but I only have satin aerosols (dark sea grey, light a/c grey and tamiya as-30 green) Will I need to use this gloss laquer or do you think she'll look realistic satin?

Hi @Lord Riot

The satin rattle cans do give a great finish, but if you want the polished gloss finish I would recommend getting the TS-13 rattle can too. 

Apply it as you would normally but let it dry a little longer than the satin paint. I made the mistake and I left a small finger print on the underside of the port wing. 

It leaves a great finish that isn't too glossy and looks, to me, far more realistic. 

Look forward to watching you build on the Canberra, and definitely take advantage of @canberra kid resources. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Mikey, I'll get some TS-13 then. Definitely looks the part on yours, very realistic. 

I'll certainly be using any resources I can, there seems to be a lot of variation with these Canberras. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally an update thats is worth to be called so.

Despite being off work with a minor chest infection....thanks to the step daughters boyfriend infecting the house, I managed to actually get some decent bench time.

Time to put the boots on the Canberra...

47279424971_44485c9dff_z.jpgDSC_1969

The wheels have proven to be tricky to glue into place, but I think they should be ok.....

As you can see, I've painted the struts and the undercarriage inner sides the "anticorrosion" paint collour. This is basically beaten bronze from Citadel Color. Decent paints and do the job perfectly.

46364864865_bfbc1db645_z.jpgDSC_1970

The view from the new bench.....Southerly facing and the back of the garage was covered in ivy....soon to be refurbed, skimmed and a pull down screen attached for a summer out door cinema screen.

47279424841_1efec87a6e_z.jpgDSC_1971

Now just to wait for the glue to dry and see if the PR.9 sits on her perch and is not tail heavy.

Unfortunately I didn't get chance to go to the SAAF museum in Pretoria, mainly down to not having enough time, and also that it was a lot further away than I thought.

Maybe next time? Though if I am in South Africa again it will be to Cape Town and to Thunder City instead.....

Edited by Mikey-1980
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Finally an update thats is worth to be called so.

Despite being off work with a minor chest infection....thanks to the step daughters boyfriend infecting the house, I managed to actually get some decent bench time.

Time to put the boots on the Canberra...

47279424971_44485c9dff_z.jpgDSC_1969

The wheels have proven to be tricky to glue into place, but I think they should be ok.....

As you can see, I've painted the struts and the undercarriage inner sides the "anticorrosion" paint collour. This is basically beaten bronze from Citadel Color. Decent paints and do the job perfectly.

46364864865_bfbc1db645_z.jpgDSC_1970

The view from the new bench.....Southerly facing and the back of the garage was covered in ivy....soon to be refurbed, skimmed and a pull down screen attached for a summer out door cinema screen.

47279424841_1efec87a6e_z.jpgDSC_1971

Now just to wait for the glue to dry and see if the PR.9 sits on her perch and is not tail heavy.

Unfortunately I didn't get chance to go to the SAAF museum in Pretoria, mainly down to not having enough time, and also that it was a lot further away than I thought.

Maybe next time? Though if I am in South Africa again it will be to Cape Town and to Thunder City instead.....

Looking good Mikey! not long now?

John

• Like 1

Well...........it's tail happy......apparently the 150 g in the nose section wasn't enough...meh!

I've resorted to using the tail rest that is supplied in the kit to keep thenose down. shouldn't look too bad I hope?

@Lord Riot pack that nose with as much lead as you can find my friend....

@canberra kid You're right...not much more left to go now. nav lights on the wing tips and some light weathering I think?

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear she's a tailsitter. Sounds like I need much more weight yet, I'm probably barely at 100g yet she already feels quite heavy. I'll probably fill the nosecone with nails too.

• Like 1

I'll make sure it's nice and pretty John 😂 😂 😂 

If you can used some lead flashing and hammer it into shape, that, I hope will do the job for you David. 

Right........shes done.....FINALLY!

There are a few bit's I've missed off, like the antena cable.....but I think she looks good as she is.

40335562423_054f81a66b_z.jpgDSC_1981

47300217941_a9eb822341_z.jpgDSC_1982

40335557913_999b9f3175_z.jpgDSC_1983

33424442018_e216f7eab7_z.jpgDSC_1984

32358475887_b2da622a95_z.jpgDSC_1985

33424438638_057a536283_z.jpgDSC_1986

And for a size comparrison to the 1/48 Hawker Hunter..

46385447045_1c4b7b4823_z.jpgDSC_1987

46385447035_b242c0c28e_z.jpgDSC_1988

Hope you enjoyed the build log?

• Like 3

Not commented much but I've followed this build and you've done an absolutely smashing job. Congrats! She's certainly a hefty aircraft and I do wonder whether the nose gear would hold up to the amount of weight necessary to keep the nose down on her?

• Like 1

o0oo Now there's an idea.....Need to get the stash down a little first though...a GR3 Harrier is probably the next Cold War aircraft to be built...

You deffinately need as much weight forward as you possibly can to keep the nose down, otherwise you will need to use the stand at the rear to keep it down....and I am sure @Lord Riot that your PR.9 will come out looking awesome!

• Like 1