So I actually managed to make a start in my 3D printed lightsaber hilt today

Trial fit

Today was spent disassembling, a little filing and dry fitting. Everything does already fit together, but not massively well so I’m cleaning all of the join points. 

Trial fit

the calculator ‘bubblestrip’ is Especially problematic, I need to lose a good 2mm from the overall width as well as around half a mm from the thickness. The plan is that mask all of he joins and then give it a good couple of coats of high build primer from Halfrauds before an eternity of rubbing down and wet flatting before I really start to do things properly.

Still can’t decide if I’m going to build this as a rusty relic, used or mint condition. I think I’m going to settle on it having had some use (because I’m not yet able to do rust effects etc to a level I am happy with).

• Like 6

Cheers; progress is a little slow because work keeps getting in the way. This is the first time I’ve ever worked with something 3D printed, but the price was just too good to miss 

• 10 months later...

Hi Houston, thanks for asking; It’s slow progress, I’ve got a few good coats of primer on and I need to start sanding - just not managing to get any time in the workshop to do anything at the moment.

1st coat of primer

I also want to add some weight so I’m thinking of what to use (probably hot glue a load of pennies together and seal them in). As soon as I make any kind of progress I’ll post. 

Oh yeah, high build primer and airbrush spray booths are not good friends...

Damn

so I guess I need a new filter now too! :swear:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1