Albatros DV - 1/72 - Jasta 5 - Ancient Airfix Kit - Lessons Learned

Hi all,

Having just joined this forum, I thought I'd share 3 builds from my youth, and the lessons learned for each of them before I start sharing current builds. 

Many many years ago I build the old 1/72 Airfix Albatros DV. The kit is from the 50s, originally, and has been re-boxed multiple times. I got it in this box, many of you might remember it:

Box_zpsgqzroe2n.png

The plane I chose to build was a Jasta 5 crate, shown in this picture, as it looked so beautifully elegant:

Foto_zpsrveosvkm.png

Things I wanted to try with this kit

This was my first WWI kit I decided to:

1. Rig - I got transparent fishing line and pulled it over a black permanent marker. 
  2. Paint using masking tape - I cut the star out of tape and painted the green fuselage band around it
  3. Angle the control surfaces 

The model was painted without an airbrush.

The completed model

Albatros%20DV%20-%201_zpsxzt2izje.jpg

Albatros%20DV%20-%204_zpsxebx85lc.jpg

Albatros%20DV%20-%202_zpszsaepkfb.jpg

Albatros%20DV%20-%203_zps2kqxbgpg.jpg

The lessons learned whilst building this particular kit

1. Rigging is much less daunting than it seems and adds nicely to the finished model
  2. Masking tape works, even with brushes 
  3. Angling control surfaces is a nice touch and worth the effort in 1/72
  4. A windscreen and propeller decals for the manufacturer logo are also quick wins in terms of added realism
  5. A semi-gloss finish looks nice, especially on varnished plywood, but reveals every unevenness of the paint job 😮
  6. A great finish using brushed enamel paint is very difficult to achieve - airbrushing might be unavoidable

Best regards,

Rob

• Like 21

I'm really impressed that this your first biplane build - it looks very good to me.

I brush paint using acrylics and when thinned paint very smooth so why not try these?

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Epeeman said:

I brush paint using acrylics and when thinned paint very smooth so why not try these?

Very interesting. I was considering exploring this option, but hesitated. Do you have example pictures of models finished in acrylics using brushes? I'd be very keen to see the finish quality you can achieve with water-based colours. It would be great if it worked really well because I could say goodbye to smelly enamels...

Silk purse from a sow's ear.  Nice build of this ancient kit.  Jasta 5 is one of my favorite WW1 units, love their markings.

Andrew

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2018 at 10:15 PM, Brotrob said:

Very interesting. I was considering exploring this option, but hesitated. Do you have example pictures of models finished in acrylics using brushes? I'd be very keen to see the finish quality you can achieve with water-based colours. It would be great if it worked really well because I could say goodbye to smelly enamels...

Hello Rob -

Apologies for delay in replying - I've been on the forum recently.

No problem, mate -

Just a few examples - I brush paint using Revell 'Aqua colour' range - good design of pot, thins with plain water - when nicely thinned out the paint will dry smooth - suggest using nuetral base coat first (e.g. light grey, etc.) then apply thin layers of top coat after each coat has dried.

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...