Sabre F.5 RCAF. 1/48th

Finally got this done just before my hols. With huge thanks to Camper1 for supplying me decals 👍!!!  The kit is the Academy one that was a freebie at the club a couple or so months ago. It had been started with badly applied 'baco foil' at the rear fuselage half and where it had been cut in half to display the engine! My task was to reunite the fuselage halves, get rid of the foil and put it all together! Then some begging for the decals...

Anyway, here we have the end product and hope you all enjoy.

GgVgOd.jpg

em68PL.jpg

El8ZPu.jpg

JT8KNa.jpg

R7yNcb.jpg

2FxNDf.jpg

vSHjy3.jpg

CuvZLi.jpg

That little white protrusion on port side near jet pipe is the replacement fuel dump pipe having lost the kit part and needs to be painted red. It can be seen in red in pics above thats because the photos here are not in strict sequence.
ARsxl8.jpg

WvDqGr.jpg

T4hgdN.jpg

The above two pics show a touch of my own is used here by way of decorating the intake and jet pipe covers with spare roundels applied to blue painted covers. The roundel decals came from a  1/72 Hobbycraft Otter as they have the correct 'silver leaf style MAole leaf, though not brilliant but does the job. It was an inspiration!
nizWPQ.jpg

PEOOFh.jpg

ewUcHr.jpg

Akcrl2.jpg

The fin markings represent those specially applied for a NATO gunnery meet at which the RCAF Sabre units came out tops! The one I have modelled is 23381 of 413 'Elephant' Squadron of 3 Day Fighter Wing Zweibrucken, West Germany. ( At the time!!!???)

(Actually, I note that 23381 was actually a Mk. 6 and I had really planned to do a Mk.5 due to having a hard wing with fence. I know this will offend some  but  a bit of artistic licence is claimed here)

• Like 14

2 hours ago, camper1 said:

Hi Paul

You made a nice job of the Sabre,I wouldn't worry about the wing  the aircraft as depicted is correct.

Photo's show 23381 with the wing fences.

Ian

Cheers Ian. And a big thanks for the decals. Relieved about the wing situation. I was a ware of the differences but get confused sometimes...  But my Canadair Sabre refs are a bit limited with only the old Aircam by Osprey for pics but nearly all show slatted wings. And the book that deals with the RAF Sabres plus the 1/72 leading Edge decal inserts.  The rest I learn form here on BM.

2 hours ago, Unfinished project said:

Very nice build I like the intake and exhaust covers they add a finishing touch to the model 👍

I used the covers to hide a couple of naughty bits and it made use of parts that would have gone in to my spares ... or binned! 

• Like 1