American (Shelton) Gyro AG-4 Crusader

40 minutes ago, Courageous said:

What metallic paint are you using there Moa?

Stuart 

Hi Stuart

It is Alclad II Copper. Even when applied on a gloss black base (like here) it is not a shinny hue, opposite for example to Alclad Polished Aluminium, so a gloss clear coat must follow (also to facilitate decaling).

I use acrylic floor polish.

I applied the same color on my previous scratchbuilt of the Shelton Crusader over a gloss white base, and the resulting tone was lighter, a bit more luminous.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking very nice.

I have never used Alclad but I have heard that it is prone to lifting if you mask over it for different panel shades, do you have any problems? Do you airbrush your  Klear as I have heard stories about it being a nightmare to clean afterwards? And if so, do you dilute it? Pressure?

Stuart

Hi Stuart

I never experienced paint lifting with masking on Alclad, ever.

I always airbrush the acrylic floor polish. I use either thinner, window cleaner or Simple Green to clean the airbrush. I had very seldom experienced blockage, but it happened, nothing that more cleaning won't clear.

I tend to use low pressure, about 15 psi.

I am a believer that there are no recipes or advice that can substitute practice. 

So that's my only real "secret": practice.

And yes, mistakes are made, blotched jobs happen, but if we heed Master Yoda in his latest movie appearance: "Failure is the best teacher" or words to that effect.

• Thanks 1

Pitot and control cables in place:

IMG_6421+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The replacement exhaust pipes, made of brass tube. An angle is sanded, and then the piece is cut off, and then repeat eight times:

IMG_6423+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Some of the decals on. The kit's decals have solid color and are very, very thin, which is superb.
The other side of that coin is that they fold on themselves at the least provocation. Beware.
The exhaust tubes are in place. Later they will be painted:

IMG_6424+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 5

Since the kit's nose decals were missing relevant white lettering, I commissioned from Arctic Decals a small set of substitute images, seen also in photos. Two go on both sides of the nose and two on the rudders. They are not mirrored, but are the same image.

They deliver invariably high quality sets:

IMG_6441+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Edited by Moa
  • Like 3