Revell P-26A, Camo Trials of 1935

My first RFI here at the forums, Revell's antique P-26A Peashooter in markings worn during a 1925 camo trial.

Brush painted with a mix of LifeColor, Tamiya, Model Masters, and Vallejo paints, with decals from the bin and Print Scale Sheets.

Soon, a P-12E in the same style of camo, using the Monogram Kit and 2 conversion kits from Starfighter Resin, one for the tail and the other for a new top wing.

Eventually, a P-6E in the same camo, using the Monogram Kit and an interior set from Starfighter Resin. My first try with the Olimp kit was scrapped as the kit simply would not seem to go together.

P-26A

P-26A

• Like 19

A very nice build of a somewhat historic period.

It's worth noting that during this time period, while this and a few other types were the top line fighter of the US air corps, the Beechcraft Staggerwing was faster than any fighter the US had.

2 hours ago, Graeme H said:

Always a sweet little kit, good job always interesting seeing different markings

It's definitely one I enjoyed, I've almost finished my third and have a few more planned.

2 hours ago, fubar57 said:

Beauty

2 hours ago, Unfinished project said:

Nice. 👍

Thanks you two! Another Peashooter will be up soon - a Pearl Harbor Survivor.

2 minutes ago, modeltech said:

A very nice build of a somewhat historic period.

It's worth noting that during this time period, while this and a few other types were the top line fighter of the US air corps, the Beechcraft Staggerwing was faster than any fighter the US had.

Of all planes to be faster I would have placed my bets on perhaps the Lockheed Vega, but certainly not the staggerwing! Ive actually been trying to find a decent kit of the staggerwing- perhaps the AMT will have to do. Thanks for the praise and info alike!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gamevender said:

All these camo schemes were done with water based paint as they were meant to be temporary. Therefore they weathered pretty quickly. 

That's part of the reason why I didn't really bother to be too worried about thinning, etc. I have yet to do any weathering on any planes other than basic chipping, but I hope to start with the P-12E. We'll see.

6 hours ago, glatisant said:

That's little gem. Have a few in the stash. Ancient but always worth a go!

Couldn't agree more. It's a shame their isn't a more modern, mainstream P-26. I know the AZModel kit is really nice and I hope to pick one up sometime, but other than that and the inaccurate Pavla attempt, there's nothing new. The next P-26 that I start will most likely get a full resin cockpit though, along with a new engine. I may even sand it down and reshape the nose some if I get ambitious. Hopefully that will make for a nice result.

19 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

:thumbsup:  Thats a good looking Peashooter ! Im not just saying that BTW

Well thank you! Hopefully the others will look just as nice! 🙂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gamevender said:

Wasn't meant as a criticism. They were also pretty crudely applied, usually by brush, so if they are too neatly done, they are not strictly "accurate". Your's looks fine. 

Not taken as it! I hadn't considered that they would weather faster than normal so it's good to know that now!

1 hour ago, Killingholme said:

Interesting scheme. These Revell/Monogram kits are still little gems as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for posting.

Quite a number of them sure are, almost to the point that it isn't annoying that some of them have no modern alternative. 

1 hour ago, HOUSTON said:

Tweener.

Hoorah!!!  :clap2:

ONE STUNNING model...

just AWESOME.   :yikes:

KUDOS.:worthy::worthy:

Many thanks!

Hi Tweener,

a nice model indeed well built, and painted in one of the worst paint schemes the American ever devised!

Well done.

JR