Airfix 1:48 PR.9 Canberra 58 Squadron RAF Wyton

Major update!!!

The Canberra finally has a lick of paint!

Underside of the fuselage was painted in AS-11 and then the masking began. I only remembers half way through to actually take a pic.

31302546708_3bf4a0332c_z.jpgDSC_1780

Masked up and the first coat of AS-10 was applied. Sadly the seem lines still showed through, but just slightly. the effect on the tail rudder worked well to look battered, but still retained some of the ribbing effect.

45113184342_48aaeda2c1_z.jpgDSC_1781

Half a pack of white tac later and half a roll of masking tape, cammo pattern was layed out. the curvature of the cammo pattern on the fuselage and engine nacelles was tricky but I think I managed to get the right effect.

45113184082_001503a325_z.jpgDSC_1782

A few light coats of AS-30 applied.

45112989202_293dbfe3e7_z.jpgDSC_1783

And now for the releveal.....my favourite and most anxious part of this process....did it work? did it bleed?

TA DA!!! - Looked pretty decent! nice sharp lines too!

43347758500_e6456d7f4b_z.jpgDSC_1784

The underside turned our nicely too with the wrp of the cammo over the leading edges of wings and tail turn our nicely. there was a sligh bit of bleeding near to the nacelles and the lines toward the nose do not quite line up, but with some careful hand painting it can be rectified.

Also, the main camera bay lost some of its masking during the reveal, giving a slight winking effect...haha!!

44250345255_19639c277c_z.jpgDSC_1785

All flaps have been given a coating of AS-11 and awaiting further detailed painting. All in all a busy weekend, but a huge step forward. Hope it passes the scrutiny of my fellow enthusiasts?

Edited by Mikey-1980
additional info :)
  • Like 9

Cheers John :)

She's coming along nicely, Stiull unure where to change the undercarriage bays from white to black? The insides of the doors will be painted the "anti-corrosion" glod/bronze colour though.

Edited by Mikey-1980

4 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

That camo pattern has come out superb! I think I might try blu-tack and tape next time instead of hand painting the green. 

It's well worth giving it a go, you get a defined but nice soft transition between the colours. Tamiya's rattle cans are good to to give a really nice satin finish.

I would also highly recommend using the Tamiya masking tape first to define the line betwwen the upper and lower paint line. then use a good masking tape to fill in the holes.

Lots of prep gives a good result :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@j-fever Then get on it!!! Next build yeah??? good man!!

I managed a bit of bench time last night, and managed to get the undercarriage at least to a point where I'm happy with them

As luck would have it, Citadel Colours - Dwarf Bronze was a pretty damn near perfect colour for the anti-corrosion paint for the legs and inner flap doors. A little weathering may be needed, but generally pretty decent.

44478449225_510dcef184_z.jpgDSC_1794

Undercarriage bays are getting some black / dark washes to dirty them up a bit. May need a little more work, but getting there.

45392473641_edeff0dae0_z.jpgDSC_1795

Smaller paint details on the fuselage are  coming along nicely and I expect to potentially starting the decalling process soon enough. Te flaps will need stripping and repaint as I made a slight balls up. hey ho. 

Whilst I'm thnking about it, any recomendations for a good gloss clear coat I can use that wont ruin the paint & decals? I want to give the finish that high gloss finish prior to minor weathering.

• Like 2

Brief update.

Tail section modified as I soon realised I had the wrong part fitted for the sensor array, Forgive me as I am unsure what they are called....FWR??

30473533767_fc58cbeeb6_z.jpgDSC_1797

I hop[e I have the colour correct as from images I've seen the sensor domes look to be a gold colour?

Again, Citadel colours came to the resue again and their metalics range of Burnished Gold worked perfectly.

I've gone as far as I can I think with paint for the moment. Next up markings for XH135 in her late '70's RAF Wyton, 39 Squadron markings and livery.

• Like 2

After playing taxi service to the teenagers over the weekend, I managed a little bit of bench time to get some of the decals started.....

