Airfix 1:48 PR.9 Canberra 58 Squadron RAF Wyton

I had a good poke around the interwebs too and found this example of XH134 fromaround the same period of 39 Squadron, and can confirm that during this transition period, the large serials were used, Johns example of XH134 and this one of XH131 both deffinately have the serials underneath.

Credit for the image:

Construction Number: SH1721

Military Unit: 39 Squadron

Model English Electric Canberra PR.9

Operator: Royal Air Force

Airport: Eggebek (ETME), Germany

Photographer: Jack Poelstra

Date Taken: 02/06/1980

1599230-large.jpg

It would seem my mistake of adding the roundals was a slight cock up on my part.

• Like 4

Small update....

Upper fuselage decals and line work completed......a little concerend that there is a lot of silvering with the decals though?

43744789810_20b4c0b143_z.jpgDSC_1802

And now for the large serial number applied....I think they are straight? Again these are the Xtradecals that wrinkled like a a prune thats been out in the sun too long.....thanksfully they settled down over night. But still lots of silvering when dried......hmmm

44648272845_2406b74ea9_z.jpgDSC_1801

More to come.....

• Like 4

haha!! I have been thinking bout it, but I have a few ideas in mind......one of which is a tribute build.

I was looking through UK Serials for info on XH165, and I found myself looking at the losses page, specifically 1980.....there is an entry dated October 14th 1980, RAF Gütersloh 3 Squadron and a Harrier GR.3...1 month before I anounced my arrival into this world at RAF Gütersloh. Thanks to my parents swearing removed Han's bar one night in February 1980, and I was the result...haha!!  bet they regret it now!?! :D

http://www.ukserials.com/

14/10/1980 - XV792 AN -Harrier GR3 3 Sqn - Crashed after a technical defect while in a hover at Gutersloh, West Germany. The pilot ejected but was killed.

The MOD report - http://www.ukserials.com/pdflosses/maas_19801014_xv792.pdf

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=55562

My thoughts is building a 1/48 Harrier GR3 in XV792 markings in a hovered position? As a tribute to the brave pilot who tragically lost his life 1 month before my birth. I may mention it to my dad later on and see if he remembers the incident? 

This is the Harrier in question prior to the accident

p1459620266-3.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Mikey,

Wow this build has progressed a lot since I last checked in. Its now painted and decaled! You have already got your next project lined up I see.

I finally finished my Revell Hawk and posted it in the "Ready for Inspection" section. I don't know how it took me so long.

Mark.

• Like 1

Your 165 is looking good there.  Do like them especially in grey green.  So not put off & going for another Airfix then?  Think it is still the only way way option for a 1/48 GR3.   Not entirely convinced by the cockpit size but it looks like a Harrier

dYgbXsR_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

There is plenty of useful Harrier stuff at http://www.harriersig.org.uk/index.htm

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Diggers11 said:

Hi Mikey,

Wow this build has progressed a lot since I last checked in. Its now painted and decaled! You have already got your next project lined up I see.

I finally finished my Revell Hawk and posted it in the "Ready for Inspection" section. I don't know how it took me so long.

Mark.

It's almost there, still a way to go for the rest of the decals. Do a bit, let it dry, d a bit more. I'll check out your Hawk build too, I'm sure it turned out a peach too? 

Not sure on the next build yet, as I have a meteor in the stash too. The Harrier is a definite contender as my was on duty when the accident happened and remembers it well. 

7 minutes ago, bar side said:

Your 165 is looking good there.  Do like them especially in grey green.  So not put off & going for another Airfix then?  Think it is still the only way way option for a 1/48 GR3.   Not entirely convinced by the cockpit size but it looks like a Harrier

dYgbXsR_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

There is plenty of useful Harrier stuff at http://www.harriersig.org.uk/index.htm

Awesome build there chap! 

Need to find a 1/48 that's at the right price. Thanks for the link as well. Will definitely come in handy. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Saddly I dodn't wint the GR.3 Harrier @Lord Riot , I was sniped by 50p at the very last second...ah well.. there will be other opotunities.

Slight updaye on th Canberra though with the decaling not pretty much done. Tricky in places, especially around the nose and the "place tressel here" decals that were really difficult to see on the instructions. However,m I hope the efforts have paid off....

44901335075_8f7c97b9e1_z.jpgDSC_1829

44901334745_97553eea73_z.jpgDSC_1830

31943421568_524f963c64_z.jpgDSC_1831

31943421678_12412c371d_z.jpgDSC_1832

One very busy looking front end :)

44901319735_912ddd7d14_z.jpgDSC_1834

I have trialed Humrols clear gloss lacquer on the flaps, forgetting that I actually needed to place the Canberra's serial number on the front undercarriage. Oops!