Firstly, Xtradecals.....Worst I have ever used......first the large wing roundals had a crease through them and when soaked turnout to be a cut right the way through causing it to split. Luckily the standard decal sheet from Airfix wasn't all that bad to use. VERY thick and took an age to soak in decal fix to soften them up.

Secondly, the xtradecals are rediculously thin and very vry delicate....with the lightest of touches to remove from the backing paper....this happens...39 squadron crest virtually destroyed...my options are....remove and place the light blue ones of and go for 39 squardron circa 1985 rather than late '70's.....or stick with it and say its light airframe patina from service? I have repositioned it as I noticed it was slight wonky last night.

43657620720_10dca8987f_z.jpgDSC_1799

Shall I stick with the Red 39 Squadron emblem or remove and try the light blue option circa 1985?

Upper and lower wing roundals are on, though I did set them slight further back from the air vortex generators....mauny because it would cause a faf of biblical proportions to fit the thick decals over them.

44749843364_04b1b3880f_z.jpgDSC_1798

The nose section bang seat cover was also masked off, painted and the decal applied, though it has left a shiny sheen and crinkled slightly....further softening needed too.

It would seem the curse of kit building fighting me is begining to strike. a little time and patience will help....

• Like 3

Done a decent job there @Gadget2012

I think it may now be too late to move the decals now though. they are tight against the generators though so could get away with it.

Just that issue with the squardon crest to deal with.... 🤔

Good work and perseverance Mikey and you've done a terrific job on the painting. You're experiencing a worry of mine with decals. A lot of my stash is kits with old decals that are often thick and yellowed. My after market decals are almost equally old and usually very fragile. It's amazing how often they conspire to try and spoil so much hard work up to that point.

• Like 1

Cheers @Filler

It is slowly getting there......One day I'll have a build where no issues will be experienced...and my suspicions will be hightend as to why...haha!!

I shall see how the rest of the decalling goes before I make the decion to alter or remain with the red 39 squadron crest.

Does that canberra come with free sunglasses?? 

WOW That's a bright bird!! 

I'll need to try and do some repair work on the red disc though. Should just about get it looking OK? 

• Haha 1

So last night I mainly repaired the red 39 Squadron disc....

A mixture of Tamiya standard red and citadel colours Terracotta Red blended over a white base coat. The bomb crest was then very carefully painted back in.

Turned out better than I expected too.

44777548494_23e52e6476_z.jpgDSC_1800

I am also less than impressed by the xtra decals sheet. After soaking the XH165 fuselage decals for a minute or so, and then applied the fuselage the decal started to crinkle instantly. eventually it settles down ith some silvering, but I think I may be abe to get away with it once the top gloss coat is applied....Still looking for one that would be suitable. so any recomendations are appriciated .

I do have a slight concern withthe instructions for the registration markings though, and I hope @canberra kid can advise? 

The under side of the wings.......Would a late '70's PR.9 have the roundals or the large print registration number XH165 for 39 Squadron?

The xtra decals instructions seem to conflict this direction as one labeled "60's, 70's & 80's with the registration on the underside, but equally there is direction for the 70's & 80's variants of the same squadron to have the roundal.....I have stayed with the roundal, but it can be removed if I have this wrong. 

• Like 2

I manageed to find an image online that should highlight the predicament. The details isn't the best, so please forgive me....Of the 2 camo schemes I am currently doing the lower of the 2 (late 70's, 80's & 90's) with the 2 tone roundals above and underside of the wings....I'm going for a circa 1977 ish period as I now know this is when my family was stationed at Wyton prior to being shipped out to RAF Gütersloh and my appearance into the world, apparently a result of a drunkard night out at Han's bar.....thanks mom & dad for that revelation aged 14.....I'm the drunk mistake eh?? haha! :P

I digress though, the roundals I think would be correct for the period I going for, just not 100% if they should be on the underside as well. 🤔

82542_0.jpg

Edited by Mikey-1980

Hi John,

Thank you again for your wealth of knowledge and archive of photographs. Some very careful removal ahead. 

Definitely owe you a beer or 4 for all your help. 

@exdraken don't let the size hold you back....go for it!!! 

• Like 2