Should be ok.

the trial of the lacquer went ok I think? a little bit f pools started as the flaps were upright instead of being flat, but I managed to save them I think?

I'm a little bit apprehensive about using the lacquer on the Canberra itself, but I think it will be ok with just one coat of gloss lacquer. Rather than spraying it on like I would with paint, I'll do a misting application to try and get an even finish. top half first, let it dry, and then the loer half.

Also in the middle of exchanging contracts on my new home, so there may not be many more updates for the Canberra until the new work bench is back up and running. I foresee many trips to Hades AKA....IKEA.....

• Like 6

I wish they did, haha!! closest I may get is a new display cabbinet for the kits I am planning to build....I also get the question we all have had from our significant others..."where are you going to put it when its done?"

Errrrr.......

Cheers Rob, hopefully it will go smoothly...oddly I quite like making flat packs, and so does my other half too. building them will be a breeze after this kit. all great fun though :)

• Like 1

Small update.

Looks like the work bench is being mothballed for the time being. The completion date on the new (ish) home is hopefully going to be within the next 10 days or so. Fingers crossed

Careful packing of all my kit and models will now take priority. Fear not...the workbench will be back up and running ASAP and hopefully the completion of the PR.9 as it's about 80% now.

I'll still be floating around the forums keeping an eye on everyones spectacular builds

Edited by Mikey-1980
  • Like 2

On 11/19/2018 at 10:01 AM, Mikey-1980 said:

Small update.

Looks like the work bench is being mothballed for the time being. The completion date on the new (ish) home is hopefully going to be within the next 10 days or so. Fingers crossed

Careful packing of all my kit and models will now take priority. Fear not...the workbench will be back up and running ASAP and hopefully the completion of the PR.9 as it's about 80% now.

I'll still be floating around the forums keeping an eye on everyones spectacular builds

Good luck with the move Mikey! Not far from the finish line now on the Canberra, keep up the good work!

John

• 2 months later...

Just to give my thread a little bump, but the Canberra is still on the book for completion.

A small issue of moving home and restoring a 1935 stairwell bannister first.

I am almost there with the build, just undercarriage, semi-gloss finish and some minor weathering to complete.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right then...it's been far too long for an up date on the Canberra, so I've managed to squeeze in a bit of bench time.

First thing to do was to dust off the inch layer thick of duct that had accumulated on the old bird.

The lean-to on the new house has already proven to be a makeshift paint booth. Armed with Tamiya's TS-13 clear semi-gloss.

46106279705_0ff51dbb15_z.jpgDSC_1932

33144764198_88657b10e0_z.jpgDSC_1933

So far I'm impressed by the application of the TS-13. It has dried incredibly quickly. the lower half of the fuselage is drying as I type.

Flaps are coated too and are drying. Hopefully I may get the under carriage done over the weekend or at least before I head of Johannesburg with work for a few days.

Incidentally there is the South African Air Force museum in Pretoria I'm going to try to get to whilst I am there. Apparently there is a Canberra there too.

https://saafmuseum.org.za/english-electric-canberra/

Hopefully more to follow in the coming days to finish the PR.9

• Like 5

So the TS-13 clear coat dried pretty quickly, not everywhere as the port wing underside now has mu grubby fingerprint on it....but you can barely see it.

And now the moment you've all been waiting for.......the big reveal......masking tape.......OFF!

46968864432_d07c84f265_z.jpgDSC_1936

A closer pic of the office seat...I am a bit disappointed with the navigators bang seat markings bubbling slightly...though I think this was because I applied the decal before the paint dried thoroughly. Plus the inordinate amount of filling, sanding, more filling and sanding has left an orange peal effect behind the cockpit

46107034375_d165bb7034_z.jpgDSC_1937

The underside is looking great too with the camera bays now revealed.

32079355917_60b3e9e29e_z.jpgDSC_1934

A closer pic of the camera bay...quite happy with the scratch build main camera. At first glance it looks pretty decent I think?

40056113493_1f76c62218_z.jpgDSC_1935

Next to be done will to sort out the undercarriage when I can. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Also, if anyone has any tips on spru stretching to make the radio cables would be greatly appriciated.

On a side note, this was my other build whilst sorted out the work bench and the house.

Lego's Saturn V rocket....1969 peices and stands 1 meter tall.

33145619388_9b26d22fcc_z.jpgDSC_1939

• Like 4